I bought some carbon fiber materials to make some fairly complex parts with, and sadly realized that I was badly lacking the skills needed to make complex things.
So, I decided to try some simple things first to teach myself a bit, and trying a knife seemed like a simple and fun first try.
I know you knife building pro's are 10000x better than me, and I know my shapes I just eye-balled for the blade shapes and handles etc are nothing amazing. This was just an exercise in working with CF for me, rather than the quest for building the worlds most amazing knife.
So, I picked through some of the pics that turned out decent (all just done on my cell-phone cam ).
The first set of pics is for the thick and long bladed knife I made, which turned out to be really over-kill on blade stregnth, and kinda silly how thick it was. The second set I went with 1/2 the blade thickeness, and it still feels so rigid that flex seems almost undetectable in it, and it slices veggies and things much better with the thinner blade section.
I used my DIY CNC machine to rough-out the strip to become the blade from some 1/4" CF.
Then I ground it and wet sanded it into a shape I liked.
Then I measured up my hand vs the tang material I left, and decided how big to cut the scabs to laminate into being the handle.
Then cut them out with my CNC.
Laid them all up to make sure I was happy with how thick it would be. I used 2x2 twill weave carbon for the blade and inside area of the handle, and then used a slick 1x1 checker board weave for the outside layers of the handle. I think the design contrast is pretty slick.
I mixed up a batch of the special fancy-pants epoxy in the special ratios, and mixed it in the recomended way to avoid bubbles from getting mixed in, then coated both sides of each piece, stacked them all together on a big chunk of solid teflon, and applied weight with another big chunk of teflon.
Patiently waiting for the stack to cure well enough to go in the oven for final hardening...
Once it all cured, I started the filing and sanding process. Dry sanding the carbon was pretty bad, but wet sanding with fine grits, like 600-1000 worked very well.
Hours and hours of sanding later.... and I had something I was proud of.