I want one... Help

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone,

I have wanted one of these for a while now but other things always came up.

I have had a read around and looked over the website but still cant decide which to get, I hope I could get a little nudge in the right direction.

I dont have a budget as such but I currently have £100 in my paypal account just burning a hole.

I like the look of the Raw, the Wee I think is a bit too small and I would like 2 levels, If I did get the Wee it would definatly be a keychain light but it would get scratched up pretty fast so I think I will stick with the Raw.

I noticed on the website that SS is a made to order item, how long does it take to make?

Also what is more durable, threads, dents scratches etc.

I would like a few opinions of people with Nickel-Silver Raw's and Alu Raw's and SS.

Going from hardest to softest material which is harder.

Also how small are these compared to say a Nitecore EX10 as this is currently a nice pocketable size.

And one last thing, it says on the website that the trit locators are out of stock, how many do I need for a Raw are there differetn holes for the differrent material types.

Wow, I hope that came out all right, I didnt think it did.

Should I be emailing Lummi and asking these questions, really just like a few opinions of which metal to get and how they find the Lummi's

SteveStephens

Newly Enlightened
Abarth,
Out of the 30 or so small LED lights I have it's the Raws that I use and love. Nickel Silver, Aluminum, Titanium, and Damascus. The Nickel Silver has, by far, the smoothest operation and I like the heft. The aluminum is lighter than I prefer. The titanium threads are a bit stiff but they have been changed (improved? and made finer) since I got mine years ago. The Damascus is nice but the threads aren't terribly smooth but not bad either.

One trit in each lite I chose except for none in my first, the Nickel Silver. A flavor for each of us. Make mine Nickel Silver though I have not seen the SS ones nor a Wee (too small). You can have more than one trit in the RAWS I think. Some of the colors of trit are much brighter than others (green). Bright is good. Hope you get one soon and that you like.

Steve

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have experience of Titanium, Stainless Steel and Nickel Silver Lummi flashlights. I'll throw in a Maglite Solitaire to show the wear resistance of aluminium next to my keys.

SS > NS > Ti > Al

I find that my Wee gets the most use, since it is always on my keys. However, if you have a good, dedicated pocket of necklace, a Raw will suit. These are not heavy flashlights, so SS is the best material in my opinion for everyday use. NS is close, but do check that you are not allergic to nickel first. Titanium is lovely, but in terms of bang-for-your-buck, SS takes the crown for me.

philsyson

Newly Enlightened
I have the following:
wee ss
raw ss
raw ns

the raws are my personal favourite as they are still remarkably small but still large and weighty enough to feel substantial. The ss version is the more practical material for everyday use but the ns is a beautiful material that also happens to be £30 less than it's shiny ss sibling.

Either choice represents fantastic value for money and in my experience rob delivers great service

phil

phil

sunsync

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the RAW NS (with 3 trits), which has been my EDC and by far my favorite torch. I went for the lowest low output and highest high output, which makes for a great combination. Size, beam, style, quality, convenience, usability, everything about it is great. I like the Wee too, but this is the ONE! Service from Rob was great but communicate with him directly.

fyrstormer

Banned
I have the Raw Titanium myself, but if I couldn't afford that I'd get the Raw Stainless. I hate hate hate corrosion, which rules out the NS, and stainless will stand-up better to pocket-carry anyway.

Darvis

Enlightened
I have a wee ns on my keychain; outside of some patina, it's held its own for wear with no significant scratches at all. It's held up better than my HAIII E01, but has not been as tough as my stainless peaks. That said, looks like I agree with mike salt on the SS > NS > Ti > Al durability path.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys thanks for all your input, you have persuaded me along with the help of Rob's great communication I will be putting in an order for a SS Raw and a few extra bits.

One more question for anyone who may have either done a lumen rating or knows of one, is the 200 lumen/20 lumen rating real and is it OTF or emitter lumens.

How about the neutral white emitter does it come out at the 200 lumen mark.

uknewbie

Banned
I have a Raw NS and think it is a fantastic little light. Feels substantial, very nice smooth beam. 200/20 lumen option for me is best, amazing output or great runtime with a very useable amount of light, great combo.

One slight niggle, the NS at the point where it overlaps, leaves a small area that is a different shade to the rest, where one part is I assume cleaner due to being hidden, if that makes sense. May be easy to clean up have never tried.

If I was buying another, I would pay the extra for the SS model. Looks far better IMO and would hold up better to abuse. Not that the NS wouldn't I just think the SS better.

fyrstormer

Banned
Hi guys thanks for all your input, you have persuaded me along with the help of Rob's great communication I will be putting in an order for a SS Raw and a few extra bits.

One more question for anyone who may have either done a lumen rating or knows of one, is the 200 lumen/20 lumen rating real and is it OTF or emitter lumens.

How about the neutral white emitter does it come out at the 200 lumen mark.
Lummi lights are resistor-driven, so the lumen rating is what you get on a fully-charged battery. When it gets dim, it's time to change the battery.

*Dusty*

Enlightened
I have a Raw NS and think it is a fantastic little light. Feels substantial, very nice smooth beam. 200/20 lumen option for me is best, amazing output or great runtime with a very useable amount of light, great combo.

One slight niggle, the NS at the point where it overlaps, leaves a small area that is a different shade to the rest, where one part is I assume cleaner due to being hidden, if that makes sense. May be easy to clean up have never tried.

If I was buying another, I would pay the extra for the SS model. Looks far better IMO and would hold up better to abuse. Not that the NS wouldn't I just think the SS better.

Try a little brasso or silvo on it, the rest of it is probably a little tarnished if you've had it a while :)

fyrstormer

Banned
My flashlight usage consists of illuminating things within arm's reach or out of arm's reach, and since "out of arm's reach" can be quite far away at times, I prefer the brightest high-mode I can get. 20 lumens is definitely enough for reading a map, but I'd get the 200/20 so you can light up things that are far away when necessary. It's not like you'll be using it that much, once the novelty wears off, so the shorter runtime won't matter much.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before I sold my RA Twisty 85 Tr, I was happy using that as my main edc which was only 85 lumens although it had great throw.

TBH if I were going to be anywhere where I would need to see something in the dark more than 100 feet away I would already have my 'superllights' with me and the Raw as back up.

I think im going to stick with longer runtime on high which I etimate will be around 80 lumens for the neutral white emitter, plus sometimes too much light is too much.

sunsync

Newly Enlightened
Interesting to hear everyone's comments and experience supporting their preferences for material and lumen ratings. I almost strictly use 20, but could not count the times that the 200 has proved invaluable in what is generally a pitch black yard at night. After 2 years with only 2 batteries, it's still running strong and given me my money's worth. I would strongly recommend the 200 because the way Rob has configured the light, it is simply amazing. You cannot go wrong with any of Rob's lights.