Inova T5 vs Fenix TK11

shipwreck

Enlightened
I have another thread asking opinions between a Quark Turbo and the newest version of the Fenix TK11.

Strangely enough, I have an affinity towards Inova lights. I have an OX3 and a T2-MP. I had ordered a T5-MP yesterday at a website with a great price, but they contacted me today and stated that the light had been discontinued. I can still get it at other sites, but the price is now about euqal to a Fenix.

The Lumen output of the T5-MP is 200 lumens, where as the Fenix TK11 is 280. But, is the Fenix just as durable. I've dropped my Inova XO3 a couple of times on ceramic tile, and it keeps on chugging. Inovas are known for being super durable. How is the durability of the Fenix TK11?

Also, the range on the Inova states 400 feet, yet the Fenix claims 200 meters (600 ft). Still quite a difference. I am interested in something that throws a bit further than my Inova T2-MP, which claims 350 feet at 140 lumens.

Despite the change in ownership and seemingly crappy warranty service for older products with the new owners (reported here), I have experience with Inova lights and really like them. I've never tried a Fenix before.

Any suggestions on which way I should go?

Last edited:

rider

Newly Enlightened
I have another thread asking opinions between a Quark Turbo and the newest version of the Fenix TK11.

Strangely enough, I have an affinity towards Inova lights. I have an OX3 and a T2-MP. I had ordered a T5-MP yesterday at a website with a great price, but they contacted me today and stated that the light had been discontinued. I can still get it at other sites, but the price is now about euqal to a Fenix.

The Lumen output of the T5-MP is 200 lumens, where as the Fenix TK11 is 280. But, is the Fenix just as durable. I've dropped my Inova XO3 a couple of times on ceramic tile, and it keeps on chugging. Inovas are known for being super durable. How is the durability of the Fenix TK11?

Also, the range on the Inova states 400 feet, yet the Fenix claims 200 meters (600 ft). Still quite a difference. I am interested in something that throws a bit further than my Inova T2-MP, which claims 350 feet at 140 lumens.

Despite the change in ownership and seemingly crappy warranty service for older products with the new owners (reported here), I have experience with Inova lights and really like them. I've never tried a Fenix before.

Any suggestions on which way I should go?

I'm not personally a big Fenix fan- but what are you going to do if your T5 is DOA or fails after the dealer's return period (if any) is up?

Unfortunately, you'll have to toss it in the trash since Nite-Ize won't honor the warranty. I'd have to suggest going with the Fenix- 4-Sevens will stand behind the product.

shipwreck

Enlightened
Yes, I think you do have a good point. I don't 100% know the T5 has been discontinued, as its still listed on the company's website. But if it is, knowing what others have gone thru on this forum - I suppose I should skip the T5....

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about the Inova T5-MP, but the newest version, 200 lumen Inova T4-MP is impressive. I use it just about each night while walking on rural roads.

It replaced my old TIROS version Inova T4 and is a huge improvement in both throw and flood. It's like carrying a car headlight in your hand. Tint is quite good, too.

shipwreck

Enlightened
I don't know about the Inova T5-MP, but the newest version, 200 lumen Inova T4-MP is impressive. I use it just about each night while walking on rural roads.

It replaced my old TIROS version Inova T4 and is a huge improvement in both throw and flood. It's like carrying a car headlight in your hand. Tint is quite good, too.

Is that the rechargeable model? That looks kewl, but costs a bit more than I wanted to spend.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
shipwreck I have read your two threads and it seems you like medium sized 2xcr123 size lights and looking to spend around $100 or less, below is a few of my favorites.

Eagletac P20C2 MKII and T20C2 MKII
Jetbeam RRT-2
Jetbeam Jet-III M

Don't forget your CPF discounts.

shipwreck

Enlightened
shipwreck I have read your two threads and it seems you like medium sized 2xcr123 size lights and looking to spend around $100 or less, below is a few of my favorites.

Eagletac P20C2 MKII and T20C2 MKII
Jetbeam RRT-2
Jetbeam Jet-III M

Don't forget your CPF discounts.

Yes, you are correct.

I've settled on the Eagletac P20C2 Mk II - but I will admit that I haven't even looked at Jetbeams. I guess I'll check those out too :twothumbs

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good choice I carry the P20 MKII everyday, just encase you don't already know be sure and get the textured reflector because with the smooth their is a donut hole in the center of the beam.

shipwreck

Enlightened
Good choice I carry the P20 MKII everyday, just encase you don't already know be sure and get the textured reflector because with the smooth their is a donut hole in the center of the beam.

Doesn't the smooth one have more throw, however. I've seen that mentioned several times

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I'm not personally a big Fenix fan- but what are you going to do if your T5 is DOA or fails after the dealer's return period (if any) is up?

Unfortunately, you'll have to toss it in the trash since Nite-Ize won't honor the warranty. I'd have to suggest going with the Fenix- 4-Sevens will stand behind the product.

