• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

WIP: Couple of Flame Colored Mokume Gane Lights

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some WIP photos for a couple of lights that I am making out of two-color Mokume Gane. The goal will be to have

these flame colored and then either coated to protect the colors, or possibly colored, then turned down to expose

the bright silver. I'll see what I get as I go along. Here's the last flame colored light that I made using

Mokume Gane:

Volcano%20Killer%20Final-1.jpg

Posted 5/19/10:

So, I'm using the same basic design--a modification of my Killer AAA Light--these are about 14-15mm in diameter

and about 53-55mm long and use a 5mm LED driven at 90mA and powered by an eneloop rechargeable AAA battery. Only

this time, I'm not going to make the light look quite so old--nor am I going to machine any grooves in the

light--I intend to let the natural twist pattern speak for itself more. Here are the two bodies that I've made,

with the heads screwed down onto the bodies:

Flamed%20MG%20Light-1.jpg

And here's a close=up of the head, showing the boring need for the LED and the driver board:

Flamed%20MG%20Light-2.jpg

I am etching these so that there is considerable relief between the two surfaces, as I might want to turn the

light down as one of the final finishing operations. After etching:

Flamed%20MG%20Light-3.jpg

Another photo that shows the depth of the etch a bit better:

Flamed%20MG%20Light-4.jpg

Update:

I torched the light, trying to be a bit more patient this time, so that I wouldn't go past some of the interesting colors. I decided to stop quite early this time,

when I had a red/violet color:

Flamed%20MG%20Light-5.jpg

And a close-up:

Flamed%20MG%20Light-6.jpg

Then it was back to the lathe to skim the oxides off the nickel silver, leaving a highly contrasted light:

Flamed%20MG%20Light-7.jpg

Last edited:

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uh huh, yup, that would be a nice thing, too. :devil:

Just need to find the time. Actually, I'll probably wait until I'm doing my mini run of sterling silver LPKs. :D

:huh: Do you have a very rough time estimate? I just need to know when to schedule that kidney removal surgery. :whistle:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The second light took quite a different turn, due to some issues that arose while etching the Mokume Gane--seems that there was a particular layer that wanted to develop pits. I've induced pitting when it suits me, but usually all over the body of the light. This localized pitting just looked bad, so I had to turn the light down to remove the pitting for the most part.

Then I flamed the body and left the nickel silver black, rather than turning it down, as in the first one:

MG%20Black-Orange%20Final-4.jpg

The head of the light is actually some tri-color Mokume Gane, consisting of copper, brass and nickel silver, although it is hard to see the brass. In addition, I decided to put some grooves into the head, for decorative effect and a better grip for turning the light on and off.

MG%20Black-Orange%20Final-5.jpg

So here are the final two lights from the same bar of Mokume Gane:

MG%20Polished%20Nickel%20Silver%20Orange-2.jpg

MG%20Black-Orange%20Final-3.jpg

I'll undoubtedly do a few more of these before too long, but I've got a bunch of Chad Nichols SS Damascus that needs to be turned (no pun intended) into lights first. :devil:

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love the newest mg creation there Fred! The difference in tone between the nickel and copper is phenomenal!

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
:popcorn: That's friggin' awesome.

I love how it went from being a possibly bad situation, and turned into something awesomely minimal, sleek, and purrrdy.

Thanks for sharing!

:thumbsup: john

roswald

Newly Enlightened
I just received the 2nd of these lights (dark contrast and small flutes in head) it is gorgeous and extremely well made. Great light and great dealing with Fred

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
And I've just received the first one (the shiny nickel silver one). It is even nicer in the metal. I think it is more of a piece of jewelry/art rather than a tool :grin2: