Klarus
Page 211 of 223 FirstFirst ... 111161201204205206207208209210211212213214215216217218221 ... LastLast
Results 6,301 to 6,330 of 6665

Thread: What did you use your flashlight for today?

Default Re: What did you use your flashlight for today?

I was playing Pokemon Go at a park at night. There was one path that had no lighting connecting two well lit paths, including one area where people were hanging out at a very nice game location.
    So I was walking along back out when I saw a family with younger kids all playing together. The kids wanted to go over to the other area on the other side of the dark path, but the mother was concerned about the dark path.
    I ended up using my 2AA Maglite Pro to light the path and had a nice chat with them. The kids were super excited! The parents thanked me and went herding the young ones.

Stories like that make my day.

Good going Shadow-dude.
    John 3:16

See 'the Bykshop' and PRX threads in the Dealer section for PKDL products

Used 3 lights today in work for various tasks. Started using my T10s a little more, has to be on high mode though and fed on a loop! . Swapped the 14500 over for now as the high on 4.2v fuel is too high! medium i could get away with though ............digressing
    Used the Xtar tz20 to spot through perspex and watch flights go around to trace a noise, several flights were bent and required fixing. Close up work(removing, straightening etc) the L2T housing a p60vnT nichia 219C came in, flooded the area and aided me finding a very small counter sunk screw!!!

Last edited by ven; 07-20-2016 at 12:35 PM.

Last night had a storm roll in causing the power to flicker quite a few times. While I was in the bathroom the power went out. I thought to myself "this is just great...I already took my HDS of my belt and my Thrunite Ti Titanum out of my pocket!" Then I remembered my Spy hanging around my neck. Power came back on, but I used the Spy to navigate my way to and from our 3 seasons room watching the storm so I didn't have to turn any lights on.
    You Can't Fix STUPID!

Just used my H600w (Mk I) to completely tear apart my laptop, which has been running hot lately. Got it all apart, cleaned out any dust bunnies I could find (especially the ones blocking the CPU radiator) and figured meh... while I'm in here, might as well re-thermal paste the CPU and GPU heat sinks. I even managed to put it back together without any left over parts - not even one screw!

And... worked like a charm! Idle temperatures now about 15oC cooler, and about 20+ degrees cooler under heavy load. Not to mention the fan isn't screaming for mercy any more either.

Great stuff, can't beat a job that goes to plan! Not even one screw??? Come on

One of the most important tasks any handheld flashlight will ever have: avoiding decomposing dog doo on the ground, after dark.

I didn't use my flashlight, per say, but rather knowledge that I have picked up in this forum. I was on a job to install our IPDSL service for a custome when he noticed the knife on my hip that started the converstion. He apparently has an affinity for CASE knives, and quite the collection. An impressive collection I may say. Well that led to talking about fixed balde knives. I mentioned a 1964 Puma White Hunter that I have from my Grandfather, and he got giddy! He has a newer model of that knife, and has used it to skin many deeer.

The conversation led from knives to flashlights after that. I presented the HDS and 2 Malkoff lights that I had on me...He then mentioned that he had a flashlight that he had received from his father's estate that he cherished. I asked if I may see it, thinking that he may so "No", as it is a cherished posession from his father. To my surprise he said "Sure! Here it is!"...Althoug it's dead. It hasn't worked since I got it. "May I take a look at it?". He exclaimed as he handed it to me that it is a Leupold model that is apparently no longer produced, and I have tried to find a way to make it work again, but cannot find out anything about it.

Well, that rang a big bell in my head. I had just read This Thread about P60 Hosts. It happened to be a Leupold MX Series w/MX 100 bezel. I knew that I had seen it somewhere! Mind you, this light felt very impressive in hand. The switch was a bit abrupt, but I knew it was quality in a moment.

I had to finish installing his service to give him any further info, because I had zero cell service to bring it up on my phone. As soon as I had his servie up and running I said "and here it is!". Showing him that it is actulaly capable of receiving a P60 host of his choice. I explained what that means, and listed several sights where he may get them. I, of course, told him to go to candlepowerforums.com and enter "P60 Drop in" in the search bar before doing anything further. He can learn there, a great deal about bringin his father's light back to life.

P.S. He is rather handy, and has already proven that the switch has continuity. He is convinced that it is the bulb that is bad. "Well, Sir, you now have a means to revive your inherited, and cherished flashlight". He said "Thakn You Sir!", and shaked my hand rather vigorously. It was a good day for a flashaholic!
    Tex.Proud

So what light is that at the end of the tunnel?

That story made my day. I have an original puma with a stag handle I'll have to get it out and post a pic. Thanks for sharing Tex.

Quote Originally Posted by Offgridled View Post
    That story made my day. I have an original puma with a stag handle I'll have to get it out and post a pic. Thanks for sharing Tex.
    If you do, so will I. Old tattered leather sheath and all.

Please do!
    Tex.Proud

Quote Originally Posted by tex.proud View Post
    If you do, so will I. Old tattered leather sheath and all.

Please do!
    A friend of mine made a new custom leather sheath for it but Lucky for me the knife is still in perfect shape. I love the blade on the old pumas.

Great story Tex

I used one to light the ends of what would become its lanyard, as I tied said ends. Tying two ends of 95lb paracord sheath together is not easy, since it doesn't really want to flex, both ends are the same color, and that color is dark. Some extra off-axis light from the flashlight itself helped a bunch. Now I just need an accommodating holster.

Typical use while providing residential internet service. Light the cabinet you're working in.

You can even tell the difference between blue and green in the pic with the Nichia 219b.
    Tex.Proud

Love the nichia 219b. Good times!!

Great stuff Tex ,~200lm of nichia goodness is more than enough for most tasks/uses as really its for more closer up stuff anyway.

Used my mule as always to do some maintenance, a little tint course i ran too on a fellow work colleague. Laughing and not knowing, i showed him an Xtar cool white, then a nichia 219B triple, straight away he understood about tints as before this a torch is a torch!. Not converted yet, but in time i am sure he will look at the slightly warmer tint way of illumination and away from washed out cold. xml u2(which tbh is not actually too bad of a cool tint compared to others!) By that i mean i could actually use it in work other than being a little too throwy/concentrated hot spot.

Not your typical use of a flashlight scenario.

At work the topic of 'gun free zone signs' came up. The new company policy is to post signs that say "gun and dangerous object free facility", which we joked 'the sitting duck policy'.

One guy says "what's a dangerous object?".... I quipped "inkpens, staplers and flashlights."... "Flashlights?" was asked.
    I was on a roadside project where those orange barrels in various places. One had a half full bottle of water sitting on top.

Pulling out my PK PR-1 and going into David vs Goliath mode, I hurled it at the water bottle about 20' away "POW!!!"
    An OP says "yep, flashlights are dangerous objects." lol.

Shortly after the conversation turned to those awesome flashlights as seen on tv. Doh!!!

so it was wasted , throwing the PK and all for nothing as the x800 has marketing *beep* behind it that lots believe...............

Crazy really, to think this year a rip off merchant(clever granted) bought a load of chinese junk for $3 a piece, added some engraving, crazy % mark up and probably sold more than HDS and malkoff together this year..................i bet 50% of the buyers are happy too ,not knowing anything different unless found out via the tube

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    so it was wasted , throwing the PK and all for nothing as the x800 has marketing *beep* behind it that lots believe...............

Crazy really, to think this year a rip off merchant(clever granted) bought a load of chinese junk for $3 a piece, added some engraving, crazy % mark up and probably sold more than HDS and malkoff together this year..................i bet 50% of the buyers are happy too ,not knowing anything different unless found out via the tube

And most of us remember who he was. Thankfully, my wallet didn't get lighter back then. (Well, not due to him anyway. )
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Guess I shoulda been more detailed about the conversation about the tv light. I was surrounded by burely construction workers who when they aren't putting giant pipe way down in the ground, building bridges or making moutains into mole hills, they play just as hard.
    Serious bear hunters, mountain climbers, drag racers, or other generally burley off hours adventures...

Needless to say they were making fun of those lights seen on tv. But up until this morning they'd never seen a flashlight like the PR-1. So their gut reaction was that I had one from those tv comercials.
    None knew who PK is but all knew the name SureFire. So when I told them who PK is the conversation changed back to work.
    Fact is the Inspector (me) is not supposed to have something as bad@$$ as them, much less even more bad@$$... I have the job just below Engineer.
    These guys think engineers are only good for driving trains and inspectors say 'I don't know how to do your job but my book says you're doing it wrong.'... and most folks I run into do not know I used to do their job, but my job pays better. lol.

I need to meet up with mr fixer for an evening of classic and modern flashlight fun, talking lights and all stuff that illuminates, be it bic lighter to vinh beasts................that would be a great evening for me. The fixer museum of illumination ................. tbh 40 days and 40 nights would not cover it all .............more of the latter of course!

Luming up my watch while I keep my sick wife company on the porch

Is she ok? Short sickness?

bill

Hope for a speedy recovery!

Played with drivervn3 for a bit last night on the princeCvn, pretty amazing really and in depth yet user friendly. Set the turbo timer with a quick 10 presses to activate the modes, then 12 presses to activate turbo mode. Then let it run till it got toasty, switched off and job done. Even had a go at changing the driver temp in F. Really cool these days what tec has moved to drivers, not that long ago a button turned it just on or off, never mind modes!

Loving the 5000k tint from the triple

Also used the tn36vn on moonlight to illuminate the room softly

Used my micro stream clipped to a hat to see what I was doing cutting up brush and tree limbs I was burning. About an hour and a half in the battery died (had previous use). Popped one out of my keychain light and kept right on going. Yet another battery through it. Keeps consolidating it's lead as most run light I own.

Quote Originally Posted by Offgridled View Post
    Old School 1966 Puma White Hunter and HDS EDC Rotary
    Last edited by tex.proud; 08-01-2016 at 06:37 PM.
    Tex.Proud

Quote Originally Posted by tex.proud View Post
    Old School 1966 Puma White Hunter and HDS EDC Rotary
    Thank tex! Beautiful puma you have there!! My original puma. Sheath was made by a friend of mine
    post a picture

Just another picture of other custom knives and axes of course the glock and threw in the zeiss binoculars just because!@
    upload a picture
    All sheaths are custom hand made.

Very nice collection! I love the Kephart style blade in the first pic! Is that a Sagewood Gear sheath for the Becker? And those axes...and hunting knives...talking my language!
    Tex.Proud

Went to my ma-n-laws for a few days. It is next to a big ole river mouth not far from the ocean.
    Good chance to get my ROP 2C Mag out for some excersize. That and an FL-2.

Too bad the air is so dang filled with moisture this time of year.

This very dark picture is what life was like using a Bic lighter for any light at all.

The Roar of the Pelican

I brought about 20 lights with me.
    Tomorrow night the 2200 lumen Streamlight comes out to play.

Page 211 of 223 FirstFirst ... 111161201204205206207208209210211212213214215216217218221 ... LastLast