Looking for Something to Replace my Petzl Tikkas

Centropolis

Enlightened
Somehow throughout the years, I collected 3 Tikkas with the 4 LEDs for camping and night walking around campground. They still do their job very well....battery lasts and tough.

I am thinking of replacing them with one higher power more current LEDs. I have tried to look for a site that sells H501w to Canada but can't find one with reasonable shipping cost.

I also want to get away from multiple cells (like my Tikkas with 3 AAAs).

What are my options besides the H501w and the Fenix HL20? The HL20 is kind of the size and form factor I am looking for....no big headband.....simple looking.

I haven't been keeping track of headlamps development lately. Just wondering if there are other options? I also prefer warm tint if possible.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Here are 3 good ones.

1. PT EOS. 3xAAA but still rocks.
2. HL20. 1XAA has some good throw.
3. H501. 1xAA flood light. Great in camp.

IMG_0156.jpg

Centropolis

Enlightened
Here are 3 good ones.

1. PT EOS. 3xAAA but still rocks.
2. HL20. 1XAA has some good throw.
3. H501. 1xAA flood light. Great in camp.

IMG_0156.jpg

This may be a weird one but here it goes:

The design of the Zebralights in general with the LED on the one side of the headlamp.....would it feel weird with the beam coming from off center of your forehead? I know it's minimal but I have a feeling that it'll be kind of weird for me when it's not 'balanced'.

I guess I can rotate the unit so that the LED is center but the unit will be slight on one side.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

The design of the Zebralights in general with the LED on the one side of the headlamp.....would it feel weird with the beam coming from off center of your forehead? I know it's minimal but I have a feeling that it'll be kind of weird for me when it's not 'balanced'.

I guess I can rotate the unit so that the LED is center but the unit will be slight on one side.
The light is mostly flood so appears centered. Also I am not sure it would matter even if the beam was tighter.

paulr

Flashaholic

It's not an issue with the H50. I never notice it. It might matter more with a narrower beam, but even still, you're probably either left-eyed or right-eyed, and that asymmetry probably doesn't bother you either.

tedh

Newly Enlightened
I agree with the other posters, that off-center issue isn't noticeable in normal use. The light is so floody you won't see it.

A few more options for single cell headlamps:

1. Rayovac Sportsman Extreme headlamp - regulated, light, diffuser. Only one light level in white.

2. Coast LED Lenser Micro.

3. ITP H01 (not out yet), uses a single AAA.

Good luck!

Ted

tedh

Newly Enlightened
Oh, one more thing, the HL20 headband is lousy compared to the Petzl webbing bands. Swap an old Petzl band for the Fenix band if you decide to go with the HL20.

Ted

Vapor

Newly Enlightened
I'll chime in to mention the Energizer Trailfinder Micro that runs on 1xAA. It has a CREE led and is dimmable anywhere between 100% to 6% brightness. Also has 2 red leds.

Last edited: