Olight T-10 Question

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Olight T-10 that now lives in my laptop bag. I put in a CR123a from another single cell light a month or so ago, and haven't used it since. The battery had almost no time on it before going into the T-10.

When I turned it on today, it would only light on the lowest setting. At first, I thought the battery had just run down, althugh I thought this was odd, because the cell hadn't seen much use. Other than riding around for about a year in now 2 single cell lights that were barely ever turned on.

When I opened up the T-10, though, the threads on the head and the edges of the driver board were coated with a very, very fine light grey powder, which looked to me like aluminum oxide. The body threads, which are anodized black, had a significant coating of black powder covering them. They had been lubed many moons ago with Nyogel, and were clean when I put the battery into the light about a month ago.

The battery shows no outward signs of anything untoward having happened. There wasn't even the telltale waft of the sweet smell of lithium when I opened up the T-10.

The light hasn't gotten wet, gotten hot, been turned on accidently (I defy anyone to accidently activate the reverse clicky on a T-10) or been abused in any way, as far as I know.

I cleaned it up and dropped in a good cell from my EX10, and the Olight fired up in all modes, just fine. So I know, if nothing else, that the battery was just about dead. But the fact that it hadn't been used, and the powder everywhere makes me a bit concerned.

Thoughts?

UberLumens

Newly Enlightened
some lights use power when off (parasitic drain) its usually unnoticeable

The grey stuff you saw could have been thread lube

what light/lights was it used in before the t10

ky70

Banned
Do you have a mulitmeter that you can use to measure the battery voltage? I would start there first.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
The cell came out of my Quark 123, when I took it out of my EDC rotation.

Do the T-series Olights suffer from parasit drain?

I have a T20, and it seemed to kill a pair of batteries unexpectedly. Then my wife said she'd used it doing home repairs one afternoon, so she may have jsut had it on high the whole time, which would have made short work of 2 cells. But of course, she had no idea how long she'd had it on.

Tesla

Enlightened
No...there is no parasitic drain on the O-Light T-10 model. I have one and still have the original battery in it (sad confession for a flashaholic, I know). It still works fine after over a year.

Latest posts