Make anything (small) a headlamp

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wasn't able to find this here, so here it is.

Headlamps are handy for doing things, but they're usually inconvenient to carry. Most are palm-sized or else really not very bright - some have battery packs dangling, and they usually have straps all over. Why not stick your favorite tiny light to the side of your head, for (nearly) free?

Instructions I found. They work pretty well. The "make a washer and sacrifice 2 zip ties" is optional, and only needed if your elastic cord is thick compared to the zip tie head size.

Here's my Quark MiNi AA with this treatment.
4626429714_d892025dd5_o.jpg

All wrapped up. I tied the same knots they did, with the little pull tab for untying it. That's the part that sticks out; I could take extra time and tuck it in, or just grab the end without making a handle if that bothered me.

4626429592_56fd384d29.jpg

Wearing it. I'm not propping it with the camera, honest.

4625823249_b11c66d33b_o.jpg

Side view

4626429116_4fbe5b109e_o.jpg

Tossing my head to dislodge it - nope.

I didn't need a washer to help hold the cord on because my zip tie is huge and the cord I used is small.

Edited: Picture size.

Last edited:

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks a little uncomfortable. Are you going to include a photo of the line it leaves on your forehead? :whistle: BTW, one of those pics is oversized. Rule 3.

bennysan

Newly Enlightened
:grin2: nice to see someone using my idea,

Tips:
- if you place the cable tie further back on the flashlight it will make
the flashlight point straight forward or slightly downwards ( in your pictures it points upwards )

- using a thicker shock cord (2,5 mm or 3/32 inch) also makes it much more comfortable to wear.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks a little uncomfortable. Are you going to include a photo of the line it leaves on your forehead? :whistle: BTW, one of those pics is oversized. Rule 3.

Thanks on the picture.

:grin2: nice to see someone using my idea,

Tips:
- if you place the cable tie further back on the flashlight it will make
the flashlight point straight forward or slightly downwards ( in your pictures it points upwards )

- using a thicker shock cord (2,5 mm or 3/32 inch) also makes it much more comfortable to wear.

I figured this idea came from one of you people! I just hadn't found a writeup of it and figured that it belonged on CPF. Thicker shock cord would be better (and comfier), but this is what I had laying around. Next time I go to a tool store I'll pick up the good stuff. With a cord this thin it's not the best to wear. I'll experiment with elastic straps too; the kind they sell at fabric stores.

Shorty66

Enlightened
I did a similar thing for my Zebralight as the standard headband is a lot to bulky to edc in your pants pocket.

I am using non-elastic cord however as elastic cord keeps leaving lines on your forehead and beeing uncofortable.
Its a tad difficult to get the length of the cord right but if you get the lenght a little shorter than your maximum head circumference the light will be held in place quite good.

I dont think that its the solution for heavier lights but my h501 feels perfect with that headband.

I also do not use zip ties but a knot to directly fit the cord to the lamp.

Ajay

Enlightened
:lolsign: Holy crap! That is ghetto!

Nice try amigo but it does look uncomfortable and my geek cred is high but damn you got me beat.

:crackup:

Seriously though...keep experimenting who knows maybe you can have a marketable idea soon.

peace

Shorty66

Enlightened
This is how my solution looks like.
No need for bulky elastics or ugly zip ties :p

In the first picture you can also see that i glued a magnet to the inside of the Battery cap. That way the light doenst get larger through the magnet and the magnet is protected against hits.

Shorty66

Enlightened
Well guys, headlamps always look shitty.
Especially as this is meant to be an additional feature to lights which are normaly handheld the visuals shouldn`t be important at all.

I like the idea but there is some room for improvement.

Latest posts