2 X IMR26650...what bulbs?

tstartrekdude

Newly Enlightened
What bulbs can be run off two IMR26650 cells in a C head?(i'm welling to get a turbo head if needed) I want as short of run time as i can get, leaning trowed throw over flood. I am new to the incan side but i was thinking an WA1111 though i have seen it said some places that two 26500 would poof that bulb...so i am thinking two 26650's would have the same effect.

Anyhow thanks in advance for your input.

EDIT: DANG IT! i was just looking around and the FM d26 sunlight drop-ins are sold out :/ so i guess that takes WA-1111 off the table, unless someone knows a way to use one without it.

Last edited:

325addict

Enlightened
Just wait patiently until they are available again. I had the same after I bought my first module: sold out, but I wanted a second one. Check back often, and... suddenly they were available again!

Then, add an AW (3-stage) soft start to your tailcap, and just use that WA1111. In the unlikely case it does indeed go :poof:you can always go back to the WA1274. This one is rated for 7.2V and 2.77 Amps and will live for 40 hours this way.

Timmo.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Suggest P91 - I run it with 2 imr 16340s. If you do a WTB you may be able to pick them up for $10 to $15 each. May not be the ultimate throw monster, but will be plenty bright, if you wanted to add throw look at Fivemega's turbohead that goes over the P60 drop in.

^^Nova^^

Enlightened
P91 would not last very long on 2x26650, it is way overdriven non 2xIMR18650 already. The bigger 26650 cells would only make it worse.

Would be really bright while it lasts though :naughty:

Cheers,
Nova

tstartrekdude

Newly Enlightened
I changed my mind and bought a 2D mag to mod and going to run two imr 26650's with a philips 5761 bulb....to bad the FM bi pin adapters are sold out now to lol.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am pretty sure that 2 26650s would severely shorten the lifespan of a 5761, if they didn't blow it outright. However, if you don't modify your maglite for reduced resistance, then a 3854H bulb should work fine, and you won't need a bipin bulb holder for it.

mrartillery

Enlightened
I am pretty sure that 2 26650s would severely shorten the lifespan of a 5761, if they didn't blow it outright. However, if you don't modify your maglite for reduced resistance, then a 3854H bulb should work fine, and you won't need a bipin bulb holder for it.

5761 would :poof: in an instant with 26650's! Unless however you use a soft start. 3854H would work nice, although I wouldnt charge them to the full 4.2v, even then you run the risk of :poof:. You can always use a Magcharger bulb, they will hold up to 26650's and have a nice white glow when overdriven, not to mention they are cheap, easy to come by, and pull less than 2 amps. Which will make for some long runtimes when used with high capacity 26650 cells.

Last edited:

nighttrails

Newly Enlightened
5761 would :poof: in an instant with 26650's! Unless however you use a soft start. 3854H would work nice, although I wouldnt charge them to the full 4.2v, even then you run the risk of :poof:. You can always use a Magcharger bulb, they will hold up to 26650's and have a nice white glow when overdriven, not to mention they are cheap, easy to come by, and pull less than 2 amps. Which will make for some long runtimes when used with high capacity 26650 cells.

The overdriven magcharger bulb is my most used and favorite bulb, for all of the above reasons and more. It's a long thrower, especially considering its low draw. With a throwmaster it puts a hotspot a long way down range. Now a 5761 will put out a LOT more light, and spill, but the actual hotspot won't go that much farther. A 5761 flashes at 7.9v, so as mentioned a softstart or bleeding off the batteries will be required. Both the Magcharger bulb and the 1111 flash at 8.3v so hot batteries are going to flash some bulbs. I'd say a softstart is pretty much essential for reliable use at those voltages. Even with my AW switch on medium the Magcharger bulb throws a long way and is typically the level I run on.

Tstartrekdude, however, said he wanted as short as runtime as possible, so that's not the Magcharger bulb - quite the opposite. But what is the desire for a short runtime about? I can understand it not being important compared to a desire for overall output or throw… but as a specific requirement? I'm assuming Tstartrekdude really means he wants as much output or throw as possible.

tstartrekdude

Newly Enlightened
Yeah that,s what i meant, i am going for a wow light here.

Really what i was going for to start with has changed a lot. At first i wanted to use one of the FM 2x26650 bodys, but have given into the "need" for mags.

As of now i am going to put a ROP 3854H in the 2D i have, and get a 3C for my mag61 build. i plan on boring it out for 26650's and using a spacer, i'm thinking that the resistance of the spacer, and using battery's at 4.1 volts(or 4.14 or 15 when i get bored and want it brighter :p ) should save me from poof.

Oh and thanks for the Magcharger bulb suggestion, sounds like a good bulb to take camping with me.

mrartillery

Enlightened
For your 3c you might want to consider the Hikari 5607, this is what I did with my 3 c and its a great little bulb with as much output as a 1909 and only about a $1.25 each on ebay. Beam is nice on it as well. Ive pushed these to 12.3v on several occasions with no :poof: However you will have to use 3 IMR 26500's instead of the 26650's.

tstartrekdude

Newly Enlightened
i love my 26650's to much not to use them...dose FM still make extensiones for c mags, i can't seem to find the sales thread searching for it :/

Will the stock mag tower be able to handle the heat of the 5607, or would i need a kiu socket?

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
i love my 26650's to much not to use them...dose FM still make extensiones for c mags, i can't seem to find the sales thread searching for it :/

No extension tube will work for IMR26XXX M*g "C" because after boring of extension, not enough matterial will remain for threads.
For 2x26650, ROP 3853 is brightest reliable set up.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have been using a 3854H in my 2D maglite with 2 IMR 26650s for months now, and have yet to blow a bulb, and I fully charge the cells every time. The current draw with fully charged cells is about 4.4 amps, which, according to luxluthor's tests, means that the bulb is experiencing a voltage of about 7.2 volts.
Of course, not all maglites will have the same amount of resistance, so you should start with a lower voltage (like 4 volts) and slowly work your way up to full charge voltage. However, the 3854H bulb didn't blow until 8.6 volts, which is quite a way away from 7.2.

I have also used the 3853H, which gives a better runtime, but is obviously not as bright as the 3854H.

tstartrekdude

Newly Enlightened
No extension tube will work for IMR26XXX M*g "C" because after boring of extension, not enough matterial will remain for threads.
For 2x26650, ROP 3853 is brightest reliable set up.

First off did i at any point say i wanted my light reliable :xyxgun:

Also i think i could make it work, i could try being very careful with the bore(using a brake hone and checking cell fitment often) or by sanding the wrapper or just removing the wraper all together on the cell to give me a bit of wiggle room.....yes i know that taking off the wrapper equals having the whole body of the battery as the negative, but sense the ano will be taken off of the extension to it will pretty much just bypass the tall spring.

Speaking of extensions can you make some more of them, last time you made some they where all gone in two days :poke:
(link for anyone that wants to see the extensions in question https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/204599 )

....and some more G4 bipin adapters to :nana:

EDIT: OH...i was just thinking about it and you are right...no way that's happening....DANG IT!

Last edited:

mrartillery

Enlightened
I have been using a 3854H in my 2D maglite with 2 IMR 26650s for months now, and have yet to blow a bulb, and I fully charge the cells every time. The current draw with fully charged cells is about 4.4 amps, which, according to luxluthor's tests, means that the bulb is experiencing a voltage of about 7.2 volts.
Of course, not all maglites will have the same amount of resistance, so you should start with a lower voltage (like 4 volts) and slowly work your way up to full charge voltage. However, the 3854H bulb didn't blow until 8.6 volts, which is quite a way away from 7.2.

I have also used the 3853H, which gives a better runtime, but is obviously not as bright as the 3854H.

Sounds like you got lucky and got a host with high enough resistance to save your lamp, nice! ;)

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off did i at any point say i wanted my light reliable :xyxgun:
I will leave unreliable and risky recommendations to others.

Also i think i could make it work, i could try being very careful with the bore(using a brake hone and checking cell fitment often)
Good luck.

Sounds like you got lucky and got a host with high enough resistance to save your lamp, nice! ;)
And there is no guarantee others have exact same host with same resistance, same health cells, same charging termination point and...

kramer5150

Flashaholic
ROP 3853 in a 2D is my fave setup. The 3853L bulbs will run for ~3 hours, starting out at 250L and slowly diminishing output from there. Not sure if mine is an odd-ball, but my 3853H bulb melted its solder, and no longer works. So... I think with the 26650 cells theres some serious heat build up in the PR lamp. I would only recommend it as a moderate-short burst kind of light.

Last edited:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
My bulb makes direct contact with my aluminum reflector (although there are metal washers in between the bulb and reflector for focus), so it should be transferring at least some heat away from the bulb. I had a 3854 bulb fail for some reason, but there were no external changes to the bulb at all (no broken filament, no marks on the base).
I have used the 3854H for a good 10-15 minutes more or less continuously without issues (yet).
Of course, these hotwires aren't really expected to be all that table or reliable.