Foxfury Rook
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DaFab 007 XPG upgrade

Default DaFab 007 XPG upgrade

I'll admit that I am still one of the noobs as related to Spy ownership. Right after I got my 007, I sent it to DaFabricata for a heart transplant - a neutral tint XPG emitter. You see, as much as I loved that smooth, 6 speed control - the beautifully milled titanium body - the great feel in my hand - the "survive a nuclear blast" construction - the existing brightness and tint were not what I'd hoped for. Having had a McGizmo Ti PD-S upgraded to an R5 XPG and being blown away by the results, it seemed logical to have the 007 upgraded to a warm/neutral XPG.

Oh my goodness. It's perfect.

Tim did an amazing job - he did Data proud! The emitter is perfectly centered - there's a new heat sink and he also included some protective heatproof tape over the solder connections. Nice, neat work...

But the beam is absolutely fabulous. Beamshots will be added this weekend.

I know, I know – the 007s aren’t about beamshots – no doubt, they are among the most, if not the most, technologically advanced lighting instruments out there, but the beam is so good that it needs to be seen. The shape of the beam and the tint are both perfect, and the ability to choose between 6 levels is sweet.

So as a teaser, here are photos of the business end – one with just reflected light, and the other with the emitter on uber low. And there will be beamshots this weekend.

Hat’s off to Data for making these lights friendly to upgrades, and HATS OFF to DaFab for his terrific upgrade work!!

(Please excuse the dust!)

Interesting that the beam looks somewhat blue in this photo. Make no mistake - it is a 'warm neutral.' It's perfect for my tastes!

Flashaholic

Default Re: DaFab 007 XPG upgrade

Very, very nice.

Is it any less throwy with the R5 in it now?

Hard to say - but I'd guess not, if only because of the added 'brawn' of the XPG. I'd measured it in my home made IS prior to the mod and it was a throwy 148 lumen.... now it measures 223. The spot is a bit larger and transitions nicely, but we'll see when I take my pups on their early morning dog walk tomorrow. Wall shots in dark rooms lead me to believe that it is going to be a "Haiku like" perfect balance of flood and throw.

More to come!

Looks and sounds awesome! I love me some neutral-warm tinted goodness. Tim did a great job.

Grr. Why do you have to have a thread that mentions bot the 007 and the Haiku!! Don't you know I already want both enough?

Flashaholic

That is a BIG bump up in brightness & would make it hard to tell.

Hope you spot a fox with it walking the dogs.

That's a tough lineup you have to pick from.

Interesting! What was the old emitter? I remember the 005 used different reflectors depending on what led they were originally set up with.

Flashaholic*

Cree or SSC P4 I would imagine.

I also don't envy run4jc's decision-making process when determining which light to take on which outing.

Cree warm/neutral tone LEDs are the shizzle

I upgraded my cold white Cree 007 to a Q3-5A

Nice job DeFab!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by TranquillityBase View Post
    I upgraded my cold white Cree 007 to a Q3-5A Nice job DeFab!
    I also have the Q3-5A in a Nitecore D10. I love the color. I really hope the MCE of the Tri-V has a color similar to that. Now, come on with the new sales thread already. I'll have to take the day off work for a shot at one, but it'll be worth it if I snag one.

Quote Originally Posted by jslappa View Post
    Cree or SSC P4 I would imagine.

I also don't envy run4jc's decision-making process when determining which light to take on which outing.

It's tough - and I am in a bit of shock over the way the collection bloomed!

So - for nighttime - sleeping - a Surefire T1A modded with a high CRI emitter - DaFab did that one.

For photography - the McGizmo Sundrop XR-U

For 'always in my pocket', an Arc 6. Perfect size - although there is an aluminum Quartz MiNi CR2 on my keyring.

For the dog walks at 4:30 AM...Haiku XPG, Ra Clicky 170 narrow or Milky ME1B Creemator - but I suspect that the Spy will take over that job!

the others are collector's items - it doesn't seem fair to 'shelf queen' these terrific tools, but someday I'll enjoy passing them to my kids.

And honestly, it is fun making the choice. I am a 'working man' with a son in college and a daughter in high school. I have 2 car payments and a mortgage....and I'll likely never revel in the joy of choosing which high end sports car to drive! But I do get to enjoy the 'luxury' of choosing from among these wonderful lighting tools!

Sorry - too much information, but jslappa's post made me think!!

Quote Originally Posted by jslappa View Post
    I also have the Q3-5A in a Nitecore D10. I love the color. I really hope the MCE of the Tri-V has a color similar to that. Now, come on with the new sales thread already. I'll have to take the day off work for a shot at one, but it'll be worth it if I snag one.
    Good luck!! I think I'm going to have to just be an observer....

Buttrock Re: DaFab 007 XPG upgrade

Thanks for all the nice comments guys!!
    It really means a lot!!

Dan, I am so glad to hear that it made it's way back to you safely and you like it so much!

Before the weekend the neutral XP-G's arrived for several planned mods. Your 007, Viper715's T1A and a few others.
    My 005 was the 1st to get the emitter swap to be sure it would turn out as nice as I'd hoped.
    A really nice JE6 MC-E was in my 005 previously and had a nice tint but the beam was floody and had some artifacts that kinda bothered me.
    After seeing the results of the XP-G in there, I was more than happy!

Fortunately, 1WRX7 had me measure the heatsink in my 007 to have his co-worker make some heatsinks for future upgrades to our Spy's.
    The heatsink did need to be taken down a few mm's to allow the bezel to screw down completely and allow for proper focus and room for the solder joints under the reflector. A piece of black rubber isolation material was added to prevent any shorting on the bottom of the reflector.
    Which BTW Dan, there is a perfect sqaure cut out that fits around the XP-G's base. I see it is not put back into place correctly in the top picture after you disassembled it to look at the heatsink.
    Use a toothpick to help guide it over and around the emitter before installing the reflector, it will look cleaner.

I was also able to take a comparison picture of my 005 with neutral XP-G to Dan's stock 007 with Seoul before starting work to show Dan the difference.

My 005 has been getting a TON of use since the emitter swap.
    The tint is great and it throws quite a bit better than the Seoul.

Again, Thanks for the nice words and I really enjoyed working on your light!

XP-G on top----Seoul on the bottom

Last edited by DaFABRICATA; 06-01-2010 at 08:26 PM.
    Flashlight Modifications available upon request
    "I have to go return some video tapes." -Patrick Bateman

Whoa!! That is insane. Thanks for the beamshot Tim. Gives everyone an even greater appreciation for how much better your mod makes the tint and output.

Now I know who to call when I need some masterful emitter swaps done.

SUPER job!!!

RIDE

I tell you what, folks. This light is amazing! Took it out for the dog walk this morning - carried a camera but alas, with 2 dogs on a leash and no tripod for the camera, getting outside shots in the dark was impossible. I'll work on that this weekend.

Meanwhile, my impressions - the beam reminds me of a Haiku XPG - only considerably warmer and a bit brighter. I realize that the eye has difficulty recognizing differences of, say, an extra 30 lumen or so, but it does seem brighter regardless. Perhaps the warm Haiku XPG will look similar? The one beam shot of that light that has been posted would seem to confirm this.

The 6 levels are great! Used level one 'in the night' as I moved around trying not to wake my wife. JUST enough light to see without being obtrusive. For the dog walk, level 3 was plenty - level 4 was almost perfect. Levels 5 and 6 gave a 'wall of light' that, again, reminds me of the Haiku XPG. Throw was terrific, but again, like the Haiku, the transition from spot to flood is almost totally smooth so the net effect is a 'wall' of light rather than a spot that is concentrated.

I love it! I can see why so many enjoy this light. My only issue - it is heavy! But perhaps the 005, upgraded to this same emitter, might just be the ticket? Hmmm? At any rate, this one is a keeper, unless I fall prey to the siren song of the Tri-V.

Over at this post I did some color comparisons this weekend - if you go there you can see the full range of lights. I added the upgraded Spy this morning and here are just a couple of the shots:

this is the Spy, unlabeled

Comparison collage - again, the Spy is unlabeled.

The next time I see Tim I plan on having him do this same mod on my 007. He mentioned he would have an extra XPG to do it, I just hope he still does It seems the MCR's that are designed for SSC emitters work great with the XPG's too

Having the extra heatsinks for the Spy's make it more convienent to do emitter swaps. I was going to make up a few with different LED's to try out, but it looks like the nutral XPG will be the winner.
    My backpack's... got jets

Default A new photo

I thought you all might enjoy this 'head shot'...

DaFab is the man. I love this light more every day. And of course, Data is the man, too!!

level 2

Level 1

Is that gorgeous, or what???

Welcome to the club!

Some beamshots i already took...

...the lights are:

1. Quark Mini 123 Titan Cree XP-G R5
    2. Gatlight V4 SSC P4 U3bin
    3. McGizmo Haiku Cree XP-G R5
    4. Spy007 Cree XP-G R5

all light setted on high!

controlshot (ISO 400, 4.0 and 2seconds)

Quark Mini

Gatlight V4

Haiku

Spy007

Quote Originally Posted by toby_pra View Post
    Welcome to the club!

Thanks, Toby...I'd seen yours and it helped me make my decision to go for it. I see also that you have trits installed - did you install them or did someone else? I have trits on the way from Bart - Norland 61 in hand - a 365nm UV light - gonna give it a try!

And thanks for the beamshots - I'd seen those, too!

Dont need any UV-light...only Norland and some trits...

Quote Originally Posted by toby_pra View Post
    Dont need any UV-light...only Norland and some trits...
    It's not about need....

Default Re: A new photo

Quote Originally Posted by run4jc View Post
    I thought you all might enjoy this 'head shot'...

DaFab is the man. I love this light more every day. And of course, Data is the man, too!!

level 2

Level 1

Is that gorgeous, or what???
    I want to say what, But that is gorgeous! One can only dream.

Default Re: A new photo

Oh man. This thread makes me want an 007 even more. I love dials. Get a nice quad emitter Surefire U2 and one 007 and I'd be in dial your light to perfection heaven!

Default Readings

Quote Originally Posted by ninemm View Post
    Oh man. This thread makes me want an 007 even more. I love dials. Get a nice quad emitter Surefire U2 and one 007 and I'd be in dial your light to perfection heaven!
    Here - this will only make it worse!! I did readings in my sphere since the upgrade was done. I won't go through all the disclaimers about my home made IS - you can see all that by clicking the link in my sig line. But check this out...and my readings have proven to be within around 5% accurate or better.

As you can see, the level one (programmed that way for me at my request by DaFab) is so low that it barely registers! Yet, in a dark house, it is perfect for moving around without disturbing anyone. Level 2 - as low as that seems, becomes a huge amount of light in a dark house. 3 and 4 are perfect for lighting the path that I walk on (dark)..5 will take care of lighting up virtually anything at a distance - 6 is a "flamethrower" that will freeze a critter in its tracks - or make sure that a speeding car sees me when I am walking near the road.

This light continues to grow on me for the UTILITY that it offers. I still love my McGizmos - and always will - they have a bit more friendly 'form factor' for EDC, but for my 2 biggest uses, moving around the house and walking my dogs when it is dark, this darn thing is just great.

Now, if I (we) can just be quick enough on the trigger when the next wave of Tri-Vs are available!!
    Last edited by run4jc; 06-06-2010 at 05:22 AM.

Loving the new avatar, Dan!

Flashaholic*

This upgrade is fabulous. Tim did a great job. 50% more lumens, improved throw, much brighter spill, lovely tint, nice beam pattern, and quick turnaround. What more could a flashaholic want? Thanks a bunch Tim.

Surprisingly, while lumens are up by 50% at the top, they are up 100% in the mid-range and over 200% in the low range (unless Tim reprogrammed the light, which I doubt). If I'm interpreting this correctly, under normal use this would translate to longer runtimes at any given output; much longer in the low and middle range.

Flashaholic*

If I have to get my SPY007 on the secondary market, I'd definitely inquire about this upgrade. That XP-G is very efficient, and it sounds like the SSC P4 reflector is near perfect for the XP-G. It's a win-win situation. If any of you have read the book or taken the seminar called "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People", they call that Synergy!

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
    This upgrade is fabulous. Tim did a great job. 50% more lumens, improved throw, much brighter spill, lovely tint, nice beam pattern, and quick turnaround. What more could a flashaholic want? Thanks a bunch Tim.

Surprisingly, while lumens are up by 50% at the top, they are up 100% in the mid-range and over 200% in the low range (unless Tim reprogrammed the light, which I doubt). If I'm interpreting this correctly, under normal use this would translate to longer runtimes at any given output; much longer in the low and middle range.
    +1

Here's the way mine shakes out after the upgrade. I had programmed the low as low as I could (I thought) and the high "wide open". I lowered level 2 also. I asked Tim to program level 1 as low as it would go, try and duplicate my old setting for level 2, and have level high wide open - I think 3-5 are default. As you can see, the level 1 with the upgrade is ridiculously low!! I love it - just enough to see at night in a dark house. I find level 3 to be the most useful for my walks in the early morning with my dogs - but level 2 will light the sidewalk right in front of me. 4 doesn't get a lot of use, but 5 and 6 are the 'flamethrowers' that help me see in the distance, or ensure that the occasional car sees me!

"Original", then after the upgrade

Rudi and Dan,

I'm sooo happy to hear you are enjoying your 007's so much!
    I finished up both Rudi's and Chipwillis' 007's on the same night and was able to refine my heatsink design further to allow a little extra added mass.

1WRX7 is coming over this weekend to help me move and his 007 will be getting the same treatment at that time.
    Since my 005 has the same mod done to it, I think I'm going to hold off on doing my 007 until the next "latest and greatest" emitter comes out.
    My 005 was originally one of the rare cree versions, but I swaped the heatsinks and reflectors with my 007 and upgraded the old cree Q2 or Q4 for a Q3-5A for a nicer tint.
    Ever since putting the neutral XPG in my 005, the 007 has seen less use and the 005 was carried constantly until my Tri-V came back home.

I'll be getting a few more heatsinks this weekend.
    If anyone else is interested in having this mod done, send me a PM or email.
    It really does breath new life into the already wonderful 007!
    Flashlight Modifications available upon request
    "I have to go return some video tapes." -Patrick Bateman