Foxfury Rook
Page 63 of 147 FirstFirst ... 135356575859606162636465666768697073113 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,890 of 4393

Thread: What did you use your flashlight for today?

Default Re: What did you use your flashlight for today?

Hauling water today, just used my V10R to see the water level in the cistern. One more load and I am done.

In God we trust
    For everyone else we have Smith & Wesson

Streamlight Clipmate

Used to check on burgers I was grilling. Turned out perfect.

Just getting ready to go check livestock with my Derrelight, we will be shooting a night combat shoot tomorrow night, I can't wait!! I am getting ready to check batteries and pack spares. I am worse than a kid with Christmas toys wanting tomorrow to get here. I plan on using my Olight M20 for handgun events and the Derrelight for carbine and shotgun.

Used my Fenix LD20 today as a lantern, lights up small rooms perfectly at aroun 100+ lumens ;-)

my mule to find a pair of black pants
    My lightsWTB: Surefire: New/Used/Rare. Currently looking for everything Crosshairs + D2. Interesting trades available.Everybody, just send your lights directly to James - he'll end up with them anyhow, lol. -Kestrel

Nothing so far today, but I used the heck out of my Quark 123 last night at my buddies property!
    http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2640/usflaghalfmastmdwht.gif

PBJS

Sunday PM shot night combat match with my TN11 loaned another shooter my Olight M20, nothing there would compare with the TN11, many comments on it.
    Mon PM checked livestock with Derrelights ASP and XML worked great. One thing I have noticed about the ASP lens is that the darker it gets the better it seems to work, the XML can be seen better in the low light than the ASP lens.

Helped out a few neighbors having issues with cockroaches. Despite light being present, my Lowes Task Force 2C LED model came in handy spotting the little disgusting creatures, and their hiding spots. The giant can of Raid took care of the rest. Maybe I should have gone into the extermination business. I'm a little too good at killing cockroaches.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Used my Fenix HL21 headlamp to check out my bicycle.

Thing started to make cracking sounds last week, and yesterday I had to walk the last few roads home. It turned out that I'll have to completely replace the back wheel as the hub completely disintegrated on me...
    My spare bicycle was already in repair and will be ready tomorrow evening, so I'm a walking man today. Luckily the weather is fine now, lightly freezing with a lot of sun, so I'll just enjoy the walk.

I guess I won't be buying a new flashlight this month...
    Ah well, I have 30+ lights already, so I think I'll survive that.
    Everybody minds about their make-up, while they should be making their minds up.

My flashlight collection.

Flashaholic

Just used quark x aa tactical on low mode to illuminate an extremely dirt clogged intel cpu fan to clean it up. Was so dirty fan would not move.....

sent from my mob. Excuse misspelling. thanks!

Been at disneyworld last 4 days...so used my quark x aa a lot. In the hotel room, walking around darker areas of the parks, outside the hotel grounds, etc.
    Loved having a flash on me 24/7, and am now definitely hooked on lights!
    both my kids brought their new lights too...made me proud!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Helped out a few neighbors having issues with cockroaches. Despite light being present, my Lowes Task Force 2C LED model came in handy spotting the little disgusting creatures, and their hiding spots. The giant can of Raid took care of the rest. Maybe I should have gone into the extermination business. I'm a little too good at killing cockroaches.
    That's the next big thing.
    A flashlight/bug spray combo.
    The insectilight.

Quote Originally Posted by Imon View Post
    That's the next big thing.
    A flashlight/bug spray combo.
    The insectilight.
    The insectifrier, combo flashlight and bug zapper, like a mini tazer for cockroaches.

In God we trust

I did not use it for a darn thing! I just played with my Derrelights!!!!!!!!!!

I used my two Fenix E21's (neutral & cool white) and LD25 to see which tint I like best in snowy conditions.

It turned out to be the LD25's tint. Cool white just doesn't look right in snowy terrain, neutral is a lot easier on the eyes.

While testing, I also got some serious grief from a white trash guy who passed me by. He got so personal on me, I just left and continued the test someplace else.
    Arguing with people like that is impossible: Once you reply, they immediately begin threatening you (or even start beating you up), by lack of intelligence to reply in a normal way... I hate this kind of 'people'.

Quote Originally Posted by varmint View Post
    I did not use it for a darn thing! I just played with my Derrelights!!!!!!!!!!
    I don't even consider this as usage since I play with my lights all the time.
    Everybody minds about their make-up, while they should be making their minds up.

Used my Fenix E05 to look for a tail cap that rolled away from me when switching batteries on my Fenix LD10. The gift set just proved it's value.

Quote Originally Posted by cummins4x4 View Post
    The insectifrier, combo flashlight and bug zapper, like a mini tazer for cockroaches.
    Cockroaches are like brainless mobs . . . Best to hose down a wide area instead of picking them off one by one.

(And since I know that there will be someone who will horribly misunderstand the above, I mean with temporary spray. Not bullets.)
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Enlightened

Supper last night was cold Klick sandwiches because one leg of the 120/240 supply had gone out. Even a semi-outage warrants flashlight use, so I checked the panel (118 volts on one side, only 24 volts on the other...never thought to check side-to-side to see if it was 94 V or 142 instead of 240, darn it...) with my trusty headlamp, then stepped outside to check the service mast to see if one of the wires had fallen off. It hadn't, so we phoned Hydro (electrical utility); we were told they knew about it and several customers were affected.

Luckily, most of the lights in the house were on the leg that still worked (bedroom lights only gave a dull glow, but kitchen, living room and half the basement lights were OK). No Internet! The ISDN was plugged into a dead outlet. Upstairs phones don't work because they need AC, but I've got one hard-wired phone plugged in the basement so it was fine. No oven or cooktop, and even the microwave happened to be on the dead leg. Kitchen fridge was OK, freezer downstairs was also on the dead leg. No furnace...luckily, only -10 celsius, we're having an unnaturally warm January this year.

Also luckily, the TV was on the branch that worked, and I brought in a cord to run the exercise bike off a working outlet. I dug out the 3 D MagLED from the kitchen and left it on the table for possible loaning to neighbors. I cautioned my wife that we would likely have all the power off for a while if Hydro had to change out the transformer, which they did. At 9:20 PM, the rest of the lights went out and I went to the back yard to check out the show. We finished our evening snack by the light of the headlamp. I'd passed on my little Ti CA1 to my wife, who clipped it to her blouse in case of need (hers was in her purse on her key ring).

I used the TK70 to spotlight the transformer for my wife...she said she's seen it for years on a pole in the neighbor's back yard, but didn't realize what it was doing for the neighborhood. I later stuck the TK 70 in a couch cushion and bounced light off the living room ceiling.

Hydro had about 5 or 6 trucks including a boom truck...unfortunately they couldn't get the boom truck into the neighbor's back yard (no back lane), so they had to change the transformer "old school". Two linemen climbed the pole and winched down the dead TX, then winched up the new one. The whole Hydro crew had good LED headlamps, as well as flood lights from the trucks.
    After watching from outdoors for a bit, we returned to the house and watched through the kitchen windows. My hands were getting cold just holding the camera for a few minutes. Those linemen were *mostly* working with gloves, but I noticed some bare-handed operations were still needed. Thankfully, there was no wind and the weather was abnormally mild.

At 10:55 PM we were sitting in the living room under the TK 70 bounce light when the lights returned. Yay Hydro! Less than 2 hours in the 19th century!

Flashlight related lessons:
    - Headlamps are massively useful if you're doing something in the dark (fetching ladders out of garages, looking at rooftop masts, etc)
    - The facemelter never got used at full power (except briefly when I was pointing out the TX to the better half)
    - Bouncing even 300 lumens off the ceiling was plenty of light for a living room.
    - I might have to get a lantern.
    - It's good to have tiny lights that can be carried around without too much bulk.
    - If Eddy the neighbor had asked, I would have cheerfully loaned him the 3D MagLED.
    - Even though I hadn't charged the headlamp for a couple of weeks, there was still lots of light left in the Eneloops.
    - Now I can say "Remember that time the power went out and we needed all those flashlights?"

Other lessons:
    - The house cools off rapidly; we went from 68 F down to 64 F in a couple of hours without the furnace.
    - Even half the regular power supply is a whole lot better than no power at all.

Bill
    (If you have electricity right now, thank a lineman!)

Sounds like you had things under control, Kitchen Panda. Nothing like a power failure to make you appreciate your lights, and that we are no longer in the 19th century.

No light use today. Last night I used my new Preon P0 to read in bed. Not bad, but I think I like the Photon Rex better for this job.

Geoff

Sorry. Double post.
    Last edited by Flying Turtle; 02-01-2012 at 10:42 AM.

