BlackShadow
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your ideal watch?

Hybrid View

Wink2 What's your ideal watch?

I was recently in a discussion with another member regarding personal preferences for guns, knives, and flashlights, and I happen to mention one of my other favorites is watches. The suggestion was made to maybe start a thread on favorite watches, just to see what other CPF members might prefer, as we were both in agreement that most folks are just as particular about their watches as they are about their guns, lights, and knives. So, here it is. Show us your best, whether it's your everyday beater watch or your finest dress timepiece, or even both!

I don't have a picture of mine, but I'll describe it for you and post a link. My favorite watch is my Marathon Navigator with date. It's an analog watch and it's not as elegant as maybe a Sieko Diver, or a Tissot or even a Rolex, but it is nearly indestructable, and keeps better time than my Sieko dress watch my wife and kids gave me for Christmas (that still makes an appearence on occasion to keep the natives from getting restless; can't be too careless, you know). I've worn my Navigator for around 6 years now, the crystal is cracked, and the outer bezel is missing a number or two, but I changed the battery in it about three months ago, and it's still within 15 seconds of when I set it. This is the third battery in 6 years, and I don't ever remember it being more that 45 to 60 seconds off. Around two hundred dollars, and for my money, for an all purpose watch, it can't be beat. See it at this link:

http://www.marathonwatch.com/product...e-iii-class-1/

Marathon also makes high end stainless steel watches for divers and SAR types, that also cost much more. I'm sure they are fine timepieces, based on my experience with the Navigator, but this is my favorite, hands down. I have other watches, some nice and some not so nice but functional, but this one is my all around favorite. So, what's yours?
    You only need three tools in life: WD-40, duct tape, and a flashlight. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape & if you can't fix it with a hammer, you WILL need the flashlight!

Default Re: What's your ideal watch?

Been wearing it every day since I got it last Christmas. Gorgeous watch and an excellent conversation piece.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fossil-ME102.../dp/B0012G9FW0

Nice choice! Very elegant! Whose next?
    You only need three tools in life: WD-40, duct tape, and a flashlight. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape & if you can't fix it with a hammer, you WILL need the flashlight!

after buying 3 watches of reasonable quality and value
    ($300 in mid to late 80's) only to have them all fail for one reason or another

I decided to get a Seamaster by Omega
    it was $1475 in 1992

the next 13 years this watch went through lots of wear and tear
    diving moto cross rock climbing 24/7 never took it off for long
    even at work it copped a fair bit (I'm a printer and I wore it everyday)

I sold it because I wanted the new Seamaster
    I got $570 for it on e-b#y

the new model has everything I believe a watch should
    a full auto with their new Co-Axial movment

10 year service interval
    water proof to 1000ft
    full chronometer certified
    accurate and hopefully it will last 20 years or more
    it retailed for $3800,I hunted it down for $3100
    I eventually got one for $2500

thats like $125 a year for an awesome watch that I can depend on

if you can afford a watch like this it is worth it

there are many other really nice watches out there
    and I get tempted to buy some of them
    but I know I only need this one watch

recently,someone here bought a really nice titanium watch with 3 colour trits
    and it looked very nice,I was tempted

Having spent a lot of time collecting watches, I finally decided that I just needed a few.

Finally settled on 5 of them. 3 various G-Shocks...one Orient Mako Diver and an old TAG...so work, outdoors and dress up occasions are all covered.

99% of the time it is one of the G-Shocks. They are solar, two of them are radio controlled and the MT-G 910 can double for a dress up watch (as much as a digital can) if I want.

Flashaholic* Alaric Darconville's Avatar

I've got the Marathon Navigator without date, sterile face. It's a great watch but I've cracked the crystal near the bezel so it sometimes fogs up in certain weather conditions

I'd love the GSAR Chronograph -- I love self-winders and tritium makes this one all the more awesome.
    Last edited by Alaric Darconville; 05-21-2010 at 09:52 AM.

I also wear a marathon navigator with date. Great watch and not too expensive. I really love the tritium.

