Phoenix Electroforms
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: High efficient 5A/9A Buck Converter for SST-50, SST-90

Flashaholic*

Default Re: High efficient 5A/9A Buck Converter for SST-50, SST-90

As I said before it's not as easy as that. The driver has a softstart function and a pwm will not work in conjunction with softstart.

Maybe you can get some dimming with 30Hz and an min. on/off ration of maybe 1/30 with simply turning on and off the driver but that is not useful I think.

I'm already working on both a pwm and analog solution but as always I don't have enough time to work on that so I'm progressing very slowly but I'm sure it will work after all. It just takes a "little" more time.

thanks DW, keep us posted !!

2x SST-90 9A driver

Unenlightened

Any news about the multi mode driver? We are all waiting

Regards from Switzerland
    Luca

Flashaholic*

Hi,
    got it working but there are still bigger problems. I don't know when I have them ready but I will post it here when I'm finished

Hi

This is new territory for me so please excuse my inexperience.

I'm looking at the best setup I can get in a Mag 6D and it occurs to me that I could use multiple (3?) SST-50 or even a single SST-90 with 6 x 32600/32650 Li-Ion batteries and your driver.

Is this a setup that would work in your opinion and if so which heatsink/reflector would you think would work best. I'm trying to get a light with a throw of about 35M+ and am not looking for lots of flood.

Thanks in advance.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by MakeNoobslookNoob View Post
    Hi

I'm looking at the best setup I can get in a Mag 6D and it occurs to me that I could use multiple (3?) SST-50 or even a single SST-90 with 6 x 32600/32650 Li-Ion batteries and your driver.

Is this a setup that would work in your opinion and if so which heatsink/reflector would you think would work best. I'm trying to get a light with a throw of about 35M+ and am not looking for lots of flood.

Thanks in advance.
    you would be over the specified voltage that der witchel posted in post #1.

6x 32xx0 would be 25v fresh off the charger.

Quote Originally Posted by irv_usc View Post

Well I could use 5 batteries perhaps or could anyone suggest an alternate setup? (I don't want to use just 4 batteries to be honest) I understand if I use a resistor I'll just be burning batteries to produce heat? If I use three SST-50's in series can I wire them in a way to use the 6 batteries?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by MakeNoobslookNoob View Post
    Hi

Thanks in advance.
    You can try SST-50/SST-90 in a Luxeon Rebel based Mag-Lite:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=283352

It throws pretty far with the new reflector. A multiple LED setup won't increase throw but will rather decrease in throw

Quote Originally Posted by irv_usc View Post

That is correct. I would use 2-4 lithium batteries.

6 batteries can't be used because the driver doesn't suppport it. Adding a resistor is the worst thing you can do
    Last edited by Der Wichtel; 08-02-2010 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Wichtel View Post
    Hi,
    got it working but there are still bigger problems. I don't know when I have them ready but I will post it here when I'm finished
    any details on the modes?

I'd love to see a driver with 2 modes that switches to the lower mode automatically when the batteries are low (to keep it running a while longer in low mode), but I guess you would need to set some threshold with a resistor or something to handle different battery packs.

Flashaholic*

Paypal sent for 43.05 euro. I need one 9A regulator with shipping and registered mail. I forgot to add a note in the paypal transaction, but the paypal number is 6BV11928HK967802J. Let me know if you need any more information. New paypal number is 6U97635208276640S.

Thanks,
    Harry
    Last edited by Starlight; 08-05-2010 at 01:40 PM.
    Endeavor to eschew obfuscation.

Default Re: High efficient 5A/9A Buck Converter

for 2 x 9A drivers.

Please PM me if there is any trouble.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by ahorton View Post
    for 2 x 9A drivers.

Please PM me if there is any trouble.
    Sorry but wrong paypal address. Please always contact me first before ordering
    PM sent

again for two 9A drivers.

Flashaholic*

I would suggest that in post number 1, to the right of your email address, add: (note, this is not the paypal address). It would save you some confusion.
    Endeavor to eschew obfuscation.

Patiently awaiting a multi-mode SST-50 driver to power a SST-50 with 2x 18650's in series.

Flashaholic*

Here is the progress of the dimmable version up until now.
    Unfortunately some components have lead times of up to 20 weeks ... The components on the prototype board are all sample parts.

I hope I can find some alternatives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etxDyqYyO9E

Here is the progress of the dimmable version up until now.
    Unfortunately some components have lead times of up to 20 weeks ... The components on the prototype board are all sample parts.

