Two Mag Mods Finished (200kb of Pictures inside)

LukeK

Enlightened
Hey guys -- I'm back from vacation and I just finished up a few mag modifications.
fb7c7680.jpg

Ok the picture above is of the 'business' end of the 2d Mod. It uses an R2H 1W with a 350mA Micropuck.
Now here I have a question. I am using one of Wayne's 30mm collimators (I wanted more spill than the mag reflector). I stuck in the collimator, screwed everything down, only to find that the collimator does not touch the lens of the mag. Because of this, the collimator will move around a small amount (never comes entirely off of the LED) whenever you turn the mag horizontally. So my cheap looking answer to this was to cut down the reflector until it was the same height as the collimator, and then place packaging tape over the two objects, which succesfully holds the collimator in place. This looks very, well, lame but it seems to work -- is there a better method?

(All pictures excepting the last one are taken at: 1/10 sec | F2.8 | ISO 200)
Next picture: 2D Mag before the mod
fb7c7683.jpg

Next: 2D Mag after the mod
fb7c7690.jpg

For reference here is the 2d and an Arc AAA:
fb7c7687.jpg

Next we have my 6D mod and the 2D. I left the camera settings alone so that you could see how incredibly bright the 6D is (V2T with 6D cells and a 5W .5 Ohm resistor).
fb7c768a.jpg

Finally I have a picture of all three flashlights' beamshots just for kicks:
fb7c767a.jpg

There are 6 images total with a combined size of around 200kb. Tell me if this is too much and I will remove as many as needed.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Two Mag Mods Finished (200kb of Pictures insid

Nice Luke!

If I may ask, how did you mount the 5W?

Wilkey

LukeK

Enlightened

The 5W is glued (Arctic Alumina Adhesive) to a hotlips heatsink. This seems to work very well as heat is transfered very quickly to the body of the Mag.

The 2D is bolted to one of Wayne from Elektrolumens' heatsinks with some Arctic Silver inbetween the star and the sink.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

LukeK
I've never figured out how to stop the rattling between the lens and optics and I have not wanted to "kill" a reflector the way you did /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

LukeK

Enlightened

Thanks for the comments guys. Howard -- yes I was reluctant to blatantly disfigure a perfectly fine reflector heh, but it seemed like my last option and apparently it turned out alright. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Has anyone experiemented with making an optics holder for the 30mm? I'm going to try PVC pipe when my stuff comes in. The 30mm has a 35mm rim so it should work. I'm not sure which pipe I'll have to use. I have about all the sizes though.

TOB9595

Enlightened

VERY nice results, Luke
I can only hope my mods turn out as well
Tom

LukeK

Enlightened

Isaac -- I look forward to hearing about your experiments with PVC pipe!

Tom -- Thanks for the comments. If you have any questions about methods I used or anything else, feel free to ask. I hope your mods turn out well. (Hopefully you won't melt a $30 5w luxeon like I did)