Imalent
Page 57 of 162 FirstFirst ... 74750515253545556575859606162636467107157 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,710 of 4836

Thread: What did you use your flashlight for today?

Default Re: What did you use your flashlight for today?

Haven't had a single peapickin' reason to use a light today. Probably read with H30 before sleeping.
    http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2640/usflaghalfmastmdwht.gif

PBJS

Quote Originally Posted by radioactive_man View Post
    I was driving on a two lane city road in the rightmost lane, when my GF saw a person lying partly on the grassy median strip, partly on the road. It turned out to be a drunk, who had fallen over in an attempt to cross the road. I pulled over, engaged the emergency strobe of my vehicle, left the vehicle after checking it was safe, and started running back towards the drunk. I pulled out my Quark 123^2 NW Tac, tightened the head (which is always set for max) and started alternately illuminating the drunk and flashing my light at the traffic, so the other driver's would see me and (hopefully) him. When I had crossed over to the median strip and reached him, he had gotten back on his feet and was trying to cross back to the sidewalk. I called out to him, but he just kept walking, so I followed him at a distance of a few meters and kept flashing my light at the traffic. When he reached the sidewalk, I asked him if he was ok and if he needed assistance, and this time I got a lot of unintelligible hissing and swearing and a "f*** off". I decided to use a blast from my 200 lumen light to cover an orderly but relatively hasty retreat back to my vehicle, although the subject seemed too drunk to move faster than at a very wobbly snail's pace. When I turned around after about 10 meters to determine if he was following me (which he wasn't) he was standing still, rubbing his eyes and swearing even louder. I moved the rest of the way back to my vehicle, and on the way I warned off another driver who was also on his way to render assistance to the drunk. I reentered my vehicle, locked the doors and moved off. The drunk was last seen moving away from the road and objectively speaking he was too drunk to hurt anyone but himself so I saw no reason to call the cops.

It's nice that I get to use my lights so much, but I could do with less excitement. I retired the RRT-0 I mentioned in earlier posts because of the god-awful tint, and the neutral-white TacQuark is definitely a worthy replacement.
    Sadly, a typical reaction when trying to help out a drunken excuse for humanity. Though I must admit, the last drunk I helped out so he wouldn't get run over was not nearly as ungrateful as the one you mentioned. He didn't say Thank You, but he didn't curse up a storm either. Would have used my lights to help him out, but he was drunk as Hell at 2pm.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

I managed to use my lights a fair bit through the christmas weekend. I tried to keep it minimal as we would be out with friends/family so i had my Zebralight SC51 in a jeans pocket, a Preon 2 neutral in another jeans pocket and my EO1 on my keys. My wife had her 1aa Quark Tactical in her handbag and we had a 2xaa quark tact in the door pocket of the car. As usual, my friends/family didn't pack a light at all or think it would be necessary

On the 23rd we went with some friends to look at christmas lights that people put on/around their houses. They're very popular down here and light displays can get quite elaborate. We piled into one car but first i had to take our child's car seat from our car and place in our friend's car. The Preon 2 came in very handy as there was no way i could see where the seatbelt latches were in the dark as the car's interior lights were useless. Once out and about, in certain streets when getting out of the car to walk to the displays i found the side-walks very dark and often uneven. Out popped my Preon 2 to light the way for everyone as we trudged up and down the streets looking at light displays. One of my friends said "why am i not surprised you have that on you!?" to which i replied "i don't fancy tripping over on the dark sidewalk"

On the 24th we visited the in-laws. They live on a rural block so the Preon 2 came in handy to light our way to and from their front door and afterwards when we arrived home late in the evening and needed to get to our front door carrying a very tired toddler.

On christmas day, we visited my folks for dinner. In the afternoon we needed to use my 12 volt air pump i keep in the car to pump up some of the kid's new inflatable toys. Afterwards i left the air pump out to cool down and after dark i went outside with my zebralight to pack it away in the car once it had cooled down. Later, my very elderly grandmother needed to be assisted outside to the car to be driven back home. The sc51 on max lit the way for her so she could easily see where she was going and then to light the car cabin so she could buckle up. I then used the light to help me open and close the property's driveway gates in the dark and then make my way back to the house. Later that evening when we left i used it for the same thing, but mostly to load up the car with my spoilt daughter's presents she received from her gandparents. Since i've been carrying lights and bought my parents some decent lights my parents are catching on. My mum came out to say goodbye, but with a cheap Santa incan flashlight she bought that did about 2-4 lumens. She's almost a flashaholic... she came prepared!

Good weekend and i was able to justify to my other half why i need to carry lights!

cheers
    Last edited by Samy; 12-26-2011 at 08:17 PM. Reason: spelling

I used FM 3P/18350 body and Nitrolon Bezel with P60L-WH and
    Nitrolon Tail with Oveready Zero Rez Shorty using AW IMR18500.
    It is a very strange pair. But it is a compact, useful brightness
    and good runtime.

Used my Fenix TK35 to light up an entire football field. A Security Officer heard a strange sound there, and tried to shed some light on it using a small Ledlenser torch. I got up next to him, and switched my TK35 set to turbo on.

It turned out to be a couple of hedgehogs who found a cozy way to stay warm on Christmas Day. And they were noisy about it, LOL.

BTW: Ledlenser has the most crappy website I saw in a long while, urgh... I couldn't select anything in there using Firefox. I tried to find the light used by that Security Officer. And I definitively don't like Internet Explorer.
    Everybody minds about their make-up, while they should be making their minds up.

My flashlight collection.

About 2 min ago I used my JetBeam PA10 with an IMR 14500 (super Overkill, I know) in it to look around in my Ent Center's Blu-ray collection. I picked out Star Wars Ep One, The Phantom Menace to watch. Thought I'd see what other CPF'ers were doing before starting the show!
    Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Have not needed a light so far today....

PBJS

Used my Petzl tikka 2 (again) to navigate my way back down a mountain today. Took my friend up Ben Venue here in miserable, wet, cold and snowey Scotland.

I just whipped my P2D out of my right front pocket to go out back and tend my fire. It died!

Fear not! My spare body with a fresh 123 was in my left front pocket!

PBJS

Flashaholic

I find your title name derrogatory to that beautiful flag.

Quote Originally Posted by spc smith View Post
    I find your title name derrogatory to that beautiful flag.
    He's a well respected Regular who has been here far longer than you. That type of comment, if it must be made at all, is best reserved for the PM system. Let's not derail the topic itself in that direction.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom

He's a well respected Regular who has been here far longer than you. That type of comment, if it must be made at all, is best reserved for the PM system. Let's not derail the topic itself in that direction.
    Very much agree. Really don't care if someone's offended by a name. I care about what folk are using their lights to do.

Used my Surefire E1E to find some gear in my closet.

I used my Jetbeam BC10 to walk my dogs this morning while it was still dark out.

Used Maratac AAA as headlamp to prepare and eat lunch.
    EDC: Zebralight H52w; Backup/loaner: Olight i3S
    Zebralight Mods: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=293092
    The only useful tool is the one you have with you when you need it.

I used my Preon 2 to find some of my old toys in the attic at my parents house for the kids of one of my friends that came by.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam - Cato the Elder

Hadn't needed light yet today. But I am going to go take one more look at my fire. And my P2D will keep me from stepping on something like dog poop.

PBJS

Enlightened

I live on the 2nd floor of a building and could barely make out someone below, in the dark, waving at me while I was standing and having a smoke on the patio, shone my 47s Quark 123-2 X Turbo at the figure, turns out to be my friend trying to show me a new computer chair he'd just bought.

Hadn't needed light yet today. But I am going to go take one more look at my fire. And my P2D will keep me from stepping on something like dog poop.

PBJS

I saw a movie today and the theater's houselights and light strips were not engaged after the credit roll finished, so it was completely dark inside. I was able to light that place right up and get a few laughs in the process.

The fire was smoldering pretty good.

Gonna read a bit with H30. Goodnight!

PBJS

Used my Haiku to help look for a part that popped off one of our fillers at work and disappeared. No one could find it, so they had to have a machine shop quick spin one up so they could start the line back up. Fortunately it was a simple part to machine and they were only down a couple hours.
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review Malkoff MDC Review MY LIGHTS McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It, DoNotDelete It.

Tonight I used my Photon Microlight II on my keychain to walk to the car after a family party. The car was parked on a muddy road and I wanted to avoid the mud pools. Bright enough that I didn't have to get out my EDC.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam - Cato the Elder

Crime scene...self inflicted gunshot to the head. Used my Jetbeam BC40 to light up the area while EMS scooped and ran. Used it to look for shell casing (found). The detectives had their Streamlight SL20Xs, looked yellow and feeble.
    And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I! Send me."
    Isaiah 6:1-8

Though it's not really a flashlight, but I used my newest spotlight tonight to light up the sky in my backyard. I was testing out a new 130 Watt halogen H4 bulb that I bought for it and just installed tonight. Unfortunately, it's a rather foggy night here so I'll have to do some real testing later this weekend.

I'm curious if it will out-throw my HID spotlight.

Unenlightened

Naughty Re: What did you use your flashlight for today?

reading in the quilt.:nana:

Foggy night so i tested out the beam profile of my M20x. Not bad.

[Inappropriate post - content removed - DM51]
    Last edited by DM51; 12-30-2011 at 06:33 AM.

Sounds....wonderful 0_o

Used my Quark 123^2 Tac NW to light up a dark car trunk for a friend while he loaded it with beer for New Years Eve.
    Fenix LD01 (XP-E R2), Fenix LD20 (XR-E Q5), Olight M20S (XP-G R5), Jetbeam RRT-0 (XP-G R5), Maelstrom G5 (XP-G R5), Maelstrom X7 (XM-L T6), Wolf-Eyes Krait (XM-L T6), Mag 4D/6D (incan), Mini Mag 2AA (incan), Photon Proton Pro UV, Mammut Lucido TXlite

Flashaholic

shift change perimeter patrol with Olight M20X. I LIKE MY LIGHT*

Page 57 of 162 FirstFirst ... 74750515253545556575859606162636467107157 ... LastLast