The comment about the warranty is not true. Nite Ize will honor the warranty. There was a particular issue from Nite Ize regarding a product that had been discontinued for a while, before they had ever purchased Inova. And they did not say they werent going to honor it, they are just giving a partial refund since being long since discontinured there would be no way to fix.
the T5 is a current product as far as I know and Nite Ize will honor the warranty. When I talked to a representative she related that they were busy taking care of warranty claims on certain Inova lights with problems.

I dont have a T5 but I have a T4 and was considering it as a police duty light. I am sure the T5 is great and reliable. My only complaint is that it takes 3xcr123. Maybe you can run it off of 2x18500 or something?
I would have no problem relying on it in important situations though.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usualy the smooth reflector will but with the donut hole it hurts the throw so it appears they are about even in throw when I compare them at any amount of distances. I prefer throw to but because they are about even because of the dim centered smooth I just carry the textured reflector because it does not have the donut hole to bug me.

shipwreck

Enlightened
The comment about the warranty is not true. Nite Ize will honor the warranty. There was a particular issue from Nite Ize regarding a product that had been discontinued for a while, before they had ever purchased Inova. And they did not say they werent going to honor it, they are just giving a partial refund since being long since discontinured there would be no way to fix.
the T5 is a current product as far as I know and Nite Ize will honor the warranty. When I talked to a representative she related that they were busy taking care of warranty claims on certain Inova lights with problems.

I dont have a T5 but I have a T4 and was considering it as a police duty light. I am sure the T5 is great and reliable. My only complaint is that it takes 3xcr123. Maybe you can run it off of 2x18500 or something?
I would have no problem relying on it in important situations though.

Well, this 1 place claimed that the T5 had been discontinued - which WOULD run me into that problem as described in the other forum.

I just ordered an EagleTac P20C2 Mark 2 - I also got the smooth reflector. I've seen others state that they switched to the textured one, and then back to the smooth. I just went ahead and got the smooth one.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
The T series Inova's are very rugged lights. During a review of a T4-MP I ran it over with my car twice with no ill effects. The T series has a very unique beam pattern which I find very useful and pleasing. They also tend to have a much warmer tint than the cool LED's in the Fenix. The T4 is mentioned a lot in this thread. If you choose it over the T5 keep in mind that because it is rechargable, it is not as water resistant as the T1,T2, T3, or T5. The charging port on the T4-MP is not o-ring sealed. Inova claims spash proof only.

Bill

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

What is the tint like on yours? I have the 175 lumen version, and the beam is very smooth and nicely floody.

shipwreck

Enlightened
The T series Inova's are very rugged lights. During a review of a T4-MP I ran it over with my car twice with no ill effects. The T series has a very unique beam pattern which I find very useful and pleasing. They also tend to have a much warmer tint than the cool LED's in the Fenix. The T4 is mentioned a lot in this thread. If you choose it over the T5 keep in mind that because it is rechargable, it is not as water resistant as the T1,T2, T3, or T5. The charging port on the T4-MP is not o-ring sealed. Inova claims spash proof only.

Bill

I actually really like the Inova lights I have. The XOs are cooler than I expected, after owned an OX3 for a year that actually is a warmer light - almost like an incandescent.

My new T2-MP is very imprssive. The light circle isn't as perfect as the light put out by my XO3. The T2 is brighter, but the center hotspot isn't a perfect circle. I am impressed with Inova lights however, and I wanted one even brighter.

I wasn't too keen on the extra length of the T5, but that's the brightest one in that price range that Inova makes. I found a place that was almost $20 cheaper than anyone else - but after I placed the order, they told me that the light had been discontinued.

Since then, after scouring this site, I found some good lights that put out more light than the 200 lumen T5MP. And, if the T5 really is discontinued, I didn't want any issues with the new ownership.

So, I have an Eagletac coming now.

Anyway, I still have my 4 Inovas, all of which I really like.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really enjoy the simplicity and build quality of Inova. I also like the reasonable drive levels, with decent runtimes as a result. T1 and T4 are my favorites.

shipwreck

Enlightened
Yes, the eagletac will be my first multimode light. I do like the simple 1 mode of the Inovas as well.

That was one reason I skipped the Fenix, and I saw some issues mentioned here with the Quarks with the mode switching

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the tint like on yours? I have the 175 lumen version, and the beam is very smooth and nicely floody.

Difficult to characterize the tint on my 200 lumen T4-MP absolutely except to say it appears almost pure white, like the HDS Basic 42XRGT I used to have.

My other lights are either warmer or cooler. The T4-MP tint is between them. :grin2:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did the generation name change?
MP (when it came out in Jan '08?) was T: 1,2,3,4,5 100,125,150,175,200 lumens
WB before that
TIROS before that.

The update pushed those numbers to 110,140,165,200,200
Didn't they move away from the Luxeon K2-tffc? (and the warmest-cool white tint they used went away too right?)

Last edited: