Maha MH-C777PlusII Charger & AW14500 Battery

JeffSim

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I've a Maha MH-C777PlusII Universal LCD Charger/Analyzer/Conditioner and would like to know if anyone has used it to charge a single protected Li-on battery like the AW 14500? According to its specs, it supports charging 3.6V to 14.4V (1 to 4 cells) Lithium-Ion batteries. Is it safe to use it to charge a single protected AW 14500 battery over night? Or is it better to get a dedicated charger?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff :confused:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Jeff,

Welcome to CPF.

The C777 +II has a bit of a checkered reputation. I would suggest that you do your first charge while watching it closely. If things go as planned, you can then adjust your vigilance.

I don't think it is a good idea to leave Li-Ion cells charging overnight, unless they are out on the patio.

Tom

JeffSim

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, SilverFox, for your warm welcome to a newbie and the info on this charger.

I've read a lot on this forum about the different chargers and it's almost unanimous that the Bila IBC is the best for Li-ion batteries. However, it is not very commonly available and would require spacers for 14500 batteries. Where is the best place to get the Bila? Shipping to Australia must be reasonable as it is already pricey. What would be the second best charger after Bila?

Cheers
Jeff :)

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Jeff,

There are actually two versions of the Pila. One is just the plain Pila the other is the Pila IBC. You want the IBC version.

Hobby chargers are only a little more expensive and give you lots of options. You may want to take a look at those. You have to manufacture a way to hold your cells, but that is pretty easy to do.

I am not up on where to purchase the Pila IBC. Perhaps someone else will have that information. You may also want to visit the CPF Marketplace and see if there are any links there.

Tom

Ziemas

Enlightened
Thanks, SilverFox, for your warm welcome to a newbie and the info on this charger.

I've read a lot on this forum about the different chargers and it's almost unanimous that the Bila IBC is the best for Li-ion batteries. However, it is not very commonly available and would require spacers for 14500 batteries. Where is the best place to get the Bila? Shipping to Australia must be reasonable as it is already pricey. What would be the second best charger after Bila?

Cheers
Jeff :)
The US Pila distributor ships overseas for USD25. They were also extremely helpful with trying to find a 'local' distributor. Perhaps you could contact them? Or as Pila is a Hong Kong based company maybe the home office could sell you one. Shipping certainly should be cheaper than from the US.

http://www.pilatorch.com/contactus.html

http://www.pila-usa.com/contactinfo.html

8Fishes

Newly Enlightened
Just a heads up on pila-usa,

Orderd the charger recently and they are OOS. Not sure when they are going to get more stock as it's been like a week so far since their last message back to me.