two new flashlights I completed

jason 77

Enlightened
I just completed two new flash lights, one modified, one homemade..

First is the modified light.

Harbor Freight has this flashlight for sale for like 4-6 bucks, it caught my eye because of the way the entire thing could be taken apart.

img0914c.jpg

img0915mr.jpg

img0919o.jpg

I used a cree Q5 and a 18650 I pulled from a laptop battery pack. the optic is like DX 1917 and fit perfectly in the head of the flash light.

bored out the switch assy to accept the battery
img0922i.jpg

img0923.jpg

crude heatsink for the LED.. I will try a different approach next time...
img0920q.jpg

lens assembly
img0926y.jpg

not centered at all.... like I said it was a crude attempt lol
img0927u.jpg

putting it together
img0924e.jpg

img0925w.jpg

This was going to be a lot neater of a job and incorporate a driver from the sandwich shoppe but it wasn't going very well and I was having "one of those days" so it turned into a direct drive...
img0935w.jpg

And a crappy beam shot, the picture doesn't do it justice as the light from the flashlight is quite bright and has a huge spread. Perfect for working up close in the dark.

img0944qo.jpg

The next light I made from a fancy 19 pin female pin connector my brother had given me..

this is the male end of the connector
img0942cc.jpg

I drilled, pulled, chiseled out all the guts out of the connector and fabricated a lens cover, spacers, small heat sink, and managed to stuff a switch from the clicky switch I had destroyed from another flashlight. here are pictures of all the bits. I used a little 10180 rechargeable battery and a warm white rebel led as well.
img0937d.jpg

img0936c.jpg

showing the size of the thing.
img0940qr.jpg

an attempt to show the output from it.

off
img0945kq.jpg

on
img0946oy.jpg

img0948.jpg

img0947e.jpg

on my keychain
img0941r.jpg

jeffosborne

Enlightened
Well done, jason77! I especially like the small light, made from the connector shell. You are thinking outside the box with that one. For the larger light with the 18650 battery, have you measured the current? It could vary with the forward voltage bin of that particular emitter. I am sure it lights up the room well. Cheers, Jeff

jason 77

Enlightened
Well done, jason77! I especially like the small light, made from the connector shell. You are thinking outside the box with that one. For the larger light with the 18650 battery, have you measured the current? It could vary with the forward voltage bin of that particular emitter. I am sure it lights up the room well. Cheers, Jeff

Thanks for the complement...

I just measured it... it is drawing a little over 1 amp.

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jason,

Nice work on your two lights.

I just hacked a similar 3XAAA 9LED light w/ an 18650 and a XRE Q3 w/ single mode DX driver [#25505]. A good "toss-around" light.

I love your little "jack" light, very clever and very nicely made. Thanks for the peek at your work.