I work in an office, and have been wearing this for the last 3 yrs or so -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Citizen-Eco-...4463153&sr=1-1

I like the look, the no battery solution, and the perpetual calendar in the analog format. I am the kind of person that forgets occasionally to check my watch's date at the end of the month. Because of that, I could never depend on the correct date when I finally thought of it. This feature makes the watch very useful to me for date checks.
    The Phaser: A nice EDC with great throw; heat and runtime can be issues.

Best Diffusion Film!

Quote Originally Posted by gollum View Post
    the new model has everything I believe a watch should a full auto with their new Co-Axial movment

Oh man! That's exactly would be my choice as well. If I can have only one watch and one watch only, then its going to be the Omega SMP co-axial. Its fantastic in *almost* everyway, and *almost* fit everything i am looking for in a watch:

- fantastic lume
    - great looks and style
    - comfortable
    - co-axial movement (though not an in-house movement, its still *kinda* exclusive for Omega only. Also the long service period and better time keeping throughout the power reserve)
    - tough and well built
    - long history behind the company that makes it and no need to worry about service 20 yr down the road. (parts and labor)

The only real complain I have for it is the bezel. Though it looks nice, its difficult to operate. I imagine it would be next to impossible to operate the bezel when wet or with diving gloves on. An adjustable diver extension (like the one in the new Omega 1200m PloProf) would have been nice too but that's just nick picking.

I love the look of the new SMP co-axial with black dial (black Bond), but I prefer the blue dial version because of the brighter SL C3 lume. The new black Bond uses a new material that glows cool blue, but its noticeably dimmer than the older SL C3 lume. Nonetheless, the new cool blue lume will last through the night (personally tested ).

I sold it because I was bitten by the Panerai bug. but I would sooooo get another SMP co-axial (blue dial) when the oportunity present itself (and when my bank account agrees). :-)

BTW, here my PAM 111 bug I can't call it my *favourite*, but they do get you hooked quickly with their good looks, attention to detail and great built quality.

At a lower price segment, my favourite has to be Pathfinders PAW2000T

The PAW2000T has such a long list of features that I don't want to type it out, haha

(check out the Casio USA web site for reference: http://www.casio.com/products/Timepi...ct/PAW2000T-7/)

- almost everything you would ever want in a single time piece on your wrist.
    - self contained unit (atomic with solar, so in theory, you don't ever have to adjust the time or change the battery, even when you use power-hungry feature heavily. fully auto EL means you don't even have to touch it to view it at night)
    - conventional (22mm) lugs that allows you to wear the watch with rubber, leather or NATO/zulu strap. still have the tough Titanium bracelet if you want to "dress it up" or want something that's "bullet prove" to wear
    - the big metal buttons are welcome improvement over the previous Pathfinders
    - WR200M (like the PAW1500) would have been nice but its not a deal breaker for me because I won't be doing any serious diving with. and WR100M is more than enough for dip in the pool and swimming
    - it won't win any "best looking watch" award, but its not worst looking ABC watch either

In facet, based solely on utilitarianism, I wonder if I would ever need another watch besides the PAW2000T ... haha

Honorable mention:

- Rolex GMT IIc 116710LN
    - Seiko Marinemaster 300m auto (SBDX001)
    - Marathon SAR (original dial with OEM bracelet)
    - Casio G-Shock DW5600C
    - Casio G-Shock GW6900
    - Casio G-Shock GW9200 Riseman

But seriously, asking a WIS to pick a favourite is like asking a loving mother to pick a favourite kid of hers ... LOL

Oh wait, this is about "ideal" watch ... So, my "ideal" watch would be

- Omega SMP co-axial (blue dial) with an easier to grip bezel (but needs to keep the good look) and the adjustable diver extension hidden in the clasp (like the one in Omega 1200m PloProf)

and / or

- Casio Pathfinder PAW2000T with a snooze alarm (just make 1 of the 5 alarms a snooze alarm), temperature compensated sensors, a AR coated (inside) flat sapphire crystal and full metal case (PRX2000 comes close but it lacks conventional lugs and it cost a lot more and can't measure in ft. and F, only in m and C)
    Last edited by stockae92; 05-21-2010 at 03:36 PM.
    Let there be light.

Flashaholic

I hardly wear a watch these days, but these spent the most time on my wrist. Left is a TAG 1500 series that really proved it's value at easily less than $80 per year when I was wearing it hard. Simple, slim, reasonably light and the secondary clasp was nice for letting my wrist breathe on really hot days. The Link Series chronograph was my backup timer for a few years doing TSD rally. I find it a bit heavy for regular wearing. One day I'd like to have a GMT Master, but it's an expense that is low on my priorities.

Flashaholic

It's a Sinn 656 on a Maratac Zulu strap. I only wish it had tritium lume, that would have made it perfect.

Edit: Added a pic of the lume (next to some tritium).
    Last edited by DM51; 05-22-2010 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Stack photos vertically

Mine is currently my Citizen Eco Drive with lume face and hands.

Also love my Ti Skagen that my fiance bought me. No pic of that one right now.

Flashaholic* was.lost.but.now.found's Avatar

This has been on my wrist for 4 years.

Traser H3. Carbon-reinforced casing. Tritium. Swiss mechanism.

Best watch I've ever owned.

You can get one here: http://amzn.to/traserwatches

I've got a Traser P6506 on the way... it should of been here by now but the seller is slack

^^Click for my beamshots!!^^ My Flashlights

Been wearing a custom MKII Blackwater for several years.

Just switched to the MKII Paradive.

Nothing better to me than a MKII custom watch!

The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhone in the other

Quote Originally Posted by solveitstore View Post
    Traser H3. Carbon-reinforced casing. Tritium. Swiss mechanism.

Best watch I've ever owned.

You can get one here: http://amzn.to/traserwatches
    I have the Luminox 3100 which is the same watch, stainless case, very durable, but the carbon reinforced casing is really just a plastic composite.
    And Teeming With Souls Shall It Ever Be.
    NOTICE: I'm a guy. Im to poor to buy cheap.
    Aeon- Smaller, Brighter, Better...

I used to be kind of a watch buff... I hung around timezone.com and admired all kinds of high end watches, though I never actually bought any. I wore various Casio digital watches and a Luminox analog quartz watch with tritium markers. I haven't worn a wristwatch in a couple years though, mostly because the straps kept breaking. I just use my cell phone display to see what time it is.

My new Oris

^^Click for my beamshots!!^^ My Flashlights

Flashaholic* was.lost.but.now.found's Avatar

Very nice watch DR!!

nice pics of a nice Oris

I have two ideal watches-
    G-shock ultimate pathfinder (solar, always on time, lots of goodies, TOUGH)
    Seiko SBDX001-this is an automatic watch, and is good to have for A)fancy occasions and B)the apocalypse. The G-shock, though rechargeable, needs its batteries replaced every few years. The seiko never will.

Then there's the one I'm wearing right now (not so ideal, but still good), a g-shock DW6900 IIRC, and I wouldn't mind one of those new 430mhz wireless watched from TI (just to experiment with).

Mine is a stainless Navy Seals Luminox with a stainless band. 10+ years later, the crystal is not scratched and it still works on the ORIGINAL battery! It doesn't get much better than that for me.
    No, I'm not new. My whole profile was lost in the great crash of 2011.

*Flashaholic*

My collection isn't as impressive as some of the others but here it is:

On the far left is a $3 watch I recently purchased from the local discount store. I added the stainless expansion band to replace the cheap plastic strap it came with. Next to that is the Seiko memory watch I received in 1980. This watch can store up to 7 16-character messages, and display them on its dot matrix display. Pretty impressive technology for 1980. The Casio dates from the late 1980s IIRC. Not as impressive as the Seiko, but I purchased it because of the combo digital/analog time display. On the far right is my late grandfather's 17-jewel Buren. Not sure when this watch was made, but offhand I'd say early-mid 1960s.

Not shown are the numerous el cheapo generic watches I own.

I've long been obsessed with checking any new watches I purchase for accuracy. In fact, both the Seiko and Casio have an internal adjustment which I spent a good amount of time playing with. I just put batteries in both for the first time in a few years after seeing this thread. I don't recall the exact accuracy of either watch now, but I remember synchronizing the Seiko to atomic time whenever we moved the clocks an hour ahead or behind. The next time this occurred ~6 months later, the time was usually only a couple of seconds off. The Casio wasn't much worse. Now that I have a GPS, I'll keep better tabs on the accuracy of both watches. As of today both watches have the exact same time as my GPS (you can see how the seconds are synchronized). The $3 watch on the far left so far has gained 7 seconds since the time change 20 days ago, which translates to a bit over 2 minutes a year. No internal adjustments unfortunately, but then again not bad time-keeping for a $3 timepiece. The Buren has only gained 67.5 seconds in the same 20 days. This is not much over 3 seconds per day, which I've read is impressive for a mechanical watch. I recall my grandfather fiddling with the escapement adjust. Apparently he got it right.

Quote Originally Posted by jtr1962 View Post
    I've long been obsessed with checking any new watches I purchase for accuracy.
    But a watch isn't just about accurately telling time, it's about presenting your relationship with time. Even the Wal-Mart $10 kid's superhero watch is accurate to within a few seconds a month. That being said, if accuracy is your only criteria, some of the current generation of NIST signal-set "atomic" watches can be had for under $30..

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    But a watch isn't just about accurately telling time, it's about presenting your relationship with time.
    Accuracy isn't my only criteria of course, but it's high on my list. A pretty watch which is inaccurate is useless for anything other than an ornamental function.

Even the Wal-Mart $10 kid's superhero watch is accurate to within a few seconds a month.
    Typical figures for low-end quartz watches are ±30 seconds a month. How accurate a watch needs to be depends upon individual preference. For many people ±30 seconds a month is "good enough", and they'll purchase the watch solely for other reasons. Those who might get excited by hyper-accurate timepieces are undoubtedly a minority even among watch/clock enthusiasts.

That being said, if accuracy is your only criteria, some of the current generation of NIST signal-set "atomic" watches can be had for under $30..
    I'm amazed these kinds of watches are this inexpensive. Last time I checked, they were over $100. Time for another watch? I'm actually leaning towards this one because it avoids both the need to set the time AND change batteries.

On another note, even though these atomic clock watches will always be accurate, the engineering isn't as impressive as a watch with a built-in hyper-accurate time base. If money were no object for me (which it is, unfortunately), I would be first in line to purchase a watch incorporating a CSAC (chip-scale atomic clock) just for pure appreciation of the engineering inside it. Practically speaking, there's no need for ±0.01 second per century accuracy in a watch. In fact, I'm personally happy with the kind of timekeeping my Seiko does, which is within a few seconds a year. Past that, it's more about my relation to time and the engineering involved measuring it. Watches/clocks are the most accurate mass-produced instruments made. Even $1 quartz watch is better than 0.001% accurate. That's laboratory grade for instruments measuring any other parameter except time.

Enlightened

You have a very nice X, Chapeau.

Cheers

RBR

Used to be a breitling Chronospace, then a Breitling New Pluton, Then a Breitling B-1 finally got tired of breitlings being one day going down in a subway bracelet opened watch fell off wrist to the faulkt of a pin flying off, causing the watch to turn into a trizillion parts sent it to Breitling they advised me it will cost $800.00 to put it together instead of covering it through there warranty.
    At that point I decided to get rid of all my other Breiltling watches b efore they also fell apart like that one. Now Only use a Citizen ProMaster, Tissot Touch Titanium, Seiko Perpetual calender Premium series, A ESQ Venture, a fe other less expensive seikos and also casios with compass and Atomic time set.
    However dont really wear much of watches anymore being that were living in such an advanced digital age where everything we have already tells us the time anyways from a Computer, to a phone, calculator, and god so many other things too.