Great case option for the Tri-V and 007!

RIDE

Enlightened
Ok gang...I mentioned that I had a few cases incoming, and I have found what I think is a PERFECT match for the Tri-V! I suspect that the 007 would be a great fit for the case as well.

The case is made by Timbuk2, and I tried it in the two sizes they offered...medium and small. Depending on how you like things to fit...you may be happy with either. More on that later...

The case is made from Ballistic Nylon...so it appears to be quite durable. The good news is that the interior is lined with a softer fabric...so it should not scratch your light. So far mine has been just fine. It also has a finger loop on the closing flap...makes it very easy to grab. And the case has a bit of a stretch fabric between the front and back...that stretches a bit when you put the light in.

I love the versatility of the case. You can carry it in your pocket...or use one of the two belt loop options allowing you to mount it either vertically or horizontally. And since it was made to fit a messanger bag shoulder strap...it should fit a pretty wide belt too. I have used it on my belt, as well as my TAD Dispatch bag...and it works great!

As for the size....I tried the Medium for a while and really liked it (also a perfect fit for an iPhone). It fit my Tri-V a bit looser...but with no worry of the light falling out. It did make it easier to get the light in and out. I ended up going with the Small however...I just prefer the more snug fit. But either way...you can't go wrong. 007 owners may want the small for sure...since the head of the light is more narrow than the Tri-V.

The cases are very versatile as well. They will work well with cell phones or other items like a compact digital camera.

All in all I am VERY happy with my find...and would highly recommend the case to any SPY owner!

RIDE

P.S. I bough 3 cases and would be willing to pass the 2 extra ones to anyone who wants one. I paid $20 plus shipping...but would let them go for $20 shipped in the U.S. If not...I will keep them for other things! :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vertical orientation on a belt:

Timbuk2HolsterTri-V2.jpg

Timbuk2HolsterTri-V1.jpg

Horizontal:

Timbuk2HolsterTri-V3.jpg

Timbuk2HolsterTri-V4.jpg

This is the case I went with...size small.

Timbuk2HolsterTri-VOptions4.jpg

Timbuk2HolsterTri-VOptions5.jpg

Timbuk2HolsterTri-VOptions8.jpg

Timbuk2HolsterTri-VOptions6.jpg

Timbuk2HolsterTri-VOptions7.jpg

And the two I would let go of....

Small on the LEFT.....and Medium on the RIGHT

Timbuk2HolsterTri-VOptions1.jpg

Medium:

Timbuk2HolsterTri-VOptions2.jpg

Small:

Timbuk2HolsterTri-VOptions3.jpg

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the research! Case looks really good. :thumbsup:

I can definitely afford the case, now only to come up with the other odd $2,000. Where did I put that change jar again? :thinking: ;)

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Steve
Looks great. I would be a tiny bit concerned about the horizontal placement, as it might slip out.
I will check them out at my local place tonight.
Thanks
J

Incidentalist

Enlightened
Looks good, I might have to check one out at my local shop. I also have the case that Data recommends but I've never tried it for my light as I use it for my camera.

Now, quit playing with your lights and cut that grass! :p

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picture Please :poke:

Mike

VERY sorry I haven't been on this thread in some time Mike and, sorry for the low quality pictures--taken in haste and well....:( Nothing real special about the Ripoff carry cases except that they protect even the most expensive lights and, they permit these same lights to be EDCed safely as I do my Tri-V....
w0stud.jpg

2dt7xnb.jpg

357q6te.jpg

Karl

scout24

Flashaholic
Karl, sir- do you happen to have the Ripoffs part number? I have one of their cases for my phone and love it, but IIRC they have a myriad of sizes.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a good question and fortunately, I just happen to have one still in the bag from which to reference.

The one I use is a CO-35 with a clip-on. I don't use the slip-on which also attaches to a belt because if you change pants or the belt you have to rethread the holster on the new belt. I have never had a loss with the clip-on and I have EDCed 005s, 007s currently my Tri-V as well as many other expensive lights in complete safety from scratches, bumps and (gasp!) loss! The only negative I find with these holsters is that they do not have their model number embossed anywhere so unless you write the model down or keep the paper with which they are shipped and label which light it fits, you begin a bit of a goose chase in finding the right one in the case of eventual replacement. Enough, the good fit for the 007s or the Tri-V IMOP is the CO-35.

Karl

scout24

Flashaholic
Thank you! I've liked them for a while, nicely padded without much bulk, and Mrs. Scout has replaced velcro more than once, speaking to the longevity of the case...:thumbsup: Ordering one Monday.

jslappa

Enlightened
So far, I haven't found the right case. I did buy the Sherpa case Dave suggested, but I am not sold on it just yet. For transporting or storage, I bought a Pelican 1020 for it and it will comfortably hold about 20 batteries as well.
SSC_0915.jpg

SSC_0914.jpg

For now, I keep the Tri-V inside a microfiber pouch that I received free with a Benchmade Mini Griptillian. I can attach a small carabiner to the string, and then to my belt so that it just hangs inside my pocket without actually touching the bottem. That also keeps the light parallel to my leg.
SSC_0913.jpg

Then I remembered that I bought a backpack on Buy. com that had a small cell phone pouch attached to one of the shoulder straps. It's for a Dell XPS 17" notebook. Originally $175, I grabbed it for $29.99.
SSC_0909.jpg

SSC_0908.jpg

Try-V fits perfectly in there, and it is quite sturdy. It rides horizontally on the belt. What's cool is that the belt loop on the back is velcro, so you can remove it from your belt without removing your belt. Still, it's just a little too big for me. I'll have to keep searching, I guess.
SSC_0912.jpg

SSC_0911.jpg

SSC_0910.jpg

Also, I bought my Sherpa pouch at Best Buy. They had a ton of them, and about 4 different colors. Just in case any of you would like to try one out before you buy.

derangboy

Enlightened
Here's a couple of options I like so far. First is a Canon camera case with magnetic flap. Fits the Tri-V on the snug side due to the reflector off the side. A pair of spare batteries also fit in the bottom. It's a nice non-tactical look to go with your tuxedo.
P1020341.JPG

L1100101.JPG

This Maxpedition case is a nice soft option. The shape is a bit odd to me, but there's an elastic loop that holds your light in place plus plenty of space for four spare batteries or other secret agent stuff!
Edit: link to product. For horizontal carry, you can put it on a belt provided it's thin enough. For vertical carry, you need what Maxpedition calls TacTies or simply build a short piece of webbing with a lock yourself.
http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Tactical-Can-Case-7p1338.htm

L1100102.JPG

L1100103.JPG

L1100104.JPG

P1020586.JPG

Last edited:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, some other good options here it seems! As I said, I carry mine in Ripoffs holsters since they offer great protection, instant access and are readilly transferrable from one pair of pants to another in an instant---in addition to being made right here in Pennsylvania, USA---a MAJOR point in my opinion. That Maxpedition outfit looks interesting though...:thinking:...how does it attach to a belt and, what model number is it?

Karl

derangboy

Enlightened
I added a link and brief description about the Maxpedition case. The Ripoffs case is very solid but the store I was in did not have the size I was looking for.

Latest posts