Need Help Obtaining A Good 5W LED For KL3 Mod.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to mod a KL3 I have as I use it on my UBH II and I'm sick of it's sickly purple beam. I want to use a 5W LED. The KL3 seems to be a great candidate for a 5W. I have to admit though, I don't know much about them. I've heard I need a V3 or higher. Can anyone help me out here as to where I can get a V3 or higher 5W that will be bright and white? Any suggestions as to what LED I should use to produce the best combination of white and bright? Thanks.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im fairly new to Luxeons in general, but V2 or V3 seem to be the best that you can easily obtain. There are W bins around, but they get snapped up straight away, or turn up in Mods ( such as the original run of McModules).
On a seperate note, im also interested in putting a 5 watter in a KL3, and id love to know how you plan on doing this. Are you going to mess with the regulator to increase the drive? if not, the 5 watter is going to be quite underdriven and be tinted whatever bin Luxeon you put in there.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm having CM place my W4W into a KL3. CM will replace a smt component to tune the output to 850 ma as soon as he returns from vacation.

CM advises that the max input voltage for the KL3 buck circuit is 9.8 V.

The least satisfactory aspect of this mod will be that the NX-05 will be retained. The head is not large enough for a Fraen optic and I'm not aware of a suitable reflector alternative.

I'm hoping that a pair of Li-Ions won't underdrive this very high Vf Luxeon. Worst case, I might have to drive it with 2 @ 123's plus a 50 mm Li-Ion in a 6P body extended with an A14.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lemlux : check out Slick's thread in this forum about the new NX sized Fraen optics. Might be worth holding the Mod till these suckers are released, the beamshots look very promising.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
tylerdurden:

Thanks for the link. Part of the problem I forsee is that CM will be using the existing SF board and configuration. Don started with an empty KL3 housing and positioned a BB750 as and where he chose. Also, although I've snipped and filed the outer inactive rim of a 30 mm optic to fit one in a Legend LX, the back to front distance seems comparable to a Fraen 5W optic, and CM reports that it is too long to fit.

kakster:

Slick's post seems to deal primarily with how much better the small Fraens deal with 1 W HD's than the NX-01 oe NX-05. I don't think he considered them for the 5W.

Both suggestions are appreciated.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
kakster,
CM volunteered to do this mod for me but he requires you to provide the LED for him. I don't know anything about how to get an appropriate 5W LED for the KL3. All these posts to my thread haven't explained a thing as to where to get one.

Hi Clark, (lemlux),
You always talk so technical and are so hard to understand. You seem to know EVERYTHING about mods. How come you don't do any of these conversions yourself? Just wondering.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gene : i dont know anywhere offhand that has V binned 5 watters in stock, you might try emailing wayne from Elektrolimens. Failing that, i have a pair of V4's coming to me in the post, if you're really stuck, id be prepared to let one go at cost ($28).

Lemlux : maybe try the new LDF lens from a sponser here. I will be trying one with a 5 watt/NX05 combo once all the parts arrive.