The Maratac AAA "Cu"

fyrstormer

Banned
A light like this needs no introduction. There are plenty of brass lights floating around, but I've never seen a copper light before, so I told County Comm to send me a couple, so I can decide if I like them or not. :D

There's already a review on CPF, so instead of writing a new one, here's a link to the original: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/240639

Pics! :cool:

CIMG4219.jpg

CIMG4216.jpg

CIMG4222.jpg

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it a copper body or simply copper coloured?

If it's copper, does it make your hands smell from holding it?

I remember another CPF'er posting that yes, it does make your hands smell like copper. It'll tarnish as well, so get out your toothpaste and toothbrush once in a while and give it a good scrubbin'.

fyrstormer

Banned
Is it a copper body or simply copper coloured?

If it's copper, does it make your hands smell from holding it?
It's copper through and through; it weighs 2.5x as much as the aluminum version (all of an ounce, ye gods!). It only smells like pennies ever so slightly right now, because the finish is still freshly polished. I'm sure it will smell more like loose change once the surface layer degrades a bit.

- - -

Actually, I take it back, there ARE a couple of notable differences between this one and the original aluminum version:

1. the PWM is much higher-frequency;
2. the modes are Low/Medium/High instead of Medium/Low/High.

Other than that, it's the same.

fyrstormer

Banned
I remember another CPF'er posting that yes, it does make your hands smell like copper. It'll tarnish as well, so get out your toothpaste and toothbrush once in a while and give it a good scrubbin'.
For some reason I can't adequately explain, I don't mind tarnish on copper nearly as much as tarnish on brass. Something to do with the whitish film that forms on brass as it tarnishes, which copper doesn't do because it's not alloyed with any other metals.

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
For some reason I can't adequately explain, I don't mind tarnish on copper nearly as much as tarnish on brass. Something to do with the whitish film that forms on brass as it tarnishes, which copper doesn't do because it's not alloyed with any other metals.

copper is almost never used pure, and is almost always alloyed with other metals.

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
alloys don't necessarily have even remotely similar properties of it's constituent metals. that's the whole point of alloys, they are completely DIFFERENT materials, with unique properties.

example: brass is mostly copper too

fyrstormer

Banned
Of course they have similar properties. Atomic bonding and chemical reactivity are primarily governed by interactions in the outermost electron shell, hence why metals in the same column in the Periodic Table have similar chemical properties. In alloys, electrons are constantly bouncing around from one atom to the next, so the valence of each atom in the alloy is best described as a weighted average of the natural valences of the pure constituent metals.

Thanks for derailing the thread, btw. The tiny amounts of dopants that may or may not be present in the body of my Maratac AAA Cu are irrelevant to the original point of the thread and you know it.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Of course they have similar properties. Atomic bonding and chemical reactivity are primarily governed by interactions in the outermost electron shell, hence why metals in the same column in the Periodic Table have similar chemical properties. In alloys, electrons are constantly bouncing around from one atom to the next, so the valence of each atom in the alloy is best described as a weighted average of the natural valences of the pure constituent metals.

Thanks for derailing the thread, btw. The tiny amounts of dopants that may or may not be present in the body of my Maratac AAA Cu are irrelevant to the original point of the thread and you know it.
I know this was a serious post but it made me laugh nonetheless. :twothumbs

paulr

Flashaholic
Nice pics, but how do you like using it? Does it feel weird in your hand?

If you've got $600, Photon Fanatic is making an AAA Killer in sterling silver...

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Thanks for the pics and info, fyrstormer. This is the first I've heard that the PWM frequency is higher in this light.

A very needed improvement.

Geoff

fyrstormer

Banned
They recommend not using 10440s in it. Some have, supposedly with acceptable results, but considering the driver in this version is at least slightly different than in the original version, someone would need to test the new driver to make sure it isn't more susceptible to damage than the original one.

I like using it, and thus far the tarnish layer is just bright pink, not the dark matte coating brass develops. I like it.

nbp

Flashaholic
To be honest I had no real desire at all to get any of the alu Maratac lights. I already have an LD01 in SS that I love and keeps on ticking for me. HOWEVER, there is something very cool about this all copper light and I really like the look of it. Plus I like a light with a little heft to it, makes it feel sturdier. I could be persuaded to get one of these I think. I'll be watching the MP for the first round of them to go up for sale after some decide they don't like them.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I like using it, and thus far the tarnish layer is just bright pink, not the dark matte coating brass develops. I like it.
Here's a pic showing patina changes over the years, which of course would be much different for an item getting handled as our lights will, but it would be nice to see you buy enough of them to let them age in different environments and preserve them over the centuries for the rest of us to enjoy! :grin2:
copper-weathering-chart-425x425.gif