On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place where the bad drivers are.

Well, I left my Xeno e03 on low last night because I'm afraid of the dark. That and to test the runtime of a standard eneloop, which i get about 21 hours out of.

At work a colleague mentioned that he just installed a flashlight app on his android phone, saying he now has a flashlight that he can use to make phone calls with. I then said I prefer to use a "regular" flashlight. He then said it was of course not comparable to a Maglite. In turn I told him Maglite isn't the best and brightest light on the market any longer. So he asked me which brands are and I mentioned a select few of my favorites like Fenix, Foursevens, Surefire, HDS (but not all, didn't want to look too geeky ). I then showed my LD10 I was carrying today and told him it was brighter than most Maglite lights I've seen. He seemed to be interested enough to google Fenix lights
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam - Cato the Elder

Had to install a new battery in my John Deere riding mower. We've had a little rain after a brutally dry and hot summer and the weeds are all out in force, 80 degrees today. Wouldn't you know I'd drop the dang bolt from the battery down into the dark depths of the mower's engine area! Titanium Innovations IlluminaTi to the rescue! It's running on a 10440 (I know I know!) so med level was plenty bright to find the culprit and fish it out. Good thing to have bright light on a keychain, always there when you need it!

The light in an elevator went out today. Fortunately the elevator still worked. I whipped out one of my 3 small EDC flashlights and pushed the button. Good to go!

As an addition to my story about that white trash man I met the other day:

We met again today, in the center of town.
    Once he spotted me he ran straight to me and started yelling and threatening me once again... Luckily for me (but not for him) two cops were patrolling the street just behind him. It took them a few seconds to reach us, and ask what was going on.
    That white trash guy immediately claimed I sent those cops after him and started to get physical on me...

Well, to cut a long story short: He got arrested, and I spent an hour at the station filing charges against him. He was 'famous' at that station for being almost insanely aggressive without any intelligence to keep that aggression in check.

I don't say this often, but I sure hope they stack him away somewhere secure, just to make this town a bit safer...

Ontopic:
    Used my Fenix TK35, TK45 and TK41 in direct comparison in a friends backyard so he could decide which light he wanted to order. He chose the TK41.
    Using those three lights simultaneously got a lot of curious neighbors to come out in the cold to see what all that light was all about. I saw some seriously amazed people there, a lot of those neighbors never saw high powered LED flashlights before.

As an addition to this: I got a new appreciation for flashlights with plastic bodies today in the freezing cold. Handling big metal bodies bare handed in icy conditions isn't cool. (Pun intended)
    Last edited by Richub; 02-01-2012 at 10:37 PM.

A few of us were standing around in town bs'ing. One of the guys asked about my licence plate. So I lit it up with my V10R.

BTW the plate reads.....SW44MAG

In God we trust

Enlightened

345am yesterday responded to a car wreck, streamlight survivor led is pretty good to me, 845pm responded to a housefire went in there, got out, used light to find cell phone, lights happily charging after not being used for a few months

Flashaholic*

Neutral XM-L Xeno E03 - to determine which socks match my pants, and read the engraving on my allen wrenches to differentiate 1.5mm, 2mm, and 1/8".
    And to walk the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Richub View Post
    [....] Well, to cut a long story short: He got arrested, and I spent an hour at the station filing charges against him. He was 'famous' at that station for being almost insanely aggressive without any intelligence to keep that aggression in check.

I don't say this often, but I sure hope they stack him away somewhere secure, just to make this town a bit safer...

[...]
    Lucky for you the police was there too. It's just crazy how derailed some people can get. Nice to hear you were helping your friend to pick a very good light.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam - Cato the Elder

Flashaholic

Woke up, fell out of bed, dragged a comb across my head- made my way down stairs and drank (tried too) a cup, some one spoke and i went into a dream!!! MY POWER WAS OUT!!! No coffee for you lol. Yep. got up about 3am and did not realize the power was out (since i don't use house lights) till i went 2 make a pot of coffee. less than a hr them guys/gals had the dad-gum power up. Very sad. these people are just 2 good. A poor guy wants 2 have a couple hr PO and no, they won't even let a guy have a little fun. Maybe i will call and bitch that they (power company) are 2 dang efficient. Bet they never heard that complaint. Oh well, there is always another night.

Keith, who just wanted 2 have a little fun in the dark

Page 63 of 147 FirstFirst ... 135356575859606162636465666768697073113 ... LastLast