• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

O-Rings: Another Newbie Question

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
I just recieved the new 1x123 PowerPack, I want to install an L4 head on it. Where are the large and small o-rings that came in the package suppose to go?

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
The biggest O ring goes around the tail piece. The small fat one goes behind the lens, and the remaining one goes on the threads.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
There are only two o-rings in the package, are you saying the big one is just for cosmetics?

Is it normal for the Kroll switch to extend beyond the tail by about 1/16"? It is keeping the light from sitting squarely on its tail.

One minor [unrelated] success, I just installed the BB400 in a new pewter Mini-Maglite. Cool. How will the BB400 Q3 compare with the MadMax Q3?

Sorry for all the dumb questions, but this is all new to me right now ... but I am having fun!

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh yes, i think the lens O ring comes only with the McLux head (which i presume you dont have). So in your case, the smallest o-ring goes on the threads. The large o-ring on the tailpice helps if you want to use the light "combat grip" style. Grip the light between your index and middle finger and operate the switch with your thumb.
The Krol switch ; yes, it is normal for it to stick out a tiny bit, it was designed this way to make operating the switch easier. If you want the switch more recessed, you can try the Darrel mod, which lets you screw the kroll in a bit further (although i havent managed to make mine go in far enough to eliminate the wobble).
Finally, i dont have a BB400 or a Madmax, not even a minimag, so i cant help you there.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
The MM+Q3 is brighter with a 90 minute runtime & the BBQ3L
has constant brightness for 2 hours. As the MM dims it seems
to equal the BB. Then both have some additional runtime at a
lower level of light. I have both & prefer the MM because
it starts out brighter & seems to give me more indication
when to change batteries. I'm glad to hear you're having
fun,so am I. I hope this helps. Buy both. Also did you get
the Kroll switch & the mineral glass? I recommend both!!!

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Kakster,

Thanks for your help, you wouldn't know where I could find more info on the "Darrel" mod? I see the kroll has a thinner piece of rubber right where the rubber meets the threads, would trimming that with a razor help any? The wobble is a little irritating [to me anyway].

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Hoghead,

I didn't know enough to order them at the same time, but I do have the mineral glass lens and Kroll on order now. I'm using the Kroll from the 2x123, it fits perfectly in the minimag so I assume they are all interchangable.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
FlashlightOCD,
The Kroll switch is the same. The one that is different on
the Sandwich Shoppe is the one with the metal sleeve which
is for Surefire G2 & other non lockout tailcap Surefires.
The one you want is $4.50, the one for Surefires is $14.50.
Ya done good! Enjoy.