What's your ideal watch?

mon90ey

Newly Enlightened
I was recently in a discussion with another member regarding personal preferences for guns, knives, and flashlights, and I happen to mention one of my other favorites is watches. The suggestion was made to maybe start a thread on favorite watches, just to see what other CPF members might prefer, as we were both in agreement that most folks are just as particular about their watches as they are about their guns, lights, and knives. So, here it is. Show us your best, whether it's your everyday beater watch or your finest dress timepiece, or even both!

I don't have a picture of mine, but I'll describe it for you and post a link. My favorite watch is my Marathon Navigator with date. It's an analog watch and it's not as elegant as maybe a Sieko Diver, or a Tissot or even a Rolex, but it is nearly indestructable, and keeps better time than my Sieko dress watch my wife and kids gave me for Christmas (that still makes an appearence on occasion to keep the natives from getting restless; can't be too careless, you know). I've worn my Navigator for around 6 years now, the crystal is cracked, and the outer bezel is missing a number or two, but I changed the battery in it about three months ago, and it's still within 15 seconds of when I set it. This is the third battery in 6 years, and I don't ever remember it being more that 45 to 60 seconds off. Around two hundred dollars, and for my money, for an all purpose watch, it can't be beat. See it at this link:

http://www.marathonwatch.com/produc...-navigator-quartz-with-date-type-iii-class-1/

Marathon also makes high end stainless steel watches for divers and SAR types, that also cost much more. I'm sure they are fine timepieces, based on my experience with the Navigator, but this is my favorite, hands down. I have other watches, some nice and some not so nice but functional, but this one is my all around favorite. So, what's yours? :twothumbs

gollum

Enlightened
after buying 3 watches of reasonable quality and value
($300 in mid to late 80's) only to have them all fail for one reason or another

I decided to get a Seamaster by Omega
it was $1475 in 1992

the next 13 years this watch went through lots of wear and tear
diving moto cross rock climbing 24/7 never took it off for long
even at work it copped a fair bit (I'm a printer and I wore it everyday)

I sold it because I wanted the new Seamaster
I got $570 for it on e-b#y

the new model has everything I believe a watch should
a full auto with their new Co-Axial movment

10 year service interval
water proof to 1000ft
full chronometer certified
accurate and hopefully it will last 20 years or more
it retailed for $3800,I hunted it down for $3100
I eventually got one for $2500

thats like $125 a year for an awesome watch that I can depend on

RIMG0140JPG.jpg

if you can afford a watch like this it is worth it

there are many other really nice watches out there
and I get tempted to buy some of them
but I know I only need this one watch

recently,someone here bought a really nice titanium watch with 3 colour trits
and it looked very nice,I was tempted :naughty:

watchcollector1968

Newly Enlightened
Having spent a lot of time collecting watches, I finally decided that I just needed a few.

Finally settled on 5 of them. 3 various G-Shocks...one Orient Mako Diver and an old TAG...so work, outdoors and dress up occasions are all covered.

99% of the time it is one of the G-Shocks. They are solar, two of them are radio controlled and the MT-G 910 can double for a dress up watch (as much as a digital can) if I want.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got the Marathon Navigator without date, sterile face. It's a great watch but I've cracked the crystal near the bezel so it sometimes fogs up in certain weather conditions :(

I'd love the GSAR Chronograph -- I love self-winders and tritium makes this one all the more awesome.

Last edited:

mxrider32

Newly Enlightened
I also wear a marathon navigator with date. Great watch and not too expensive. I really love the tritium.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I work in an office, and have been wearing this for the last 3 yrs or so -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00074HDAO/

I like the look, the no battery solution, and the perpetual calendar in the analog format. I am the kind of person that forgets occasionally to check my watch's date at the end of the month. Because of that, I could never depend on the correct date when I finally thought of it. This feature makes the watch very useful to me for date checks.

mon90ey

Newly Enlightened
These are all excellent choices! Keep 'em coming! :clap:

And don't be shy about mentioning your lights, knives and guns like M.S. did. We might even see a pattern begin to emerge!

Last edited:

e1sbaer

Newly Enlightened
I have a small collection of watches.
Over time I realized that I like my g-shocks best. These are the ones that get the most wristtime.

gwm5600bc-positive.jpg

Per-Sev

Enlightened
At one time I had 3 Breitlings a Chronomat, a B2 and a Super Ocean. I had a Rolex Submariner, a IWC I can't remember the model a Tissot T-Touch and I bought my mom a Rolex Date Just. When I got hurt I had to sell them all. My mom still has her Rolex of course and wears it everyday. If I was going to buy another watch I would have to say Rolex it ran the best out of the bunch not including the T-Touch and the B2 they are a Quartz movement. I had the Rolex figured out that when I wore it would gain a few seconds and when I took if off for the day I would position it a certain way and it would lose a few seconds so I never had to set the watch unless there was a time change to day light savings time. I do like the Omega also I never owned one but with the new in house movement its right there with the Rolex.

stockae92

Enlightened
the new model has everything I believe a watch should a full auto with their new Co-Axial movment

RIMG0140JPG.jpg

Oh man! That's exactly would be my choice as well. If I can have only one watch and one watch only, then its going to be the Omega SMP co-axial. Its fantastic in *almost* everyway, and *almost* fit everything i am looking for in a watch:

- fantastic lume
- great looks and style
- comfortable
- co-axial movement (though not an in-house movement, its still *kinda* exclusive for Omega only. Also the long service period and better time keeping throughout the power reserve)
- tough and well built
- long history behind the company that makes it and no need to worry about service 20 yr down the road. (parts and labor)

The only real complain I have for it is the bezel. Though it looks nice, its difficult to operate. I imagine it would be next to impossible to operate the bezel when wet or with diving gloves on. An adjustable diver extension (like the one in the new Omega 1200m PloProf) would have been nice too but that's just nick picking. :p

I love the look of the new SMP co-axial with black dial (black Bond), but I prefer the blue dial version because of the brighter SL C3 lume. The new black Bond uses a new material that glows cool blue, but its noticeably dimmer than the older SL C3 lume. Nonetheless, the new cool blue lume will last through the night (personally tested :p ).

SMPs.jpg

I sold it because I was bitten by the Panerai bug. :p but I would sooooo get another SMP co-axial (blue dial) when the oportunity present itself (and when my bank account agrees). :)

BTW, here my PAM 111 bug :p I can't call it my *favourite*, but they do get you hooked quickly with their good looks, attention to detail and great built quality.

DSC00001.jpg

PAM111_Lume.jpg

At a lower price segment, my favourite has to be Pathfinders PAW2000T :p

%5C%5Curbanscience.net%5Cusers%5CLAX%5Cflee%5CDocuments%5CMy%20Pictures%5Cuntitled.jpg

The PAW2000T has such a long list of features that I don't want to type it out, haha

(check out the Casio USA web site for reference: http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/Pathfinder/PAW2000_Series/product/PAW2000T-7/)

- almost everything you would ever want in a single time piece on your wrist.
- self contained unit (atomic with solar, so in theory, you don't ever have to adjust the time or change the battery, even when you use power-hungry feature heavily. fully auto EL means you don't even have to touch it to view it at night)
- conventional (22mm) lugs that allows you to wear the watch with rubber, leather or NATO/zulu strap. still have the tough Titanium bracelet if you want to "dress it up" or want something that's "bullet prove" to wear
- the big metal buttons are welcome improvement over the previous Pathfinders
- WR200M (like the PAW1500) would have been nice but its not a deal breaker for me because I won't be doing any serious diving with. and WR100M is more than enough for dip in the pool and swimming
- it won't win any "best looking watch" award, but its not worst looking ABC watch either :p

In facet, based solely on utilitarianism, I wonder if I would ever need another watch besides the PAW2000T ... haha :p

Honorable mention:

- Rolex GMT IIc 116710LN
- Seiko Marinemaster 300m auto (SBDX001)
- Marathon SAR (original dial with OEM bracelet)
- Casio G-Shock DW5600C
- Casio G-Shock GW6900
- Casio G-Shock GW9200 Riseman

But seriously, asking a WIS to pick a favourite is like asking a loving mother to pick a favourite kid of hers ... LOL :p

Oh wait, this is about "ideal" watch ... So, my "ideal" watch would be

- Omega SMP co-axial (blue dial) with an easier to grip bezel (but needs to keep the good look) and the adjustable diver extension hidden in the clasp (like the one in Omega 1200m PloProf)

and / or

- Casio Pathfinder PAW2000T with a snooze alarm (just make 1 of the 5 alarms a snooze alarm), temperature compensated sensors, a AR coated (inside) flat sapphire crystal and full metal case (PRX2000 comes close but it lacks conventional lugs and it cost a lot more and can't measure in ft. and F, only in m and C)

Last edited:

derangboy

Enlightened
I hardly wear a watch these days, but these spent the most time on my wrist. Left is a TAG 1500 series that really proved it's value at easily less than $80 per year when I was wearing it hard. Simple, slim, reasonably light and the secondary clasp was nice for letting my wrist breathe on really hot days. The Link Series chronograph was my backup timer for a few years doing TSD rally. I find it a bit heavy for regular wearing. One day I'd like to have a GMT Master, but it's an expense that is low on my priorities.

L1090372.JPG

Isak Hawk

Enlightened

It's a Sinn 656 on a Maratac Zulu strap. I only wish it had tritium lume, that would have made it perfect.

Edit: Added a pic of the lume (next to some tritium).

Last edited by a moderator:

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is currently my Citizen Eco Drive with lume face and hands.

IMG_0575.jpg

Also love my Ti Skagen that my fiance bought me. No pic of that one right now.

gollum

Enlightened
Stockae92::twothumbs

I did consider the Titanium version but it was $8000 to get imported to Oz

the black bond is very nice too,thanks for showing

the Pathfinders PAW2000T looks pretty amazing with the atomic and solar etc

Launch Mini the panerais are awesome,thats a nice box of toys there

I only tried one on once and it was massive (like 48mm)

Ninemm: I was going to mention Skagen myself
I even checked their site recently

they are so light,the world thinnest and they look classically refined
I really like the full Ti version with their Ti mesh bands
I think they would be so comfortable and light
price is very good most are only around $180

I came close to buying one but my Omega said you won't wear it

so being my favourite is no contest to the Omega
but if I could have anything it would be
full auto ,Titanium with trits and a solar powered XP-G

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I've been drawn to SAR style watches for some time. The Marathon SAR is particularly appealing...

Then some years back I decided to change my relationship with time. Its hard to explain,
but I wanted a continuous span for my day and needed a continuous span of time to go with it.
Digital watches have 24 modes, but part of the prescription is tracking the movement.

The answer lay in 24 hour analog watches. But these are harder to find than one might think.
Starting with this web site, I got familiar with who makes them:

http://www.24hourwatch.info/

Didn't take long to notice several Russian watch companies with 'large' collections.
Switching from SAR to Aviator styles, I found these guys:

http://www.aviator-watch.com/

RepProdigious

Enlightened
I have a small collection of watches.
Over time I realized that I like my g-shocks best. These are the ones that get the most wristtime.

gwm5600bc-positive.jpg

Hey, thats cool! I have one of those, only mine is a BC-negative!

As far as value for money goes its very very hard to beat!

I also have quite a little collection of various other brands and i have to say for a simple analog watch the Marathons are brilliant! My T-Sar is as unbreakable as a watch can possibly be!