Anyone modded an iPod dockable unit to charge the newer Nano's and iPods?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I have some speakers and an FM transmitter for the car that all worked with my earlier Nano's to charge them while connected but my Gen. 4 Nano won't charge since they changed the pins that send power to the charging circuitry.

If anyone has any knowledge of how to mod devices that work on Gen. 3 and earlier units for simultaneous charging and make them work with the newer units it would make the world a better place, at least for those of us who could benefit from such knowledge. :grin2:

Please feel free to post any iPod accessories that would work for getting the sound into the car system while charging as well...

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although it doesn't mention Nanos specifically, I think this page (the part about pin 27) may be of use to you.

In my car I looked in my aftermarket head unit's manual and found that I could buy an adaptor that would give me aux in. It doesn't charge, but I have a cigarette lighter USB charger that does.

Are you looking ot get rid of a second-gen nano?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Although it doesn't mention Nanos specifically, I think this page (the part about pin 27) may be of use to you.

Are you looking to get rid of a second-gen nano?
Maybe it's too early in the morning for me but that almost made my head explode reading through all that! I'll try looking at it again after work.

I do still have my 2nd Nano and had been thinking of going back to using it simply because of the charging issue. My newest version is always dead when I go to use it, so I charge it, use it a bit, then next thing I know, it's dead again.

ho333ard

Newly Enlightened
I've never heard about a pin change. I had 1st gen and now I have 3rd gen Nanos.
Does this mean if I go 5th gen I can't use any of my old chargers/ dock connectors?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I've never heard about a pin change. I had 1st gen and now I have 3rd gen Nanos.
Does this mean if I go 5th gen I can't use any of my old chargers/ dock connectors?
My 1st, 2nd & 3rd Gen Nanos worked with my Altec speakers and my FM transmitter in the car and I never had to worry about the battery going down, but from 4th Gen on the pins for charging are different and I'm hoping to be able to mod the connectors to the correct pins.