KL4 with Red 1W

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Well I like the KL4 reflector so much that I have already done a few sacrilegious mods to these cool bezels. Today, I finished a red 1W that sports a DownBoy 400 PCB nested into where the original driver used to be. I realize that the KL4 is a pretty expensive host but when you want the best....

Red-1W.jpg

The red beam is so clean and bright that I think I should have resistored the DB400 down to under 300 mA. This bezel will work on 1 to 4 123 cells. On a single 123, it will likely drop out of regulation early but even in DD, the red is likely to remain bright until the lithium cell is depleted.

Here's a shot of the DB400 residing in a hole bored through the KL4's stock PCB. Boring through SMD components and G10 is a different experience. Not sure about leads and feeds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DB400-KL4.jpg

For me, this reflector in the KL4 puts the NX05 out to pasture.

- Don

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

Paypal Sent!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

yclo

Flashaholic*
My god... that poor little SF PCB was just sitting there, now it looks like that scene from Aliens where they pop out of someone's stomach!

But also, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Don,

Expensive host amen! Pretty cool. I did my first DD red/orange today and am trying to decide if I like it. (Bright sucker!) Another current proj is to bore out the potted electronics and LS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif and re-do with a R2H on a light for a friend. I will probably rot in Hades/Heck for that one.

Larry

paulr

Flashaholic
Nice! I think red led Vf is around 2.2-2.4 V, so it should be able to use a 123 cell til there's nothing left.

Note that even at 400 mA, at that Vf you're still well below the rated 1 watt led power.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

I'm assuming that the KL4's stock PCB was already messed up in some way before you started boring into it. I don't want to face the pain of that assumption being false. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Paul

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool indeed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
PaulW,

This KL4 had a terminal case of heart murmer so I had to put it down. It was enrolled in an organ/ body part donor program so I did the best that I could. Yeah...... right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bernhard,

The beam has a center spot that is about ideal in angle; about 20" in diameter at about 6'(little over .5 meter at 2 meter I would guess). For the beam shot, below the light is about 14 inches from target:

red-beam.jpg

There are no artifacts and spot and flood are very even and useful; perhaps a bit too bright.

- Don

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, a far throw high power red. If only we could get a hold of these reflectors.....

McGizmo

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
IsaacHayes said:
.............. If only we could get a hold of these reflectors.....

[/ QUOTE ]

You can, you buy a L4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I would have to guess that SureFire knows what they have here; the perfect photon management devise for a pocketable 1W Luxeon........

I also have a modified half pint L4; R2H HD 1W, BB500 on E1 body. This is a very nice light!

- Don