Novae Dive Cree LED Flashlight 900 lumen

jspeybro

Enlightened
looks like it has quite some movable parts.

only 1 18650 for a ssc p7, not sure if that is enough for a dive.

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, it's advertised as running for 2 hours on high but it's not going to last an hour on high.

But at least it's a hid rite light

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
My guess its direct drive or resistor drive.
So it may put out full power ( I bet its not 900lm) for a short time and then slowly dim down over the next 2 hours.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
My guess its direct drive or resistor drive.
So it may put out full power ( I bet its not 900lm) for a short time and then slowly dim down over the next 2 hours.

Which would not be as advertised which was high for 2 hours, 3 for medium and 4 on low. Even those wouldn't be right as low (at 10%) would be more than twice medium (at 50%).

Obviously whoever is advertising the "Mariner D900" doesn't fully understand the product.

There are a couple of these newer Chinese lights that have come out recently when I haven't been able to locate the source or even a large reseller such as DX or the like.

I don't know why these lights have to be so ugly (eye of the beholder I know).

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
But just about all lights are advertised this way. I guess it could be considered accurate since it runs on high mode for 2 hours. Thats not to say it puts out 900 lumen for 2 hours.

This is where the buyers understanding of the specs are so important.

rack201

Newly Enlightened
Hello Hello.. first post.

I found the forum when looking at purchasing what I think is known on here as one of the 'ugly light' diving variants from DX.

Can anyone help me understand the difference between the MC-E version and the P7 version. The MC-E version is advertised at 640lm and the P7 at 900Lm, but I have seen posts claiming that the MC-E is superior..

I am interested in brightness (obviously) and beam angle - prefer tighter/more throw over flood. I know the advertised lumens are not to be believed, but does anyone have both of these lights that can give me some kind of comparison?

Cheers

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the MC-E version and the lumen rating is about right for that version. The MC-E also has a little tighter beam.

The P7is not of a bin that could deliver the claimed lumens nor is it driven hard enough. I don't have this version but on another board there was a review by someone who had both. He said that the beam was tighter on the MC-E and that they both were about the same brightness and that perhaps the MC-E was even a little brighter.

The only direct comparison I can give you is of the MC-E and my old UK Light Cannon 10 W HID. I took both lights on several dives. The MC-E has about the same 6 degree hotspot as the LC and has a little more spill and a much more natural color. In other words slightly warmer.

They both seem to throw about the same distance. I've since sold the Light Cannon as I no longer use it.

Given that the P7 and MC-E are roughly the same I'd always give the edge for diving to the one with the tighter beam.

Last edited:

Dashrynn

Newly Enlightened
i owned the other light that has 2 18650s, 600 lumens is about right with a tight beam. The switch gave out about a month after buying it, could have been because i was using it out of the water and burned up the switch or something. it would only work on high and off....then i dropped it and broke the lens. Now it sits in pieces on my work bench

Last edited: