Battery Junction
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Maratac AAA "Cu"

Default The Maratac AAA "Cu"

A light like this needs no introduction. There are plenty of brass lights floating around, but I've never seen a copper light before, so I told County Comm to send me a couple, so I can decide if I like them or not.

There's already a review on CPF, so instead of writing a new one, here's a link to the original: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=240639

Pics!

Default Re: The Maratac AAA "Cu"

Is it a copper body or simply copper coloured?

If it's copper, does it make your hands smell from holding it?

Flashaholic

I want one.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rose View Post

I remember another CPF'er posting that yes, it does make your hands smell like copper. It'll tarnish as well, so get out your toothpaste and toothbrush once in a while and give it a good scrubbin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rose View Post

It's copper through and through; it weighs 2.5x as much as the aluminum version (all of an ounce, ye gods!). It only smells like pennies ever so slightly right now, because the finish is still freshly polished. I'm sure it will smell more like loose change once the surface layer degrades a bit.

- - -

Actually, I take it back, there ARE a couple of notable differences between this one and the original aluminum version:

1. the PWM is much higher-frequency;
    2. the modes are Low/Medium/High instead of Medium/Low/High.

Other than that, it's the same.

Quote Originally Posted by calipsoii View Post
    I remember another CPF'er posting that yes, it does make your hands smell like copper. It'll tarnish as well, so get out your toothpaste and toothbrush once in a while and give it a good scrubbin'.
    For some reason I can't adequately explain, I don't mind tarnish on copper nearly as much as tarnish on brass. Something to do with the whitish film that forms on brass as it tarnishes, which copper doesn't do because it's not alloyed with any other metals.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    For some reason I can't adequately explain, I don't mind tarnish on copper nearly as much as tarnish on brass. Something to do with the whitish film that forms on brass as it tarnishes, which copper doesn't do because it's not alloyed with any other metals.
    copper is almost never used pure, and is almost always alloyed with other metals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragiska View Post
    copper is almost never used pure, and is almost always alloyed with other metals.
    Fine, then it's present in a large-enough percentage that the effect of the other metals on the nature of the oxide layer is insignificant compared to, for example, brass.

Flashaholic*

alloys don't necessarily have even remotely similar properties of it's constituent metals. that's the whole point of alloys, they are completely DIFFERENT materials, with unique properties.

example: brass is mostly copper too

Of course they have similar properties. Atomic bonding and chemical reactivity are primarily governed by interactions in the outermost electron shell, hence why metals in the same column in the Periodic Table have similar chemical properties. In alloys, electrons are constantly bouncing around from one atom to the next, so the valence of each atom in the alloy is best described as a weighted average of the natural valences of the pure constituent metals.

Thanks for derailing the thread, btw. The tiny amounts of dopants that may or may not be present in the body of my Maratac AAA Cu are irrelevant to the original point of the thread and you know it.

Of course they have similar properties. Atomic bonding and chemical reactivity are primarily governed by interactions in the outermost electron shell, hence why metals in the same column in the Periodic Table have similar chemical properties. In alloys, electrons are constantly bouncing around from one atom to the next, so the valence of each atom in the alloy is best described as a weighted average of the natural valences of the pure constituent metals.

Thanks for derailing the thread, btw. The tiny amounts of dopants that may or may not be present in the body of my Maratac AAA Cu are irrelevant to the original point of the thread and you know it.
    I know this was a serious post but it made me laugh nonetheless.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    I want one.
    me too, i WILL have one.

i dont care about the exact chemistry of the atoms of the metal/s bonding properties.

sure is purdy
    If and when the the big dookie hits the fan, and global chaos ensues, i want a couple of quality AA lights within reach.

Nice pics, but how do you like using it? Does it feel weird in your hand?

If you've got $600, Photon Fanatic is making an AAA Killer in sterling silver...

Thanks for the pics and info, fyrstormer. This is the first I've heard that the PWM frequency is higher in this light.

A very needed improvement.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    I want one.

$38? Doable. Anybody use a 10440 in one of these? Does it toast the LED? L-M-H is good with 10440 if it doesn't ruin the flashlight.

They recommend not using 10440s in it. Some have, supposedly with acceptable results, but considering the driver in this version is at least slightly different than in the original version, someone would need to test the new driver to make sure it isn't more susceptible to damage than the original one.

I like using it, and thus far the tarnish layer is just bright pink, not the dark matte coating brass develops. I like it.

Only one website carries Maratac now?

To be honest I had no real desire at all to get any of the alu Maratac lights. I already have an LD01 in SS that I love and keeps on ticking for me. HOWEVER, there is something very cool about this all copper light and I really like the look of it. Plus I like a light with a little heft to it, makes it feel sturdier. I could be persuaded to get one of these I think. I'll be watching the MP for the first round of them to go up for sale after some decide they don't like them.

I like using it, and thus far the tarnish layer is just bright pink, not the dark matte coating brass develops. I like it.
    Here's a pic showing patina changes over the years, which of course would be much different for an item getting handled as our lights will, but it would be nice to see you buy enough of them to let them age in different environments and preserve them over the centuries for the rest of us to enjoy!
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

To be honest I wish there were some sort of plasticky anti-oxidizing coating I could put on it to prevent tarnishing and reduce the smell.

Copper is so beautiful!! Its such a shame it tarnishes so quickly. Although I do like the patina up to 1 yr!! I though these were clear coated?

You could clear coat it yourself with something although I dont know how durable it would be . I havnt had much luck on steel parts like clips and such
    Last edited by purelite; 06-11-2010 at 02:23 PM. Reason: added

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    Only one website carries Maratac now?
    As far as I know, Maratac is a brand-name of County Comm. I bought a couple stainless steel skull beads from them too, with the Maratac name on them. So, if they own the brand and they have their own website, there isn't much reason for them to sell through other vendors unless nobody can find their website.

Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post
    Here's a pic showing patina changes over the years, which of course would be much different for an item getting handled as our lights will, but it would be nice to see you buy enough of them to let them age in different environments and preserve them over the centuries for the rest of us to enjoy!
    They come in vacuum-sealed foil pouches. They'll be preserved for all eternity anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by purelite View Post
    Copper is so beautiful!! Its such a shame it tarnishes so quickly. Although I do like the patina up to 1 yr!! I though these were clear coated?

You could clear coat it yourself with something although I dont know how durable it would be . I havnt had much luck on steel parts like clips and such
    Regular use will keep the tarnish layer thin without any special care. Just look at pennies; the only ones that do anything other than darken are the ones that get left in someone's junk drawer for a couple of decades.

I wonder if silver tarnish remover would work?

Enlightened

That is one nice light. Like it a lot. Both my wife and I have the ITP A3 version and we're happy with them but the copper looks great.

When I moved into my house six years ago, the pipe for the faucet in the backyard was just regular copper pipe used for plumbing. I was going to remove it and put in steel pipe but instead I polished it up and sprayed it with a pcb clear protector. The pipe still looks great. I wonder if something like that could be done with this light or would it affect the heat dissipation.

I like the look of that.

You said you had a couple, right fyrstormer?

So would you part with one of them?

If not where can a poor old UK CPFer acquire one of these?
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

Flashaholic*

What a unique light - thanks for posting this thread! I'd missed the review.

As far as this goes:
    Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    To be honest I wish there were some sort of plasticky anti-oxidizing coating I could put on it to prevent tarnishing and reduce the smell.
    You can use spray laquers that are intended for things like keeping brass lamps from tarnishing, if that's a concern. Personally, I think the copper patina is cool. My grandparents had a copper (copper plated?) bullet flashlight when I was a young kid in the 1960s. This sort of brings back memories of that!
    MD3 | M6CB | Gladius/SSCP4 | A2-HA-WH | A2-HA-YG | A2-BK-WH | Z3/KT2 | M2 | C2 | 6Z | 6P | U2A | K2MS | E2e/KL4 BK | E2DL | E2D | E2L | L2 | Milky ML1/SSCP4 USWOH McR18j | L1-BK-RD | L1-HA-WH | L1-HA-WH Cree | L1-HA-RD | 3P | E1B | E1L | E1E-HA-BK | E1W | 618FA | G2

Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    I like the look of that.

You said you had a couple, right fyrstormer?

So would you part with one of them?

If not where can a poor old UK CPFer acquire one of these?
    Not quite yet; one is still in the mail. Do they not ship to the UK? I would've thought NATO allies would be safe enough to trust with penlights.

I could be persuaded to part with one, if you can't order direct from them.