Boker Subcom Titan

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got Chad Los Banos' new Subcom Titan in the mail today, thought you guys might be interested.

Same shape as your garden variety subcoms, except this comes with titanium handles, clips, thumbstuds, and 440C blade. Not top of the line blade steel, but a Ti frame lock for around $30 what more could you ask!

It's extremely light and thin, weight only 2oz/57g, and 7mm thick without clip (12mm with), it would fit anywhere and you won't notice you are carrying it.

I don't usually like small folders because my hands get tired holding the small handle, but even thou this is a 2 ½ finger knife, the wide handle and large finger choil make it feel quite nice in hand.

It also works great as a fancy money clip, if you use one of those.

sub1f.jpg

sub2x.jpg

sub3.jpg

sub4.jpg

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh I do like that, great pics.

I looking to get the new slipjoint 42 Subcom as it would be legal for me to EDC one here in the UK.

I wonder if the Ti scale would fit the slipjoint subcom? :)

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been waiting to place an order until the initial reviews were in. It looks about as good as I had hoped.

Wish they sold a titanium Wharcom.
+1

I've been EDCing a Wharcom for a couple years now. I love the way all the Subcoms practically disappears when clipped to my belt or the inside of my pocket, but I'm especially fond of the easy sharpening of the Wharcom.

Bierkameel

Newly Enlightened
If it had some nice blade steel I would buy a few, I like the titanium frames.

EXCALIBUR1

Newly Enlightened
I have a Boker Wharcom and am debating on whether or not to go for the Boker Titanium Subcom. I use the Wharcom like a utility knife. It's great for cutting up boxes, but I find it does not do a good job of opening letter envelopes. Q: Will the Subcom blade do a better job at opening letter envlopes?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Nice review.

But I've found that 440C can easily compete with many of the latest & greatest steels out there.

shortstack

Enlightened
just bought one the other day, great little knife actually carried it in my pocket on my half marathon run :)

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Boker Wharcom and am debating on whether or not to go for the Boker Titanium Subcom. I use the Wharcom like a utility knife. It's great for cutting up boxes, but I find it does not do a good job of opening letter envelopes. Q: Will the Subcom blade do a better job at opening letter envlopes?

Probably not any better than wharcom, the blade is still too fat to slip under the flap on evnelope easily.

AmperSand

Enlightened
I just ordered one from EDCDepot. Hopefully shipping to Australia goes ok.

Any other members had any experience ordering knives from overseas vendors? I don't see why this wouldn't come through customs quite easily.

Can't wait for it to arrive!

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been carrying one for a couple weeks now. I was more interested in the new blade than the scale, and while I don't mind the Ti scale, I still prefer the feel of the original G-10. I also prefer the feel of the original thumb stud, but the new one's not bad. However, I really like the new blade. I love the Subcom series overall, and have been carrying a Subcom or Wharcom daily for about three years now, but my one gripe has been the thin, flimsy feel of the AUS8 blades, especially the Wharcom's. They've performed fine, and since they're inexpensive and easily replaced, I've never really worried about damaging them, but I've also never felt confident that they would hold up to too much abuse. The new 440C blade is noticeably thicker, and feels much more substantial. Now if they'd just make a 440C Wharcom...

And, no, I haven't tried swapping a G-10 scale on to the Ti model yet. The Ti model uses a different pivot screw, but the other frame screws appear to be the same (size, anyway). The Ti's blade is, again, thicker, but spacing between the front and back of the frame appears to be unchanged. Might be a simple swap.

RSW

Newly Enlightened
I have a Subcom and I am thinking about the Titan. Great price. People shouldn't get caught up in the 440c debate. It's been heat treated and the blade is great.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The regular subcom's blade is even thinner? I thought about getting one but I think I'll pass now.

Yeah, the blade on Chad's regular biscuit design is quite thin. But then again, it's a short blade. The thinness works out well for cutting through anything that you could reasonably expect a short blade to handle.

Mike V

Enlightened
Yeah, I'm interested in the new steel in the blade more than the titanium scale as I already replaced the scale on my Wharcom with a carbon fibre one.