Surefire Stratum (S2-BK-WH) Review

Vernon

Enlightened
I received my new Surefire S2-BK-WH from batteryjunction.com yesterday and thought I'd post my initial thoughts and, of course, photos. When I first opened the package, I immediately set the light beside my old 6P for comparison. It obviously looks and feels totally different, but I can already tell that the S2 could quickly become the new standard, dependable, go-to Surefire.

5 > 50 >160 Lumen Output. You can 'bump' the tailswitch to cycle through or turn the light on/off within two seconds to cycle. The S2 always initiates on the low setting.

dsc8528.jpg

Standard, sharp looking Surefire packaging.

dsc8529b.jpg

A00017. I'm not sure what I think of the "FC CE" stamp on the bezel. It seems a bit unnecessary.

dsc8532r.jpg

Switch:

dsc8540.jpg

The bezel is designed with numerous small teeth that show up in the beam pattern. However, the spill on the S2 is incredibly broad, so the pattern doesn't show when using the light outside.

dsc8537w.jpg

The Stratum feels really nice in hand: well balanced, notched for grip, and built like a tank. It's mil-spec hard-anodized aluminum body feels smooth, heavy, and gives you that sense that most Surefire lights do: this thing is going to last forever (and if it doesn't, SF will stand behind it).

The clicky switch stands out most on this light compared to my other SF's. The S2's switch is so well balanced in that it's easy to 'bump' through the three modes, but it's definitely resistant enough that it won't accidently bump or click on in pocket. Low: 5 lumens @ 75 hours / Medium: 50 lumens @ 15 hours / High: 160 lumens @ 2 hours.

The beam pattern is definitely a big change after being so used to the TIR optic. The spill on this thing is ridiculous, and the spot is actually quite tight. I wouldn't call it a thrower by any stretch, but it's tighter than the pattern from my LX2 and E2DL, for sure. I was surprised the bezel felt quite warm after running the Stratum for about four to five minutes on High. By no means is it uncomfortable, but I expected it to take longer to reach that warmth level considering the extra aluminum on the S2 compared to the LX1 or E2DL.

I hope this has given a little insight into this brand new light from Surefire. This is my first review, so feel free to drop any questions below and I'll try to answer. Thanks.

Last edited:

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
BEAUTIFUL!

Thanks for posting it. :thumbsup:

Can you see what kind of LED it has inside ?

Last edited:

BIGLOU

Enlightened
Thanks for posting! Dang I'm going to be broke very soon.

Vernon

Enlightened
I have no clue how to get this over to the "reviews" thread, so feel free to weigh in here if you know.

nanomu

Newly Enlightened
A00017. I'm not sure what I think of the "FC CE" stamp on the bezel. It seems a bit unnecessary.

I wouldn't call it a thrower by any stretch, but it's tighter than the pattern from my LX2 and E2DL, for sure.

Nice review!

Nice job on the low SN! Yeah, I agree the big FCC/CE could be placed smaller on the side, or not at all.

Not a thrower, but tighter than the LX2? To me at least the LX2 is one of the tighest, farthest throwing lights I've seen. Anyway, I'm a big fan of lights with reflectors with a decent amount of spill, so this light looks great!

I assume the head is one piece. Is it compatable / lego-able with any other SF lights?

Would love to see some beamshots of this thing.

The important thing: what do people think of what appears to be SF's new logo?

Vernon

Enlightened
Good thought about the LX2....it is a tight beam pattern and I would call it a thrower as well. The Stratum has an even tighter spot, but it has so much spill that the spot itself isn't near as hot/intense as the LX2. Does that make sense? I guess it's a thrower in the sense that the spot is tight, but my guess is the lux rating wouldn't be too impressive.

The new logo...hmmm...I'm just noticing that. It's amazing how many detailed changes SF's made to the new line up.

nanomu

Newly Enlightened
The Stratum has an even tighter spot, but it has so much spill that the spot itself isn't near as hot/intense as the LX2. Does that make sense?

Yes! Thanks for that clarification. This light sounds (and looks) very cool. I may have to add it to my ever-expanding "to buy" list. ;)

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish they found a better way to switch then by using this "cycle through the modes" nonsense that many other brands are already working past.

Crenshaw

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review vernon,i got mine on tuesday of this week, great beam pattern on this!
I like the UI on this as well.My #X00004.

Thanks

Please tell us what the LED looks like. Is it hexagonal also?
I wonder if they're using the K2's consistently across the line?

Rocketman

Enlightened
Low, medium and high, nice black finish, reflector. I might have to buy one of these. This seems as if Surefire has actually made a light for me!

Why is this light not on the Surefire website? Where can I buy one?

Litbobber

Enlightened
Low, medium and high, nice black finish, reflector. I might have to buy one of these. This seems as if Surefire has actually made a light for me!

Why is this light not on the Surefire website? Where can I buy one?

Try LA police gear,thats where i got mine.Nope not on the surefire website.