HDS Systems
Page 68 of 129 FirstFirst ... 185861626364656667686970717273747578118 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,040 of 3853

Thread: What did you use your flashlight for today?

Default Re: What did you use your flashlight for today?

Used my L0D to check the input voltage of a laptop I got for free.
    Looks like a bad cooling fan on the laptop, which means I need to spend 50 to fix it (no hdd in it.)

Used my XT-11 to wake a drunk and send him on his way.
    In god we trust.........all others are suspects
    There are no problems in life that can not be solved with high explosives or small arms
    Too many new lights to list

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by madecov View Post
    Used my XT-11 to wake a drunk and send him on his way.
    LOL!
    Resistance is futile...

Yesterday at another friends house, I had to use the bathroom. While on my way he wanted to warn me the bulb had blown:
    "Hey, there is no light in th... Ah, never mind."
    Another use for my trusty E05.

I'm getting known as an 'enlightened person' among my friends.

At work, a colleague had to search for something in the (only dimly lit) archive room, she used my LD01 to help her see what she was looking for.

And my Fenix TK41 was used to win a bet.
    Somebody claimed he had the brightest flashlight ever, a Maglite 4D with a LED. I told him there are a lot more powerful flashlights out there.
    He was like "Nonsense! Not possible!" My reply was: "Wanna bet?"
    His friend told him not to accept, but he did.

He turned on his Maglite, and I turned on my TK41 on medium. "See? This baby destroys your light!" I then switched to high, at which point both lights were almost equal. He started to look sideways at me: "How the [bleep] did you do that?" I told him this light has 4 brightness levels, and switched to turbo, thus destroying his light.
    He was 'not amused' and grunted at his friend: "You knew this, right? Why didn't you warn me?" That friend simply said: "I did..."
    After that, we all just laughed.
    Everybody minds about their make-up, while they should be making their minds up.

My flashlight collection.

Today I had to search in my parents' garage for the bench of my old dog, since we got a new one today. I used my Fenix E05 to light up the darker corners in the garage. After dark we let the puppy outside in the garden. I used my Olight T20 to keep an eye on him, since we do not have lights in our garden.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam - Cato the Elder

Last night, I stopped by one of the better Pizza places near me to get some dinner for a loved one and I.

Walked out with a large pie, and two meatball calzones with pizza sauce. When I paid for the items, something seemed wrong. The clerk whom I usually deal with seemed a bit odd. Decided to check my order over by my car before driving off. Used my Peak Eiger S.S. single-AAA keychain light. One setting, only about 13 lumens. But more than enough on the nearly pitch black side-street I had parked on. Checked the calzones. They remembered the sliced meatballs, but forgot the pizza sauce.

Oh well, I have pasta sauce at home; and didn't feel like bringing it up. (If you own a diner or any type of eatery, and I come to you to complain about something; then there has been a monumental screw-up that you need to be aware of immediately.)

The Peak did an excellent job of giving me a peek inside, before I drove off.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

used Preon two to look down into ducati gas tank to check fuel level

Quote Originally Posted by jslappa View Post
    Thanks to Roger999, I'll be using my McGizmo Al Mule to look under the toilet seat before sitting down for "#2" tonight. Brings back horrible nightmares I had as a kid after mom let me watch Kingdom of the Spiders, with William Shatner. At the end of the movie, the whole dang town is wrapped in a freaking cocoon!

Nice going Roger!
    I just walked around my house to check for spiders... with my newly attained Quark 123 2

Quote Originally Posted by lovenhim View Post
    My aunt who is a truck driver was showing me her new flashlight. She thinks it is bright and she uses it to help back up the big rig and for other things. She bought it at an autoparts store. It is an LED keychain light two of them for $5. She saw my little tiny 4Sevens Preon 2 in my pocket and was joking me about my little, tiny, cute flashlight. She challenged me to a flashlight duel. Well, what was I to do? After all I could not miss this chance to have some fun. We go outside in the darkness and she says well lets see what your little pen light can do, so I turn it on LOW. By this time she is picking on me in a fun way and turns on her light and starts to gloat, she is having fun. So now I turn the Preon up a notch, which of course puts her light to shame, so that shut her up. Well just like Mythbusters I could not stop there, so I go for HI, and that un-shut her up. What she said I am not going to type here. Needless to say I had fun with that little, tiny, wimpy Preon two.
    Great story!

