Overdriven XP-G? How to heatsink?

cowana

Newly Enlightened
I've bought a UniqueFire L2 flashlight (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.33549).

It has a Cree XP-G (R5) LED. The tailcap current on high is between 1.6 and 1.7A - higher than the maximum 1.5A is is meant to have. Of course this is the tailcap current, but the reviews on DX indicate that there is no regulation, so I imagine this is the LED current, too.

The LED gets quite warn - how do I best conduct heat from the P60 module to the case? I have heard of the aluminium foil mod - what is this?

Lastly, the LED is not mounted in the centre of the reflector - it is slightly to one side. The beam pattern looks good enough for me - am I OK to leave it like it is?

Thanks for any comments

Andrew

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would leave it like it is regarding the led.

As far as the heat, I just use thermal paste and use it on the heatsink and reflector where they come close or touch the aluminum tube.

Some people use aluminum foil and wrap it around the drop-in module so that it makes contact with the aluminum tube. Just make sure that it can't come loose and fall down and short out the battery.

That's a good light if you get one that works and doesn't immediately burn out the led. I've had both kinds. I probably wrote the review that you read on DX.

If you are interested in a forward clicky you can easily convert this light to a forward clicky by just ordered the Romisen forward clicky from Shiningbeam (in NY) for less than $2.00. It's more or less a direct drop-in replacement of the old switch. Anyway, enjoy your light!

Last edited:

cowana

Newly Enlightened
I checked with my calipers, and the gap is very small - around 0.05mm on each side. I'll stick some thermal paste there.

Is the forward clicky you talk about this one? If so, I'll get one. Edit: At $6 shipping to the UK, it seems a bit expensive... I can't find anyone else who sells it...

It is a very impressive torch for the price!

Andrew

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I checked with my calipers, and the gap is very small - around 0.05mm on each side. I'll stick some thermal paste there.

Is the forward clicky you talk about this one? If so, I'll get one. Edit: At $6 shipping to the UK, it seems a bit expensive... I can't find anyone else who sells it...

It is a very impressive torch for the price!

Andrew

That's it. I'd order a few of them while you're at it. Solarforce offers a forward clicky as a whole tailcap and charges $20 or so for it so this is still cheap.

I ordered 5 of them while I was at it and have already used two.

I agree, it is impressive! It's impressive as a drop-in host as well. You can drop-in a XR-E R2 and have a really good "thrower" especially if you get the $2.00 aspheric lens from DX which is a direct replacement for the front lens.

Last edited:

cowana

Newly Enlightened
You can drop-in a XR-E R2 and have a really good "thrower" especially if you get the $2.00 aspheric lens from DX which is a direct replacement for the front lens.

I've got that exact setup in a WF-502B host. It's great.

Is it just as easy to change modes with a forward clicky?

Andrew

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thermal paste I use is Arctic Silver 5.

Put it around the threads on the pill and screw it back to the reflector and just clean off the excess.

The best way to cool it is to stick a copper slug inside where the driver usually goes, but only Anto and his P60 drop-in have that:ohgeez: Maybe you could PM him and ask him for a copper slug. If it is wired direct drive then it should fit with ease considering he uses a 1.4A driver with them.

good luck,
bigC

cowana

Newly Enlightened
I've just ordered four forward clicky switches, so they should arrive in a week or so.

Andrew