First decent knife suggestions

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all, this is one of my first forays into this section of CPF. My birthday is coming up in about two months, and I was thinking of getting myself a small fixed blade knife for camping. I have been using a Gerber Air Ranger, with the partially serrated blade. I really like it, it's a solid knife, and has a good "feel" in my hand.

I've also been using a CRKT M16-10KZ, which I don't like. It's seems too "tacti-cool"for me, and doesn't have the same heft as the Gerber. My parents bought it for me as a new knife to be safer with, after I had an accident at Boy Scout camp a few years ago... Basically, I was wittling, and using the knife I had improperly, and undid the lock accidentally and nearly lopped off my right index finger... I sliced through a bunch of tendons, and into the first joint. Had some surgery, a bunch of stitches, learned to write (really badly) with my left hand, and am finally back at about 95% original strength and flexibility some 5 years later.

Anyway, ever since this accident, I've been a little wary of folders. The CRKt has two locks, which my parents wanted... The Gerber still has only one lock, but it actually takes some effort to slide it over to unlock it. So, I'm looking at a small fixed blade to use as a general purpose knife for camping, around the house, etc...

I know next to nothing about knives, the pro's and con's of different metals, etc. And I generally sharpen my knives on a bench grinder (which works pretty well, at least so far), so this knife needs to stand up to some abuse. I can't go crazy expensive, but could manage up to about $125... I would have thought spending more than $50 on aknife was crazy, or on anything for that matter, until about a year ago, when I joined this forum...

I was looking around at a few sites I know of, and stumbled across this Stider fixed blade for $100 at TAD Gear.com http://www.tadgear.com/shop.php?id=9 Unfortunately, it says they're sold out. Is this available elsewhere?

I also like this one (also from Strider): http://www.striderknives.com/site/i...flypage&product_id=31&category_id=4&Itemid=26

From what I've read, Strider is a well respected manufacturer, so I'd be willing to shell out for a $100 knife from them. Other than this one, can anyone give me a good suggestion for a first knife?

My only real requirements are:
-drop point
-full tang, if it has scales on the handle
-blade length of less than 4" Overall length under 8" is needed
-durable, good quality, decent warranty if possible
-non serrated blade
-less than $125

Thanks all!

steveG

Enlightened
I've carried an Emerson Commander virtually every day for over 8 years. Every once in a while I decide I need new knife and after looking at a bunch of different blades I end up on the Emerson website again. It seems silly to replace an Emerson with an Emerson so I keep carrying the one I already own.

The wave opening feature is key and I'm absolutely hooked on it. I don't want a folder without it now. I am not easy on my knife and cut anything and everything with it. Aside from my poor sharpening skills it's just as good as the day I bought it.

You can find them on ebay for very close to $125.

By the way, damn you for posting this! I went on ebay and found an auction for an Emerson with a shoulder holster which I've wanted since I bought the knife.

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm liking the RAT Izula. Also the RC-4, unfortunately, the RC-3/4 exceed my maximum length/blade length requirements... Too bad, they looked nice.

guyg

Newly Enlightened
Buck Vangard, Buck Woodsman, Buck Alpha, Those all meet your specs.A used Chris Reeve Shadow III may be available some place or the Inyoni(new 175$) I'll add more as i think of them.Check Cabellas or Bass pro shop, some times they have upgraded Bucks at a pretty good price.

Heyday

Newly Enlightened
I would go with the Izula.

You may also want to check out the HEST from the ESEE DPx line.

ESEE is the best fixed blade you can get in that price range, IMO.

phoenix1

Newly Enlightened
Go to the A. G. Russel website. If you can't find a knife you like there, you won't ever find one. They are an A-1 American company and stand behind the products they sell. Very nice people.
Phoenix1

carrot

Flashaholic
Izula is an excellent choice.

You should also look at Bark River Knives, they make excellent EDC knives. I enjoy carrying my Micro Tusk.

Personally I wouldn't go for a Strider because I prefer thinner blades that offer higher cutting performance.

nitesky

Newly Enlightened
This is a little late but check out the Tiger Knapp from Blind Horse Knives if you don't mind carbon steel. They also make other very good knives. Good luck.

Noctis

Enlightened
Never did any serious camping, so I'm not too sure what you'd use it for.

My current EDC is a Spyderco Endura ZDP-189, an older model that had an unnecessarily thick blade, so I had it regrinded to a Full Flat Grind blade profile, which makes it a hell of a lot thinner and much more efficient at cutting.

The blade is ridiculously hard at HRC 62+, and while it's a "stainless" steel, it does rust like a carbon steel knife. It can be sharpened to a razor thin edge and eat up cardboard without significant dulling. But it's brittle and will chip easily if you abuse it. Still, that doesn't happen with my use. Sharpening is a real pain because of the high hardness of the steel.

You can try a Caly3 on eBay at about $120. It's a laminated blade, so it might be more resistant to rust. Plus the knife seems better balanced.

Personally, I bought a Manix 2 with CTS-XHP steel to replace it. It isn't as hard at around HRC 60-62, but it's much more stain resistant and easier to sharpen. The handle is much more solid than my Endura.

Also, since you have a bench grinder, I would recommend trying out the paper sharpening wheels here:
http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2000219/Razor-Sharp-Edgemaking-System.aspx

You might not need the grit wheel(might be cheaper than replacing a grinding stone though), but the slotted polishing wheel is where magic happens. Most knives I thought were dulled out simply needed a minute on the slotted wheel, and I could shave with it. I think once you have a razor sharp knife and attempted other methods of getting that edge, you'll appreciate how fast and easy the paper wheels makes it. You'll want to sharpen every knife in your kitchen to that shaving sharp edge, and it won't be long before you ask your neighbors if they need their knives sharpened:poke:.

Numb

Newly Enlightened
Most bang for the bucks is without a doubt the Mora knives.
When Im out in the woods I usually carry a Mora 2000 /2010 or a fällkniven F1 and a izula, vic spartan or a spyderco as a backup.

/N

TriChrome

Enlightened
If you're looking at Striders, Emersons and the like I feel like I have to mention Busse knives. On places like BladeForums.com (great site for everything with an edge) they're considered, if not the best by most people, then at least one of the best production knife makers in the world (and they're made in the US).

...but since they're over your price range (unless you get a used one for a great price), I would mention Busse's sister companies Swamp Rat and Scrap Yard. Lower price (with no collectors making the prices skyrocket like Busse's) but still excellent quality.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Bang for the buck....Mora's.

Overall favorite that's close to your requirement is the Rat RC-3. It's only just a hair over 8" in AOL but provides more capability than the Izula. There's nothing like having true handle that's durable, comfortable, and affords some extra leverage. It would be considered on the small side for camp craft where the Izula in many ways is below the minimum size boundaries for camp craft and the all around knife that you're looking for.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
ESEE HEST, ive played with mine all morning. I can see why folks were recommending it to me now. Its right at 7 3/4 inches, the sharpened part of the blade is right at 3 inches. Hehe so far I have hacked tree limbs, used the pry end to pull off a stubborn hub cap and cut other assorted things with it just because I could. I paid 91.97 for this one, shipping included. Their warranty is simply for the life of the knife, no questions asked. Screw it up and they will replace/repair it. At first when ordering it, was afraid it would be to small, but for an edc, all around knife its just right. Came with a slick kydex sheath, a short lanyard with a washer attached for unscrewing the handle screws for access to the little compartment in the center. The handles are also hollowed out, increasing the compartment size a bit. Good place for some matches or a sharpening stone. The blade is considerably thicker than I thought it would be too, I think you would really have to be doing something odd to damage it. I also tried to fillet my hand with a folder, so moved to these recently. So take it for what its worth in the short time I have had it, less than a day really. But RAT, now ESEE has a solid reputation backing it up I think. Not sure you could do much better for the money.

cal..45

Enlightened

I agree, the BK-11 becker-necker is undoubtely the best bang for buck. it's my favorite edc knife now, after reprofiling the edge. the 1095 steel gets wicked sharp and is easy to sharpen:

289021f9.jpg

764784ee.jpg

closely followed by the spyderco pacific salt. this is truly a "fire and forget" knife. the H1 steel is awesome, it does not stain or rust (not even with sweat on the edge!), is as easy to sharpen as 1095 and it gets also as sharp. i find it superior over VG-10 steel, a real workhorse:

2554b176.jpg

522ebaa8.jpg

cheers