I literally just died!

Enlightened

Quark 123^2 on medium to look on the inside of a dvd player to see why the tray was not wanting to eject.

A little bit of background, I run cargo for airlines, the freight that goes onto airplane usually are put on aluminum pallets which get loaded on pallet dollies which we take to the airplane.

I was ready to take a shipment to go on a flight to Istanbul when I noticed that I couldn't release the brakes on the dolly and took out my Fenix LD10 to inspect the bottom of the dolly. I found out a rod that ran from the brake release mechanism to the brakes had bent and was preventing the brakes from releasing. We ended up taking that cargo pallet off and putting it on another dolly.

Stopped to help a couple of guys change a wheel on their van on my way home last night. Before I stopped, they were using the light of their phones I was well equipped - Malkoff 3D Mag clipped in the trunk (emergencies), Bitz Pocket Titanium clipped to my pocket (EDC) and a Fenix TK11 with a white wand attachment in the toolbox (work light). I went with the Malkoff mag and gave one of them the Bitz. They were well impressed
    Malkoff P7 3D Mag | Fenix L0D & TK11 | Bitz Alu & Ti | RA Twisty 85-Tr & Clicky Ti [<Avatar<] | Dereelight DBS V1 & DBS V3 | Nitecore: NEX GDP, SR3, EX10 GDP, D20 R2, D10 R2 | Olight M20 Warrior | SF C2 HA & T1A | Liteflux 2XT

My 3300L got a workout last night when after some misadventures while geocaching I found myself faced with a 5Km walk to get back to my car... At sunset!

Needless to say, without it I'd have had to call the missus to come and collect me, and she wouldn't have been happy.

I guess it really did save my life last night!

Flashaholic

Looking for change under the bed. Buying these lights is killing me...
    Deus Vult

Sigh Re: What did you use your flashlight for today?

^ LOL! Used my preon 2 to check and change the dive belt on my car the other night. Also used it to bleed the clutch. Every time I use it I love it more, and every time I need it and don't have it I miss it

I used my Fenix LD25 today for a few things. Mainly I used it to peak into burrows along the creek I was hiking in. But at one point I was using it to keep an eye on the gator under water that was keeping an eye on me... I was hiking through an old lake bed that had turned into a dry savanna with standing pools of water here and there. I was walking past one of these pools when heard something go into the water on the other side. It was a four foot gator that had noticed me walking past. It swam up to me while I was on the bank and watched me from under the water. I couldn't see it through the water, so I used the light to help get past the glare. It was only a couple feet away at that point and it looked like it wasn't going away. I didn't really have anything to fend it off with or anything to really help myself with if I got injured. So I decided to find someplace else to relax.
    Also, I used to it to check the bevel of my pocket knife while I was sharpening. Still not flat
    "Maybe you should just stick to fire on a stick... it's received excellent reviews here - plus it's a time tested design..."

Unenlightened

Just used my Zebralight SC51 in the basement while I was cleaning out some boxes. The light in the basement doesn't quite reach into the corners well enough to let me see what's in the boxes. It did help me find my old E2E.

Used my L10R to light up under the kitchen sink to pull everything out and sort it. Didn't find any gators under there

In God we trust
    For everyone else we have Smith & Wesson

Last night I used my Jetbeam PA40 to thoroughly impress my girlfriend's family. Her father had a Maglight 3C (I think) LED. We tested them out in their very dark orchard. The Maglight, when focused, could throw farther, but there was no comparison between overall light output and useful spill. When the Maglight was unfocused for a flood beam, it had horrible doughnut holes. Actually, more like a black hole where the hotspot should be. Mine won, but in hindsight, maybe I should have left it on high or medium...

Last night, the electricity went off suddenly, so we turn on theflashlight to chat with each other.I feel wonderful, because we have not really talk for a long time. If only the electrricity wouldn't go off, we should do our own thing respectively. Watching TV or Play computer games.

Sat night went hog hunting in the bottomland south of town. I had 2 lights, my Derrelights V2 & V3 asperical both with 2x18500's. They worked perfect and never dimmed. The river bottoms at night with a handgun and light is interesting.

Used my light to find 3 screws from a laptop I was working on that rolled under my desk onto the multicolor carpet. To the naked eye its impossible to find screws that drop on this floor unless you lay a light down and scan for something that shines.

Quote Originally Posted by varmint View Post
    Sat night went hog hunting in the bottomland south of town. I had 2 lights, my Derrelights V2 & V3 asperical both with 2x18500's. They worked perfect and never dimmed. The river bottoms at night with a handgun and light is interesting.
    It would be better with dynamite but one must make do with what is available.
    Last edited by scottyhazzard; 03-26-2012 at 03:33 PM. Reason: I can't spell so good
    I'm a Lumenaut, on a bold quest of discovery. To find the smallest, toughest, eyeball searing-est torch that modern science can create!

Used my Quark AA tactical with 14500 to charge the GID switch cover on my Eagle-Tac T20C2

That was it for today
    In god we trust.........all others are suspects
    There are no problems in life that can not be solved with high explosives or small arms
    Too many new lights to list

Fenix TK45
    Used standing on its tail inside a pavillion. It reflected so much light off the white ceiling, I had visibility a good 20-30 feet around the pavillion, where I was throwing sticks for my dog.

I've been using my Fenix TK41/TK45 as a shower/batroom light for the last weeks.

Somehow every CFL I buy seems to fry itself within a week in my bathroom (Humidity problems is my best guess, although many others use them for years in their bathrooms), and normal bulbs are no longer available here in Europe.
    So my trusty Fenix lights provide the light I need while showering or bathroom breaks.

My tiny E05 has it's own daily uses:
    - Light up a dark shack or cellar for myself, friends or neighbors.
    - Helping a neighbor/stranger find a dropped key, or dropped coins in the dark.
    - Light up the inside of a PC for upgrades/maintenance.
    - Emergency bathroom light if a bulb blew in there.
    - Light up a menu card in a dimly lit restaurant so I can read what they offer.

And my TK41/TK35 are used to impress people with how bright LED flashlights have gotten these last few years. The TK15 is showed quite often as a possible upgrade for old Maglite incan flashlights.
    So far I got quite a lot people to get a new flashlight, or upgrade their old dim incan flashlights.
    (Any similarities to a religion here are totally accidental.)

A friend of mine complained about his boss:
    That boss has put 5 minute timers on the lights in the toilets in his office building. The light goes on as you open the door and shuts off after 5 minutes. He also removed the switches inside the toilets. If you're not done within five minutes, you'll be left in the dark there.
    I simply suggested him to get a decent keychain light, so he can finish his bathroom business without rushing things. It turned out that he and his colleagues ordered a box of Fenix E01's so everybody there has an emergency toilet light now.
    Last edited by Richub; 03-28-2012 at 01:44 AM.
    Everybody minds about their make-up, while they should be making their minds up.

My flashlight collection.

Wow! His boss is a jerk. Also, not 100% sure, but what he's doing might be illegal.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by Richub View Post
    (...)
    Somehow every CFL I buy seems to fry itself within a week in my bathroom (...)
    CFL's hate being frequently switched on and off (as well as regular fluorescents) even manufacturers admit that. For that reason I quit using them in the bathroom, using my stock of incans while it lasts (Europe, too) will switch to IP-rated halogen in the future... Sorry for OT.

Ahh, yes... Used my Solarforce L2 XR-E to light up a small hedgehog in front of my appartment building last evening.

Cheers,

Tam

Unenlightened

To light my path to the mailbox last evening.

It got unexpectedly cold last night, so I used my V10R on minimum to sneak into my son's room and turn on his heater without waking him up.

Page 68 of 129 FirstFirst ... 185861626364656667686970717273747578118 ... LastLast