I hope I can find some alternatives.

Using maxim parts?

Flashaholic*

currently all manufacturers have lead time problems. Because of the economic crysis during the last years they reduced production. But since no one expected the economy would recover that fast especially in the electronics industry all manufacturers can't come up with the demand.
    That's the reason for the big shortage in components and the rising prices.

I believe it, Ive had isses getting what I thought was common parts from TI, who is usualy rather well stocked in different places.

But a awesome samples and long lead times sounds like a usual dallas/maxim symptom.

Either way, nice work, cant wait to see it released.

Flashaholic*

Got it working with a MCU finally. It was pretty difficult as there are so much interference that the MCU shuts off or doesn't respond anymore. Tried different capacitors from 0.1µF to 15µF without luck then found out that one trace is too close to a power trace.... removing that trace and bypassing it with a wire solved it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-OD2...eature=channel

Any idea on what modes you're going to offer?

Flashaholic*

Sweet! Also interested in the modes and what you ended up with for switching (was that just a pushbutton?).
    Finning does help dissipate heat. This is why the fins are removed before cooking fish. Otherwise it will throw off the heat and not reach the proper cooking temperature. --Duglite

Unenlightened

Hi, looks great. Which MCU is installed?
    When can i order one?

Regards from Switzerland
    Luca

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by jspeybro View Post
    Any idea on what modes you're going to offer?
    I will use the same modes as in the as in the 2.8A driver again with version A and B. But I'm open to any other ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Th232 View Post
    Sweet! Also interested in the modes and what you ended up with for switching (was that just a pushbutton?).
    Modes are changed with a momentary switch. I was too lazy to solder a switch onto the board so I used the multimeter leads.
    There is still a little problem which can't be solved that easily. The quiescent current is around 6mA which will suck the batteries emtpy in a week. I tried to use a mosfet to disconnect the driver from power but that does not work properly. The few mOhms across the mosfet will cause voltage ripples so that the MCU doesn't work anymore. The only solution I can think of is using an additional switch in combination of the momentary switch or simply unscrewing the tailcap a litttle bit if the light is not in use.

Of course I could also program the driver to change modes by turning the driver on and off within ~1-2s but I'm afraid that the switch will wear off very fast by the big sparks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaulquappe View Post
    Hi, looks great. Which MCU is installed?
    When can i order one?

Regards from Switzerland
    Luca
    It's the attiny25v-10su.
    As soon as I get the parts I need. The attiny25v-10su has a lead time of 18weeks for example. So have to find another source.
    Last edited by Der Wichtel; 08-13-2010 at 10:12 AM.

I will use the same modes as in the as in the 2.8A driver again with version A and B. But I'm open to any other ideas.
    In dive lights all these modes are not really useful (at least not for me, but I don't think I'm alone with this), just a high and a lower (not LOW) mode would be fine, like 100% & 40%.
    As for switching, haven't thought about that much. I was planning to use a read swich with a mosfet as a switch, I guess you already implemented that but left the read switch out. Anyway, for dive lights it's wise to physically disconnect the batteries somehow to prevent accidental turn-on in your car so a low rest current wouldn't be a big issue.

I think packhorse has been experimenting with some mosfets for his SST-90 lights. Maybe he has something for you that works. It should be on the forum somewhere if it worked.

Flashaholic*

The problem I have is the mosfet can't be controlled by the MCU to turn the light off completely. Because the mosfet will add addtioninal resistance and cause interference so that the MCU stops working. I tried using several mosfets with Rdson of 1-2mohm without luck.

If you use an external mosfet controlled "by hand" then there shouldn't be any problems.

If you just want 2 modes you can just use a 10k pot or a switch to switch between 2 resistors. A simple voltage divider.
    Just like this
    Last edited by Der Wichtel; 08-13-2010 at 10:35 AM.

Flashaholic

I would love just a 3 mode low medium high, but version A would be fine.

Unenlightened

I would like to change the brightness as shown in the last video, with a variabel resistor.

Regards
    Luca

Flashaholic*

If you just want 2 modes you can just use a 10k pot or a switch to switch between 2 resistors. A simple voltage divider.
    Just like this
    Interested in this version, I note that in the OP and datasheet it says that the output is still fixed at 5A or 9A. Is this pot controlled version for sale yet?
    Finning does help dissipate heat. This is why the fins are removed before cooking fish. Otherwise it will throw off the heat and not reach the proper cooking temperature. --Duglite

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast