If You Could Only Have One Flashlight.....

Hutch

Newly Enlightened
This is an attempt from a new guy to see what those who have had a chance to use/play with a wider variety of lights than I have appreciate in a design.

IF you could only have ONE flashlight, what would it be and why?

If you could have TWO?

Noah Monk

Newly Enlightened
IF you could only have ONE flashlight, what would it be and why?

SF L4, for reasons discussed in many threads you can find with the search function. Short version: it's the funnest light out there.

If you could have TWO?

If I could have two L4, I'd keep one in my winter pack at all times for double duty as a hand warmer! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
if i could only have one light, it'll be my arc LSH for sure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
ONE light: E2e+KL1, I need runtime before Brightness.

TWO light: Arc LS, E2e+KL1.

----------------
The light to be

ONE light: ARC LS4 (Dimmable)

TWO Light: ARC LS4, dimmable SF L4

Anthony

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
Only 1: Arc LSH-S Very close to perfect. AA tsp a nice bonus, nice long burn time on nimhs (3 hours).
2nd: PT Surge Bright and runs well with nimhs with little diminishing output.

jtice

Flashaholic
Hmmm this is a hard one.

One light= Arc LSH-P ---- LS4 when its out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Two lights= Arc LSH-P (LS4 when out) and a Mclux with 5W mod.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
We've been through this before...

Only one? You've GOT to be kidding!

<stewing over the 90 odd lights I own now>

One only I GUESS would have to be my old scarred beat up MiniM&g with a Madmax+ module, and 2000 MaH NimH batteries. It is my EDC, always on my belt in an old beat (repaired with safety wire) M&g holster. In a pinch it can use Alkalines too.

Two. Hmmm... Again of the 90 odd I own (can't be buying SF Ls or KLs - G2 just has to do) I GUESS maybe my Electrolumens 3D Blaster. Looong runtime. Pretty darn bright. Nice feel to it. Although my Mr. Bulk SN II is worthy of consideration! Or maybe my SL 3C Twin Task. Or....

Why do you torture us so with these questions??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

Having dozens of lights is what makes us Flashaholics!

Let's keep it LIGHT around here, and be NICE to each other eh?

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
One Light: McCulloch x990, because it is BRIGHT, uses rechargeable batteries, has a decent run time, and works well "standing"...now if only it could be shrunk down to the size of an E2.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
1 light: X-binned, high flux 5Watt LS in a Mr. Bulk SN II or similar
2 lights: above, plus an S-binned 1Watt LS mounted on a MadMax+ sandwich by Dat2zip in a Firefly made by Dspeck

Darkaway

Enlightened
One light: PT 20 because....

It uses cheap, available AA's. Cold weather or long runtime? Use Lithiums. Do you want rechargeables? Use NiMh or nicad. Or you can use alkalines.
It uses cheap, available PR based bulbs. You can underdrive or overdrive them. You can also use PR based 5mm LED lamps, the PT Matrix module, or even a luxeon (Everled). The LED options offer different lamp colors.
It's waterproof.
It's arguably pocketable.
It has a lanyard.
It comes in different case colors.
Depending on what sort of beam you want, you can use faceted or smooth reflectors.
If you want a really bright light you can use 4x1/2AA's and a higher voltage lamp.
It can be reconfigured with different reflectors, lamps and batteries in a matter of seconds without tools.
They're cheap. As little as 8 bucks or so on sale.
PT has, usually, great customer service.

Two lights? Another PT 20 or a PT 20 and a PT 40. The parts are interchangeable.

No, it isn't the perfect light but it is a great compromise among many factors. Don't pooh-pooh it because it's cheap. Yes, I have Surefires too but this is one great light for the money.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
If I could only have one? Well, I would chose the KL1 on Doug Speck's UBH II kit with the new Surefire clicky switch (Z57?). That would allow me to use lithiums or AA's.
oldgrandpajack