charging odd number of cells?

cityevader

Enlightened
I'm about to get a bunch of rechargeable AAA's for my headlamps. I currently have a nicd/nimh charger that will only charge if 2 or 4 batteries are installed, so when my 3D mag needed charging, I'd have to put a fresh cell into one of the slots in order to charge the drained one. (BTW, I no longer use this setup after going to 18650's, but still have the charger).

Since I have to get some AAA anyway, and it's easy enough to get a charger/battery combo pack from several major brands, will charging 3 cells at a time affect anything? Several item descriptions say charges 2 or 4 at a time, but none specifically say capable of 1 or 3 at a time.

Anybody know for sure which ones do?

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
When it ways 2 or 4 at a time, it usually means you have to charge in pairs. Look for a charger that says "any number of batteries at a time". Usually, if the charger has 4 indicator LEDs, it means it has 4 channels.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ran into the "odd number cell" problem a while back and from what I've read hear, I needed a charger that has independent channels. I ordered a MH-C808M which is probably overkill but I have a "buy the right one the first time" mentality these days.:D

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
none specifically say capable of 1 or 3 at a time
Many do.

For example, all of these chargers I've picked up over the years:

Sanyo MQN05
UltraLast ULINOV2
Targus/Titanium TG2800
Duracell CEF21
GP PowerBank GPPB14
Maha MH-C9000

Not all of these are good (I like the Maha, the Duracell, the Sanyo and the UltraLast the best), but all can charge an odd number of cells without trouble.

When choosing a charger, make sure it says it can charge from 1-4 cells, and also make sure the charging time for 4 cells is less than 5 hours (less than 3 hours is best). If it has 4 separate indicator lights or LCD indicators that is better still.

Last edited: