ArmyTek
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What's your ideal watch?

Default Re: What's your ideal watch?

My ideal watch is Omega Speedmaster which I use as a daily beater. I love the styling. In my daily use I tend to bump and bang it all the time. No scrathes on the sapphire glass. Some scuff on the steel casing. It is quite durable. I've had this for 7 years.

I like it because it's automatic and has the day of week, month and day.

Here it is.
    http://www.avente-watches.com/products/3523.80.00.cfm

This is the current model which is a little different
    http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/sp...-date/32228000
    I have multiple lights for each of Surefire, HDS/Ra/Novatac, Jetbeam, Zebralights, FourSevens, Fenix and some from other manufacturers.
    See my Lights #132

Flashaholic

Thats mine..

Quote Originally Posted by william lafferty View Post
    One of my favorites is the UTS Chronograph.

Not really a fan of the watch, but I do love that bracelet.

Eric

The timex datalink -- a discontinued (as of 2010) PDA-watch

This watch is so awesome!

* It has a true 10 entry appointments book -- which means you can set the watch to go off at any time of the year, month, week, day. For example, you can set an alarm 6 months from now, with the message, "Change Oil".
    * It has the old standard ironman lap memory. I actually have this constantly running, to time my "intervals" throughout the day, how much time I spend working, exercising, relaxing, etc.
    * 5 alarms, separate from the appointment book.
    * Notes! I use it for email addresses of people I meet, shopping lists, weird useful stuff like license plate numbers, reminders. Obviously you can't write a paper on here.
    * Timers -- I use it mostly for tea or cooking

I really wish they would bring this watch back, or someone would make another version of this. I don't expect my watch to tell me the atmospheric pressure or the baraometer readings, but in 2010, I think I should be able to expect a watch to do arbitrary alarms. Also, the notes feature is surprisingly useful. For example, I was in a locker room yesterday, and took down somebody's email address.

In short, the most useful watch ever, assuming you want to do complex with your time.

Quote Originally Posted by q335r49 View Post

The timex datalink -- a discontinued (as of 2010) PDA-watch

This watch is so awesome!

* It has a true 10 entry appointments book -- which means you can set the watch to go off at any time of the year, month, week, day. For example, you can set an alarm 6 months from now, with the message, "Change Oil".
    * It has the old standard ironman lap memory. I actually have this constantly running, to time my "intervals" throughout the day, how much time I spend working, exercising, relaxing, etc.
    * 5 alarms, separate from the appointment book.
    * Notes! I use it for email addresses of people I meet, shopping lists, weird useful stuff like license plate numbers, reminders. Obviously you can't write a paper on here.
    * Timers -- I use it mostly for tea or cooking

I really wish they would bring this watch back, or someone would make another version of this. I don't expect my watch to tell me the atmospheric pressure or the baraometer readings, but in 2010, I think I should be able to expect a watch to do arbitrary alarms. Also, the notes feature is surprisingly useful. For example, I was in a locker room yesterday, and took down somebody's email address.

In short, the most useful watch ever, assuming you want to do complex with your time.
    nice timex, i always like this datalink, of which you can do actual programming on, and them upload to the watch.

i wanted to get one but i just figure out i won't have time to do the programming on it (even though i would love to)

and the other problem is that i way too many other watches that needs my attention as well .. LOL
    Let there be light.

Well there are so many of them...this Eco-Zilla 300m titanium model has seen lot of use lately.

Mine is a stainless Navy Seals Luminox with a stainless band. 10+ years later, the crystal is not scratched and it still works on the ORIGINAL battery! It doesn't get much better than that for me.
    No, I'm not new. My whole profile was lost in the great crash of 2011.

*Flashaholic*

My collection isn't as impressive as some of the others but here it is:

On the far left is a $3 watch I recently purchased from the local discount store. I added the stainless expansion band to replace the cheap plastic strap it came with. Next to that is the Seiko memory watch I received in 1980. This watch can store up to 7 16-character messages, and display them on its dot matrix display. Pretty impressive technology for 1980. The Casio dates from the late 1980s IIRC. Not as impressive as the Seiko, but I purchased it because of the combo digital/analog time display. On the far right is my late grandfather's 17-jewel Buren. Not sure when this watch was made, but offhand I'd say early-mid 1960s.

Not shown are the numerous el cheapo generic watches I own.

I've long been obsessed with checking any new watches I purchase for accuracy. In fact, both the Seiko and Casio have an internal adjustment which I spent a good amount of time playing with. I just put batteries in both for the first time in a few years after seeing this thread. I don't recall the exact accuracy of either watch now, but I remember synchronizing the Seiko to atomic time whenever we moved the clocks an hour ahead or behind. The next time this occurred ~6 months later, the time was usually only a couple of seconds off. The Casio wasn't much worse. Now that I have a GPS, I'll keep better tabs on the accuracy of both watches. As of today both watches have the exact same time as my GPS (you can see how the seconds are synchronized). The $3 watch on the far left so far has gained 7 seconds since the time change 20 days ago, which translates to a bit over 2 minutes a year. No internal adjustments unfortunately, but then again not bad time-keeping for a $3 timepiece. The Buren has only gained 67.5 seconds in the same 20 days. This is not much over 3 seconds per day, which I've read is impressive for a mechanical watch. I recall my grandfather fiddling with the escapement adjust. Apparently he got it right.

Quote Originally Posted by jtr1962 View Post
    I've long been obsessed with checking any new watches I purchase for accuracy.
    But a watch isn't just about accurately telling time, it's about presenting your relationship with time. Even the Wal-Mart $10 kid's superhero watch is accurate to within a few seconds a month. That being said, if accuracy is your only criteria, some of the current generation of NIST signal-set "atomic" watches can be had for under $30..

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    But a watch isn't just about accurately telling time, it's about presenting your relationship with time.
    Accuracy isn't my only criteria of course, but it's high on my list. A pretty watch which is inaccurate is useless for anything other than an ornamental function.

Even the Wal-Mart $10 kid's superhero watch is accurate to within a few seconds a month.
    Typical figures for low-end quartz watches are ±30 seconds a month. How accurate a watch needs to be depends upon individual preference. For many people ±30 seconds a month is "good enough", and they'll purchase the watch solely for other reasons. Those who might get excited by hyper-accurate timepieces are undoubtedly a minority even among watch/clock enthusiasts.

That being said, if accuracy is your only criteria, some of the current generation of NIST signal-set "atomic" watches can be had for under $30..
    I'm amazed these kinds of watches are this inexpensive. Last time I checked, they were over $100. Time for another watch? I'm actually leaning towards this one because it avoids both the need to set the time AND change batteries.

On another note, even though these atomic clock watches will always be accurate, the engineering isn't as impressive as a watch with a built-in hyper-accurate time base. If money were no object for me (which it is, unfortunately), I would be first in line to purchase a watch incorporating a CSAC (chip-scale atomic clock) just for pure appreciation of the engineering inside it. Practically speaking, there's no need for ±0.01 second per century accuracy in a watch. In fact, I'm personally happy with the kind of timekeeping my Seiko does, which is within a few seconds a year. Past that, it's more about my relation to time and the engineering involved measuring it. Watches/clocks are the most accurate mass-produced instruments made. Even $1 quartz watch is better than 0.001% accurate. That's laboratory grade for instruments measuring any other parameter except time.

Didn't expect it. But my Citizen BM7080-03E is slowly becoming my ideal watch. Eco-Drive technology is fantastic, and very underrated. Many Eco-Drive models have been known to go 10 - 12 years before the rechargeable battery needs replacing. And, I'm already starting to build some memories with that watch. For now though, I'm experimenting with my first inexpensive automatic. A black Orient Mako diver's model. At first it was several seconds off per day. But it seems to be settling down. Last couple of days it was +-2 seconds.

And yes, I'm using my Citizen to time the Orient.
    Last edited by Monocrom; 01-17-2012 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Clarification.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Don't know a lot about watches, don't even own one but would love a Rolex submariner, stainless with a blue dial. That is unrealistic for my budget so I'd be happy with a Tag Heuer Aquaracer with a blue dial.

My brand new Submariner Ceramic just came in today... I sure am in love. I'll get pics up tomorrow

^^Click for my beamshots!!^^ My Flashlights

BLANCPAIN 50 fathoms is IMO the most beautiful wristwatch ever put together, especially the Anniversary model. I don't own one yet.

Used to be a breitling Chronospace, then a Breitling New Pluton, Then a Breitling B-1 finally got tired of breitlings being one day going down in a subway bracelet opened watch fell off wrist to the faulkt of a pin flying off, causing the watch to turn into a trizillion parts sent it to Breitling they advised me it will cost $800.00 to put it together instead of covering it through there warranty.
    At that point I decided to get rid of all my other Breiltling watches b efore they also fell apart like that one. Now Only use a Citizen ProMaster, Tissot Touch Titanium, Seiko Perpetual calender Premium series, A ESQ Venture, a fe other less expensive seikos and also casios with compass and Atomic time set.
    However dont really wear much of watches anymore being that were living in such an advanced digital age where everything we have already tells us the time anyways from a Computer, to a phone, calculator, and god so many other things too.

Enlightened

Though I appreciate some of the benefits of digital (alarm, timer, stopwatch), I much prefer an analog face.

The two that I have work well for me.

For a daily user, I want something that can take the bumps and bangs of the real world without having to worry about it failing to function. Casio watches seem to do just that. For me, the Casio AW43-7E1V works very nicely for a daily-use watch. It's waterproof to 50M (great for Oregon rain) and yet still has a thin, analog look that doesn't look out of place in a crowd.

For nicer outings, I have a Raymond Weil Tango analog. Requires monthly correction of the inability to hold the Day that's typical of watches from a few decades back, but it's otherwise a wonderful watch. Elegant enough for a nice night out, accurate, unobtrusive, durable, also waterproof. Didn't require selling of 1000 shares of CSCO to acquire.

Last edited by pnwoutdoors; 04-05-2011 at 03:03 AM.
    SF L2 w/ Malkoff M61W/M60LL, NailBender XMLLambda 2DXML MagFenix P1D/P1D-CES-Mini XPGQuark 123 Tactical R5Posts intended to assist, without intent to shill, advertise or abuse.

Grinser2 Re: What's your ideal watch?

Quote Originally Posted by kengps View Post

Yep....still this one.
    "Now they will know why they are afraid of the dark. Now they learn why they fear the night."-Thulsa Doom PAYPAL FEE CALCULATOR; list of lights.

Quote Originally Posted by fisk-king View Post
    Yep....still this one.
    Wow,
    Just looked up these.. all I can say is I'd be afraid to leave the house with that on my wrist.

I'd love a Sub without a cyclops. But those aren't easy to find. Second favorite is the Explorer. No cyclops . . . But that's due to having no date window at all.

MKII makes a nice Explorer homage that is quality. Has a date window that's out of the way if you just glance at the dial.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

If you are interested in a Sub ND let me know, and I can point you in the right direction!

If you want a normal Sub minus the Cyclops it can be done Just have the crystal swapped with a ND crystal

Quote Originally Posted by Max Brightness View Post
    My ideal watch is Omega Speedmaster which I use as a daily beater. I love the styling. In my daily use I tend to bump and bang it all the time. No scrathes on the sapphire glass. Some scuff on the steel casing. It is quite durable. I've had this for 7 years.

I feel the same way about my Seamaster!

Quote Originally Posted by fisk-king View Post
    Yep....still this one.
    Patek Philippe
    Last edited by shado; 01-18-2012 at 04:32 PM.
    My Lights_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Quote Originally Posted by DimeRazorback View Post
    If you are interested in a Sub ND let me know, and I can point you in the right direction!
    I truly appreciate the offer. But, I must be honest with myself. No matter what watch I wear, it must have a date feature. If it doesn't, I know it won't get any wrist time. A normal Sub with the crystal from a Sub ND sounds like a possibility. I'll contact Rolex to see if such a swap would void their warranty. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    I truly appreciate the offer. But, I must be honest with myself. No matter what watch I wear, it must have a date feature. If it doesn't, I know it won't get any wrist time. A normal Sub with the crystal from a Sub ND sounds like a possibility. I'll contact Rolex to see if such a swap would void their warranty. Thanks for the tip.
    I felt the same way ... until I got a PAM 111. That watch showed me how addicting a watch can be without a hacking movement and a date complication. :-)

Now I can wait a Sub ND with no problem and when I need to know what date is today, that's what the cell phone is for ... LOL

I don't believer Rolex will modify any watch for you or keep the warranty if the watch has been modified. So I don't think they will swap out the crystal for you (from a official service center). And here in the US, I heard its quite difficult to get replacement parts from Rolex.

If you like Sub date without the cyclops, you can send it to a reputable watch marker to have the cyclops removed. or get a 16600 SD instead ;-)
    Let there be light.

My ideal watch lately has been the Rolex Explorer II white dial (16570). It's perfect for dressing up or down, its very comfortable to wear all day (flatter caseback and smaller clasps than Sub), no rotating bezel or bezel insert to break, not a lot of sports Rolex has white dial (the other ones are Daytona and Milgauss). Mine is M series so it has the improved 3186 movement we well.

Let there be light.

*Flashaholic*

I ended up buying this watch instead of my original choice. After several aborted attempts it finally synced to atomic time:

And just for kicks here is the same watch next to the older Casio and Seiko:

I synchronized both of these watches to atomic time 13 days ago. The Seiko only gained about half a second, and the Casio slightly more ( which is why it is apparently a full second ahead of my freshly synchronized G-Shock ). If I remember I'll take another similar picture in around 6 months.

Okay I have a new found love for Omega's. I'm thinking I want a Speedmaster 300m Ti on my wrist.

http://www.amazon.com/Omega-2232-80-.../dp/B000GG88HU

Quote Originally Posted by cw_mi View Post
    Okay I have a new found love for Omega's. I'm thinking I want a Speedmaster 300m Ti on my wrist.

http://www.amazon.com/Omega-2232-80-.../dp/B000GG88HU
    Omega is good choice My Seamaster is my only EDC not to change in the last five years! A great bullet proof watch

My Lights_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Quote Originally Posted by shado View Post
    Omega is good choice My Seamaster is my only EDC not to change in the last five years! A great bullet proof watch
    Shado , your picture is what set it off. I saw the watch, and did some google searching and reading and well now I want one. Want to sell it ? LOL