Power camcorder from 2S li-po

marcopolo

Newly Enlightened
Hello all. As i'm no member of a camcorder forum I thought i'd try here!

I have a Canon HF-11 camcorder. It runs from a smart li-ion pack rated '7.4v' presumably being a li-ion 2S battery. 3rd party bateries are rubbish, so i'm wondering if I can retro fit an external pack in place of the AC-DC adapter which plugs directly into the camcorder.

This is where I get lost. The adapter is rated 8.4V 2A. Becasue this powers both the camcorder AND charges the battey via DC input in the camera am I right in presuming that the adapter is NOT a charger and that the 2 cell charging circuitry is in the camcorder itself?

I know there is now way the battery gets charged at 2A as it takes 2+ hrs to charge a 800mAH battery.

So if the charging circuit is in the camcorder and not DC output of the adapter thaen surely i'm safe to make up an external battery pack of 2 li-po/li-ion cells that plugs dierctly into the DC camera input?

This is the other sticky problem: if the charger circuit is in the camcorder then will it have voltage boost? Otherwise i'll never be able to charge the onboard camera battery to above the external battery pack voltage. it will still however run the camera even if it stops charging the battery I think.

and ideas appreciated.

Marco.