CS2

P1 MC-E 5ma
P2 XP-G 30ma
P3 XP-G 200ma
P4 XP-G 1200ma
p5 MC-E 1500ma
p6 XR-E 1400ma

I wanted somthing a little more powerfull than standard without going to mad
I also want to set up CS3 for a balls out setting but have not desided on what to put ware yet
Any idears for a good full power config?

And what about CS4?

Mike

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
How have you got it configured and why?

Mine is so far

slot one standard

Slot two

position 1 MCE-5ma
position 2 XP-G 30ma
position 3 XP-G 200ma
Position 4 XP-G 1200ma
position 5 MCE 1500ma
position 6 XR-E 1400ma

I wanted somthing a little more powerfull than standard without going to mad
I also want to set up slot three for a balls out setting but have not desided on what to put ware yet
Any idears for a good full power config?

And what about slot four?

Mike

Interesting set-up, Mike. Do you find that the extra power in positions 4/5/6 is much more noticeable compared to the standard ones?

I'm on the fence about programming mine still. Mainly because I like the idea of having 100% duty cycles.

I've thought about increasing position 4 for the XPG to 1000ma so that there is increased output (compared to 800ma) whilst still maintaining the 100% duty cycle.

RIDE

Enlightened
Whew....I'm not the only one who is enjoying it stock!

But I do like your set up...and kudos for playing around with it a bit.

I think I may do some tweaking...and would like to have one spot set up in show-off mode :twothumbs ....but for now I am loving mine as is.

RIDE

mikes1

Enlightened
I am really suprised just how much light the XP-G in such a small reflector puts out, the changes I made are not huge but you can tell the diffrence certainly on the two higher levels outside in the dark
Please try reprograming your Tri-V it is easy once you get the basic idear of how you do it. Also a power up 3 sets you right back to standard if you **** it up Having four complete configureations is a real plus it takes just seconds to swap between say standard battery frendly or super high power for the darkest of night walks to the pub :thumbsup: I don't think any other light comes close in terms of user customization

Mike

Interesting set-up, Mike. Do you find that the extra power in positions 4/5/6 is much more noticeable compared to the standard ones?

I'm on the fence about programming mine still. Mainly because I like the idea of having 100% duty cycles.

I've thought about increasing position 4 for the XPG to 1000ma so that there is increased output (compared to 800ma) whilst still maintaining the 100% duty cycle.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have four configurations in the Tr-V, one of being the "factory" pre-set (but I didn't write them down--an old 007 trick doncha know!). Switching from one to the other a snap!:twothumbs

Edit: "Why"? Just 'cuse I can! No, it permits greater flexibility if I need it. One of my settings in configuration four blasts all emitters at full power to permit me to effectively solicit the "Wows!" I need and presumably to dazzle (blind) would-be attackers. Since I appear unlikely to be carrying large sums of money, I'm not a likely target however....should it be known I am EDCing a Tri-V, well, that's another matter! The "Warp 9" setting does financially stabilize the Surefire battery corporation and permits me to practice opening the battery compartment as well!

Karl

Last edited:

mendhammarsh

Enlightened
This is my current configuration (as of 5-24-2010).

PU1 & PU2 setup for primary battery use.
PU1 PU2 PU3 & PU4 setup for rechargeable power use.

Programming is what the TRI-V is all about.

PU1
Pos 1 MCE 5ma
Pos 2 XPG 7ma
Pos 3 XPG 80ma
Pos 4 XPG 1000ma
Pos 5 MCE 1000ma
Pos 6 XRE 1000ma

PU2
Pos 1 XPG 10ma
Pos 2 XPG 80ma
Pos 3 XPG 1000ma
Pos 4 MCE 10ma
Pos 5 MCE 1000ma
Pos 6 XRE 1000ma

PU3
Pos 1 MCE/XPG 3ma
Pos 2 XPG 7ma
Pos 3 XPG 80ma
Pos 4 XPG 1000ma
Pos 5 MCE 1000ma
Pos 6 XRE 1500ma

PU4
Pos 1 MCE 3ma
Pos 2 MCE 1900ma
Pos 3 XPG 5ma
Pos 4 XPG 1400ma
Pos 5 XRE 1000ma
Pos 6 XRE 1900ma

Last edited:

mikes1

Enlightened
Very nice 

Food for thought 

Still tinkering with mine

Update to follow

Mike

PU1
Pos 1 MCE 5ma
Pos 2 XPG 7ma
Pos 3 XPG 80ma
Pos 4 XPG 1000ma
Pos 5 MCE 1000ma
Pos 6 XRE 1000ma

PU2
Pos 1 XPG 10ma
Pos 2 XPG 80ma
Pos 3 XPG 1000ma
Pos 4 MCE 10ma
Pos 5 MCE 1000ma
Pos 6 XRE 1000ma

PU3
Pos 1 MCE/XPG 3ma
Pos 2 XPG 7ma
Pos 3 XPG 80ma
Pos 4 XPG 1000ma
Pos 5 MCE 1000ma
Pos 6 XRE 1500ma

PU4
Pos 1 MCE 3ma
Pos 2 MCE 1900ma
Pos 3 XPG 5ma
Pos 4 XPG 1400ma
Pos 5 XRE 1000ma
Pos 6 XRE 1900ma

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast

. . .

Those are great configurations mendhammarsh. I have my configuration-slot-4 (CS4) set up with:
P1 MC-E 5 mA
P2 MC-E 10 mA
P3 MC-E 50 mA
P4 MC-E 500 mA
P5 MC-E 1000 mA
P6 MC-E 1500 mA

FYI, PU1 is the proper shorthand for power-up-1. Though I did not give a name for it in the document, configuration-slot-1 could be abbreviated CS1. Also note that P1 is the abbreviation for knob-position-1.

Cheers
Dav e

scout24

Flashaholic
Karl- your comments about supporting Surefire battery corp. and allowing for practice opening the battery compartment almost had me snorting soda out of my nose... :crackup:

fasteddie

Enlightened
Has anyone played around with configs with multiple xre settings? I tried it, but I couldnt see any difference in throw, only a difference in brightness of the beam. I admint, I don't have ideal conditions outside my house at night to test whether there's noticably increased throw over 1000 ma.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have but I'll be honest in saying that I haven't noticed any difference in throw rather differences in the intensity of the beam striking the target. I have noticed differences with other aspherical-based lights but most were Mag-based and had rather large lenses (in comparison to the Tri-V) and considerably higher intensity. I have fields fairly close to my home for testing but haven't as of yet.

Karl

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Besides the change to the light setting, I am curious as to who is running Primaries vs Rechargeables in their Tri-V's ???

I'm asking, as I only have primaries ready for my "hopefully" delivery on the next run.

gtwace

Enlightened
Primaries will run fine as well. If you are getting rechargables, I recommend getting AW's IMR cells with 8c discharge rate, the red ones, for maximum performance since Tri-V has a 3A setting, most other rechargable will limit to 1.5 or 2A output continuous. Rechargables will run brighter due to the higher voltage and save you some $ in the long run but gives lower run time.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. I ran the Surefire primaries then the AW 750mA and now have the AW IMR 550mA in mine and all work just fine.:D Despite my intentions, since I put the IMRs into place, I'm running some rather "hot" numbers at the top end of each the four configurations. I just couldn't resist!

Karl

derangboy

Enlightened
I'm currently carrying my Tri-V in a Canon Powershot case. It's a snug fit width wise, but there's room on the bottom for a pair of spare batteries.
CS1 - factory
CS2 - 1 MCE 3mA
2 MCE 15mA
3 MCE 1000mA
4 XPG 100mA
5 XPG 800mA
6 XPG/XRE 1600mA

CS3 - is a few combinations of pairs on at low and high levels
CS4 - is near the limits!

CS2 is really what I find most useful. I really like the warm flood of light from the MCE and the last three positions are great for spotting distant coyotes and horses.

edit: running AW's RCRs with primaries as backup.

easilyled

Flashaholic
I'm currently carrying my Tri-V in a Canon Powershot case. It's a snug fit width wise, but there's room on the bottom for a pair of spare batteries.
CS1 - factory
CS2 - 1 MCE 3mA
2 MCE 15mA
3 MCE 1000mA
4 XPG 100mA
5 XPG 800mA
6 XPG/XRE 1600mA

CS3 - is a few combinations of pairs on at low and high levels
CS4 - is near the limits!

CS2 is really what I find most useful. I really like the warm flood of light from the MCE and the last three positions are great for spotting distant coyotes and horses.

edit: running AW's RCRs with primaries as backup.

I'm intrigued at what the beam is like with XPG/XRE 1600ma?

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm intrigued at what the beam is like with XPG/XRE 1600ma?

It is a great combination of spill and throw. It is a compromise to having either of the two single emitters running at 1500 by itself. The XP-G is getting most of the power so the overall look is similar to just the reflector on with a little added throw.

Cheers
Dave