eGear HL 130 Focus Control

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have one of these? I've done a search here for info on it, but to no avail.

I'm looking for a new cycling light to go on my helmet, and am still debating headlamp vs flashlight with a bikeblock.

I'm also considering a Fenix HL-20, possibly the HP-15 when it comes out. Currently leaning toward the eGear because of the focus control, which to my mind makes it more versatile as I would be able to use it in other situations. The Fenix, even with the diffuser, seems like it would be much more single purpose than the eGear HL 130.

Any thoughts, impressions, experiences with any of these headlamps would be appreciated.

tedh

Newly Enlightened
I've got an HL-20, which I generally like. If you really like the idea of tailoring the light, both intensity and spread, to a particular situation, a focusing lamp like the one in your subject line should give you more flexibility than the HL-20. There are a few areas, though, where the HL-20 has advantages:

1. Weight. About half of the eGear headlamp.

2. Regulated. Looks like the eGear uses an unregulated setup, so the light intensity will slowly diminish as the batteries wear down (assuming you're using alkalines). The HL-20 will give you same output for the life of the battery, the downside being it will rather suddenly cut out. There are strong opinions on this site which is preferable, but you may already have an opinion.

As a general evaluation, I like the HL-20, the diffuser does a decent job turning a spot beam into a floody shorter-distance light. The build quality is good. The design is a little clunky, it could have been less bulky (look at the Zebralights to see another way to execute headlamps).

Good luck with your decision.

Ted

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got an HL-20, which I generally like. If you really like the idea of tailoring the light, both intensity and spread, to a particular situation, a focusing lamp like the one in your subject line should give you more flexibility than the HL-20. There are a few areas, though, where the HL-20 has advantages:

1. Weight. About half of the eGear headlamp.

2. Regulated. Looks like the eGear uses an unregulated setup, so the light intensity will slowly diminish as the batteries wear down (assuming you're using alkalines). The HL-20 will give you same output for the life of the battery, the downside being it will rather suddenly cut out. There are strong opinions on this site which is preferable, but you may already have an opinion.

As a general evaluation, I like the HL-20, the diffuser does a decent job turning a spot beam into a floody shorter-distance light. The build quality is good. The design is a little clunky, it could have been less bulky (look at the Zebralights to see another way to execute headlamps).

Good luck with your decision.

Ted

Thanks for the info... I wasn't aware the eGear light wasn't regulated, which I prefer. I also prefer a thrower for use as a bike light so it sounds like the Fenix might be the way to go. Lighter weight is also always going to be better for head-wear as well. I thought the eGear focuser might be a good choice because the focusing would make it more versatile, but if it's not regulated, that's kind of a deal breaker for me.

GMLRS

Newly Enlightened
I use 2 Fenix LD20 (s) 180 lumens 2xAA 4 brightness levels. the stobe is good for daytime and lower light safety situations. For off road and when Im going fast away from traffic.

tedh

Newly Enlightened
I should hasten to add I'm not 100% sure it's not regulated - the only way to tell for sure is to get the light and test it. But, the evidence suggests to me it isn't:

1. 3 AA lights are usually unregulated. The battery voltage of 3 alkaline cells adequately matches the voltage the LED wants to see.

2. The advertising copy doesn't say it's regulated. Usually a regulated light will say so.

3. Lumen output includes this statement as to number of hours at each setting:

16 (7 Hours Maximum Output)

A regulated light should stay at the same output for the entire life of the battery, not drop off.

Ted