Problem with magnetic switch in a coltri led 40

sidnik

Newly Enlightened
I bought thiw cotri led used
cyjFjK

and i have a problem.The magnetic switch has a safety.The problem is that the knob although it says ''push'' you can not push it
cyjFjK

so there is always the danger of turning off or on without a warning.I opened the switch but i can not understand how it works.Has anyone the same torch so he can tell me what to do?

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, sidnik.

You'll need to read the various threads about how to post images properly if people are to get an idea of what you are asking here.

Here's a good one to start with: Cant post photos

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never heard of that dive light (and that might be the problem...maybe no one on here has either).

You'll have to tell us more about the problem. I assume that you are supposed to press the button and then it allows you to turn the rest of the knob?

So you can turn it but is the problem that it turns too freely? Therefore it's stuck in the open/unlocked position?

Can you post a picture of the inside of the switch after you opened it up?

Can't you figure out a way to "unstick" the button?

lucca brassi

Enlightened
I think you have to unscrew middle Imbus screw. If this is very hard (corrosion on Al between SS screw) try to spray back end of lamp and specialy slot between lamp and button with something like WD-40 an left it over night .
( but try to avoid rubber from WD40 because it melt it down! (new Orings needed!)

sidnik

Newly Enlightened
One of these days i am gonna post more photos from the inside.The problem is that it makes no sense how this knob worked.

sidnik

Newly Enlightened
Ok this is the back of the switch.As you can see there is a cannel in which the probe in the back of the light enters.The metalic thing on the top is the knob which says 'push'' but even if you push it it doesnt protrude at all.The thing on the left i dont know what it is.
IMG_6617.jpg

on the other side you can see on top the probe which enters the channel,the safety valve i dont know what it is,and the black thing is something metallic that doesn't move up and down as i think it should.When the switch is ''off'' the black thing alligns with the push knob.
IMG_6615.jpg

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?:candle:

b-bassett

Newly Enlightened
from the looks of it id say that the black thing is indeed meant to move, but has got stuck with salt deposits. It looks to me like its supposed to push out and sit in either the small hollow (when in the on position) or in the hollow under the push button to ''lock'' the knob in either position

try leaving it all to soak for a night in tap water to dissolve the salt then see if things start to move.

i reckon the black thing (ball bearing?) is sprung loaded though and may come out completely so don't loose it.

hope that helps

jon

sidnik

Newly Enlightened
Ok i'll try it,the problem is i cant get inside all these from behind,from the inside part of the torch which could help,but i don't know how to do it yet.

sidnik

Newly Enlightened
:faint::faint::faint::faint::faint: Where did you find it,i am trying so many months in the internet and not a single thing.you are a real golddiger

DM51

Flashaholic
from the looks of it id say that the black thing is indeed meant to move, but has got stuck with salt deposits.
I would agree with that. It looks like it's rusted up.

This is probably the only time I would recommend the use of WD40 on a light, as it is about the only thing I can think of that might penetrate that rust. Note that I'm NOT recommending it as a lubricant. Just squirt a bit on, leave it to work overnight and then see if you can move it. If it works, make sure to clean it out thoroughly afterwards.

BTW, the safety valve is an over-pressure valve, similar to what you find on Peli cases. You may be able to unscrew it.

If it doesn't work, you'll probably need a new tail assembly.

b-bassett

Newly Enlightened
just anoother thought

soaking them in vineger should dissolve both salt and rust deposites and may be kinder to any plastic/rubber parts using wd40.

normal chip shop stuff should do the trick

b-bassett

Newly Enlightened
also

dont think you will need to get inside the light at all

the ball is probably just sitting in blank hole witha spring behind it, im quite sure thers nothing holding it in except the rust

sidnik

Newly Enlightened
possibly, though it should be a stainless spring so shouldnt have corrodedandf broken

had any luck getting the rust out?

After 8 hours in the vinegar nothing changed,the ball is still stuck and nothing is moving.I have an ultrasonic in my workshop should i put it in?

b-bassett

Newly Enlightened
hmmm id have thoght that rust would have budged at least a bit.

if the you've got all the componants out the case, then id think the ultra sonic bath would be ideal.

just make sure ther's not been an caustic or similar in the bath, or it will ruin the body.
id give it ago with water and a lil bit of washing up liquid