Anyone tried to make pattern welded Titanium?

liveforphysics

Enlightened
So, I've got an anvil, a make-shift oxy-propane forge, some damn fine hammers, and a whole stack of 1/16" thick 6V4Al Titanium strips.

Has anyone ever made pattern welded Titanium before? Any tips? Or should I just go give it a shot and see what happens. :)

They use borax to coat normal steel when folding and pattern welding. Should I use the same with Titanium?

I watched a few vid's on youtube of some guy blacksmithing titanium into knives, and I watched a bunch more on folks making pattern welded steel, and it seemed like a good time to try a combo. :)

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not quite the same, but look up Timascus, similar visual effect, but using powder rather than forging strips. A knifemaker by the name of Uli Hennicke makes his own stuff called Upotex, again using powder.

To get an actual pattern rather than a homogeneous mass, you need two different types of steel, e.g. one with a high nickel content (shiner) and one with a low nickel content (duller). Given that you've got only one type of titanium, I doubt it'd look how pattern-welded steel does.

Might want to ask Uli if he tried it, I suspect that it's not as simple with titanium as it is with steel. Failing that, I'd try making pattern-welded steel first, see how that goes.

Regardless, whatever you do I'd be interested to see the results.

Last edited:

liveforphysics

Enlightened
Thank you for the tips. :) I had never heard of Timascus before, but it does sound like what I'm looking to end up with. :)

I do think your advice to start with steel is definately logical good advice. I've got lots of random steel strips laying about, so I supose I will give it shot. :)

I won't forget to post back results of how it goes. :)

-Luke

liveforphysics

Enlightened
Whoa! After seeing pattern welded Titanium, I feel like I've got no choice now but to try to make some. :)

Cucchiara-02-s.jpg

Ferry-03B-s.jpg

Moore-01-s.jpg

Ferry-01-s.jpg

plain ol Bill

Newly Enlightened
All of the Timascus ever made has been made in my shop. I am a co-inventor or the product. Timascus is out of production and we have no plans at this time to produce any more.

Latest posts