The Fenix-Store
Page 1 of 22 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Wicked Lasers 445nm <1W Spyder III Pro Arctic Series

Default Wicked Lasers 445nm <1W Spyder III Pro Arctic Series

Just spotted this.

Do not obstruct beam with remaining... limbs?

Joking aside, that looks truly, intimidatingly scary.
    Last edited by herbicide; 06-11-2010 at 01:56 PM.
    'Welcome to the dark side... well... bright side... really, really bright side...' - RyanA

Default Re: Wicked Lasers 445nm 1W(!) portable deathray

And only $228?! This creates a whole new level of applications; it's definitely powerful enough to kill insects, for example..

I found this part interesting:
    Warning: Extremely dangerous is an understatement to the power of 1W of laser power. It will blind permanently and instantly and set fire quickly to skin and other body parts, use with extreme caution and only when using the included eye protection. [...]
    Wow.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 06-11-2010 at 02:44 PM.
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

I can see it now a bunch of blind kids running around with no fingers and burn holes all over there body's. Just kidding but the way they advertise it if you break the beam with your skin it will burn you and you must where special glasses what about when you want to show your friends you would need glasses for everyone or you could blind them. They should include more than one pair of glasses with them just to be safe. I like it though I wonder how far away it will take out a fly?
    I Have A High Art: I Hurt With Cruelty Those Who Wound Me. (Archilochus 650BC)

Unenlightened TheFathomlessBlue's Avatar

I just ordered one. It will be stored in my gun safe, becasue it is about as dangerous as a hand gun. But I figure they can't be allowed to sell these long before a lawsuit suits them down. I will post when it shows up.
    Longbow Micra

Moded NewWish 532nm <50mW
    Extreme DPSS 430nm 50mw
    Infiniter Ultra 650nm <4mW (Old Faithful)

Quote Originally Posted by TheFathomlessBlue View Post
    I just ordered one.

Get plenty of photos and burn test results, it'll be a very popular thread..

I just ordered one. It will be stored in my gun safe, becasue it is about as dangerous as a hand gun. But I figure they can't be allowed to sell these long before a lawsuit suits them down. I will post when it shows up.
    A 1-watt laser won't kill anyone, it'll just (permanently) blind and cause small burns, and maybe cancer several years after exposure. The scary part is that reflections and even scattered light from this laser can overwhelm the retina and damage it.
    My biggest light-hog is my camera.

Unenlightened TheFathomlessBlue's Avatar

Yeah but with a 1watt laser this cheap and availalbe some one will do something stupid and the next thing you know Sanjay Gupta will have a special on CNN about it and the feds wil shut Wicked down...

My 50mw unit I picked up a few years ago is a neat toy...

http://img532.imageshack.us/i/auction001am9.flv/

This thing is a freakin weapon. But it would be the buy of a century if it is what they claim it is.
    Last edited by TheFathomlessBlue; 06-11-2010 at 10:34 PM.
    Longbow Micra

Moded NewWish 532nm <50mW
    Extreme DPSS 430nm 50mw
    Infiniter Ultra 650nm <4mW (Old Faithful)

I JUST BOUGHT ONE

VIDEO REVIEW PENDING

Omg, I can't wait.

Just last week I bought a 500mW 532nm (green) Viasho RPL. I would love to see how these two monsters compare.

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    ... it's definitely powerful enough to kill insects, for example..

Insects? More like small rodents!
    Last edited by SmurfTacular; 06-23-2010 at 10:46 PM.

Fun video idea: get a block of dry ice and see if the laser can cut it in half (outdoors), should be quite the volcanic show..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AnAppleSnail View Post
    maybe cancer several years after exposure
    Especially if you light your cigarets with it.

Quote Originally Posted by SmurfTacular View Post
    I JUST BOUGHT ONE

VIDEO REVIEW PENDINGUpdates

Omg, I can't wait.

Just last week I bought a 500mW 532nm (green) Viasho RPL. I would love to see how these two monster compare.

Insects? More like small rodents!
    Updates please!

A search for the WickedLasers "Arctic" revealed the source of the diode was the Casio GreenSlim ultra-portable projector. Uses both blue lasers and red LEDs plus some fluorescent material on a color wheel that produces green light when exposed to the blue laser's radiation. Rated 2500ansi lumens.

http://www.superslimprojector.com/features

The projector itself costs a grand but further reading found out that it doesn't just have one diode, it has an array of 24.

Now if you take the unit apart, tilt out the array, and bypass the interlocks.......

It really scares me that something this powerful so accessible. The word has spread very quickly, it's up on Gizmodo now, etc. Someone is going to get hurt.

Showed one of my colleagues this morning and he immediately ordered two.

I *think* I just ordered one but no email confirmation. Tried calling them to check on the order and, after 45min on hold, finally got to talk to someone who was able to tell me....

wait for it ....

" We're swamped. Our system is down. Can't tell you anything. Sorry. "
    I pledge to be Shelf Queen-free by 01/01/11. "Use 'em!"
    My Builds: Mag623 ; RoomSweeper Clone

Quote Originally Posted by ejot View Post
    " We're swamped. Our system is down. Can't tell you anything. Sorry. "
    Somebody probably damaged their system with a 1-watt laser..

Also on order. Got 2 sets of glasses in case I'd actually like to show someone. (might want to put the glasses in front of the camera to be safe too ) Got the order confirmation email, so presumably it went through.

Didn't read until later that if you put in the coupon code WLSURVEY you can get 5% off. They give you the coupon code after your order.

Time to stock up on a gross of black balloons.

