Unhappy with my Nitcore D10 TE

joepa150

Newly Enlightened
I have the Nitecore D10 Tribute Edition. I love everything about it except the piston drive is hard to press and isn't a smooth action. I tried wiping the original grease off and putting silicon grease on it but it didn't make it much better.

Anyone have any suggestions?

What I don't want to do is to buy a expensive lube/grease to find out I just spent $15 and the piston is still hard to press and not smooth.

Am I the only one with this problem?

I have read the grease thread but it doesn't seem like to list a great grease that I can buy for relatively cheap or locally.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please use the search function, there has been an informative thread about that lately and there are even a few.

Zeruel's tribute thread for the D10 will also give you answers! :wave:

JeffSim

Newly Enlightened
Try removing the small o-ring on the piston tail cap and test whether it turns on and off smoothly. The main test would be the quick double-click to switch directly to minimum output mode. If it works smoothly without the o-ring, it means either the o-ring is slightly too big or it needs better lubing or both. Also, try changing the original o-ring with the supplied spare. I did that with my D10 SP Camo and it works better. I've even contacted NiteCore directly for more spare o-rings after telling them about this problem and their customer service instantly replied they would be sending out spare o-rings to me without any questions asked.

If the piston still gets stuck without the o-ring, then you would need to check the brass contact ring in the head. It may need to be removed (google youtube clip), cleaned and lightly lubed on the outer surface where it contacts the head. If that still doesn't solve the problem, remove the light engine and check the spring around the engine for any grinding and abrasiveness when it is compressed and released, that could be caused by burrs on the spring end - file them off gently and lube slightly.

Once you've understood the underlying causes of the problems and resolved them, you will gain a lot of satisfaction and confidence in your D10. I've even tuned both the springs to operate to my satisfaction. The one in the battery tube determines the downward pressure required and the one in the head is critical for the smooth release of the contact ring.

My Tribute and Camo D10's are now operating smoothly after learning alot from the other CPF members' threads and this post is a tribute :twothumbs to them and to this great forum.

Jeff

joepa150

Newly Enlightened
Try removing the small o-ring on the piston tail cap and test whether it turns on and off smoothly. The main test would be the quick double-click to switch directly to minimum output mode. If it works smoothly without the o-ring, it means either the o-ring is slightly too big or it needs better lubing or both. Also, try changing the original o-ring with the supplied spare. I did that with my D10 SP Camo and it works better. I've even contacted NiteCore directly for more spare o-rings after telling them about this problem and their customer service instantly replied they would be sending out spare o-rings to me without any questions asked.

If the piston still gets stuck without the o-ring, then you would need to check the brass contact ring in the head. It may need to be removed (google youtube clip), cleaned and lightly lubed on the outer surface where it contacts the head. If that still doesn't solve the problem, remove the light engine and check the spring around the engine for any grinding and abrasiveness when it is compressed and released, that could be caused by burrs on the spring end - file them off gently and lube slightly.

Once you've understood the underlying causes of the problems and resolved them, you will gain a lot of satisfaction and confidence in your D10. I've even tuned both the springs to operate to my satisfaction. The one in the battery tube determines the downward pressure required and the one in the head is critical for the smooth release of the contact ring.

My Tribute and Camo D10's are now operating smoothly after learning alot from the other CPF members' threads and this post is a tribute :twothumbs to them and to this great forum.

Jeff

Thanks for the great info. I will try you suggestions.

joepa150

Newly Enlightened
Change the o'ring to one with 1.4mm wire diameter and it should be fine.

Is the other oring smaller than the one that came on it?

I tried it without a oring and it was easier but made a clicking sound. I removed the original o ring (unfortunately I broke it) and replaced it with the other o ring. It works much better BUT I will wait and try it later. It seems like when it sits around it starts to stick for some reason even when I add more silicone lube or remove some silicon lube.

Latest posts