I just ordered one. It will be stored in my gun safe, becasue it is about as dangerous as a hand gun.
    This line featured in a free UK newspaper today, printrun of 1.3 million. Online version here: http://www.metro.co.uk/news/830936-p...n-sale-for-135

wow

Unenlightened

Jesus, the Metro? Either they just googled lasers and found this place or someone on their staff is a closet flashaholic...

But seriously, its beginning to make national news here in the UK now, so its just a matter of time until it gets brought down by a media pressured legal case. Personally, I can see how peoples gut reaction would be to be scared at such an advanced and effective weapon being available so cheaply. However, there are many websites openly marketing and selling weapons for much less. I cant really foresee a day I arrest someone for carrying one of these, but before I retire I imagine I shall be finding many more swords, hatchets, knives, guns etc etc etc

Flashaholic*

People usually are neo-luddites if they don't allow themselves to think. People probably told the dudes who came up with fire, the wheel, the steam engine and the digital computer that what they were doing was too dangerous for man to handle.

In the mean time automobiles and kitchen knives continue to be vastly more lethal and maiming than this laser.

Quote Originally Posted by BenjiBot View Post
    This line featured in a free UK newspaper today, printrun of 1.3 million. Online version here: http://www.metro.co.uk/news/830936-p...n-sale-for-135

wow
    Damn you! :P I'd just taken a picture of the article in question, I'd forgotten that the Metro puts all their stories on their site...

Flashaholic* was.lost.but.now.found's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    In the mean time automobiles and kitchen knives continue to be vastly more lethal and maiming than this laser.
    The difference is you need a license to drive a car, and a kitchen knife cannot blind or burn someone from who knows how far away, a 100 meters, a mile, more? For a knife to cause significant damage you, generally speaking, must intend to do that damage, not simply press a button.

Word is Alqaida is ordering a bunch to do sabotage in the US.

Think about it, silent but dangerous weapon.

" At this level of irradiance, skin exposure to the intense blue laser light can possibly cause cancer. Do not allow bare skin to be exposed, including your face when wearing safety goggles, to light diffusely reflected from any surface closer than several inches. This laser is a thousand times stronger than sunlight on skin and any type of exposure should be avoided whether it be from the collimated beam or close exposure to its bright diffused reflections."

I predict after a batch of em are sold they will no longer be available.
    Last edited by hugodrax; 06-15-2010 at 09:27 AM.

Old news

BTW, red LED, not LEDs. Talk to some of the GB headers, look like PL red large die.

And I predict this is an intro offer to get these out in the public. Then they'll show up on youtube, but by that time, the intro price of 197 will be gone and it will instead be 1000, like all their other lasers.

Do you know that if you didn't want that 1W of blue but only had $200, you'd have to settle for 0.005W of blu-ray? That's like owning a gun store and saying "you can buy this here .177 Daisy Red Ryder, it's $200. We also just got a shipment of these .50 M82A1's for $200. Take your pick"

I just called Wicked Laser and she told me that they are about a week away from completion so when there website says in stock they are not according to the girl I spoke to. I did not have to wait long to speak to someone I guess they fixed the problem. I also asked if the safety glasses would fit over my glasses and she could answer that question she said call back later and talk to Jim in tech support.
    I Have A High Art: I Hurt With Cruelty Those Who Wound Me. (Archilochus 650BC)

Wow, someone is really going to use one of these in a irresponsible and dangerous way! People will get hurt!

Now ill go out and buy one myself, how friggin cool would i look lighting my cigar with one of these bouncing the beam between mirrors in my room

Quote Originally Posted by hugodrax View Post
    Word is Alqaida is ordering a bunch to do sabotage in the US.

Think about it, silent but dangerous weapon.
    There are better ways. It's not terribly easy to hit someone's eye at sabotage ranges. And the moment you cut it on, bright blue. Thank goodness this laser's in the visible range. UV lasers scare me.

This is crazy. It is MUCH more likely than a handgun to injure someone. A person can be blinded not only by direct exposure, but also by the beam reflecting off any shiny surface. What will they sell next--nerve gas? What is a legitimate use of a laser like this? Screwing around with it to light cigarettes is just nuts. I'm no lawyer but this device sounds like a recipe for what I think is called a "strict liability tort".

I've been reading along and following this too. I have a couple of questions perhaps somebody can answer for me:

1. As asked before me, really, what would you use this for? So far I've heard: to show off, to light a cigar, and burn bugs...

2. Just how dangerous is it? Yes, it could permanetly blind you and burn your skin, but how quickly? Would the laser have to be placed less than an inch away for 10 minutes, or is more like instantainiously up to 100 yards?

3. And this goes along with the other two, will it go through clothes or anything else? Would it be good for self defense?

Forgive me for my ignorance with lasers. I really do not know the answers to these questions. Being compared to a firearm and a cigar lighter are two quite different things.
    Sometimes we don't get what we pray for. Sometimes we get much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin1322 View Post

2. Just how dangerous is it? Yes, it could permanetly blind you and burn your skin, but how quickly? Would the laser have to be placed less than an inch away for 10 minutes, or is more like instantainiously up to 100 yards?
    Instaneous (faster than the blink reflex, that's what makes these things so dangerous), essentially unlimited distance, including reflections off things.
    3. And this goes along with the other two, will it go through clothes or anything else? Would it be good for self defense?
    Probably useless, like sticking a pin in the person. If you want a handgun, buy one and get proper training in using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin1322 View Post
    You can instantly and permanently blind anyone whose eyes you can touch with the beam. I'd call that 'excessive force.' It puts 1 watt of heat on a small spot - I'm not sure exactly how fast that will burn, but I can feel the heat from a 3-watt flashlight if I touch the bezel to my skin.

It is probably not easy to hit someone with this. Also, it may not be instant blindness, but their retina will be damaged and they will go blind over the next dozen hours from momentary exposure.