ArmyTek
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ryobi 35W, 18V HID

Default Ryobi 35W, 18V HID

I was at my local Home Depot tonight picking up parts for a MAG-MR16 flood light.

In the tool corral they had a Ryobi 18V HID spotlight. Reflector size is about the same size as the stanley. It accepts their standard Lithium 18V pack, package specs claimed 2800 Lumens and 60 minute run time. Nice thing about it though is that the cells are easily (and relatively cheaply) swapped in/out in the field.
    Price was $49, but that does not include the charger + battery

Looks like a nice alternative to the stanley for the budget conscious HID crowd wanting longer run times.
    Last edited by kramer5150; 06-12-2010 at 10:19 PM.
    CLICK HERE for my flashlight reviews.
    PAUL KIM... AN INDUSTRY GENIUS

Default Re: Ryobi 35W, 18V HID

I found 2 for sale on Ebay, but it isn't listed on the Ryobi website (it may be there, but I couldn't find it in a logical place).

Flashaholic* was.lost.but.now.found's Avatar

Man, I wish this had been out a few months ago, I would much rather have this one than the spotlight I have.

Anyway, a scouring of the web (including Home Depot's site) and I can only find this thing at the 'bay for $65+. How much was it in the store? I may have to swing by there tomorrow for a look.

OP stated $49. I might be by HD tomorrow...I'll have to look around.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofwylietx View Post
    OP stated $49. I might be by HD tomorrow...I'll have to look around.
    , I shouldn't be posting so late at night.

Stopped by Home Depot today:
    Light: $49.00
    18V Battery: $39.00
    Charger: $29.00

Looks o.k. for a work light, but I don't think it is water resistant based on how the battery pops into the bottom of the handle.

Total weight for Light and Battery is close to 5 lbs in my opinion.

Flashaholic*

Wait a minute...pops in thebottom, is this part of the One+ system?
    I have a number of those tools ad batteries.....I think I "need" another!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by smokelaw1 View Post
    Yes that it what it sounds like. It's definitely going to be a better deal for CPFers already on the Ryobi One+ system.

Quote Originally Posted by stollman View Post
    Stopped by Home Depot today:

Looks o.k. for a work light, but I don't think it is water resistant based on how the battery pops into the bottom of the handle.

Total weight for Light and Battery is close to 5 lbs in my opinion.

Dang, I have the lithium One+ system.........but my visit to [my local] Home Depot came up with nothing. They didn't have it, or even a place for it. Argh.

Quote Originally Posted by smokelaw1 View Post
    OOps looks like I forgot one little detail.

The battery pack loads and unloads through the handle, just like most of the hand tools in the series. If you already have the charger + cells, it looks like a nice setup. Field replaceable cells could make it a nice alternative to the Stanley.

Note its not this light here. The light I saw is green and black.
    Last edited by kramer5150; 06-30-2010 at 06:45 AM.

Flashaholic*

If it's 4200K you have my attention.
    ampdude

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by was.lost.but.now.found View Post
    Yes that it what it sounds like. It's definitely going to be a better deal for CPFers already on the Ryobi One+ system.
    I can't find it anywhere. It sounds like a great addition to the system, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ampdude View Post
    If it's 4200K you have my attention.
    Unfortunately, it's more of a 6000k or higher. Still very bright and even with the big 4.5ah lion not too heavy. Hopefully we can figure out a way to swap in a 4200k bulb, as I feel that would make this a great light.

Here is some info, looks like Home Depot has them on sale. They are in the flashlight area as opposed to with the Ryobi One+ tools.

http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/po...lifestyle/P716

Last edited by Daylo; 06-20-2010 at 10:46 PM.

They have these at my local Home Depot also. Since I have two 18v Ryobi Li-ion extended batteries already I might have to pick one of these up. We shall see. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Daylo View Post
    ..........in the flashlight area as opposed to with the Ryobi One+ tools.

Dang.....now I have to go back and look again.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by kingofwylietx View Post
    Dang.....now I have to go back and look again.
    Check your IMs.

mm

Edited to add: Geez! How do you get that thing out of the packaging without seriously injuring yourself?
    Last edited by mm38; 06-28-2010 at 10:16 AM.

Flashaholic*

My wife picked one up as a gift to me for Father's Day. I have a bunch of the Ryobi 18v tools and batteries so this is a great addition.
    It seems to be on par with the Stanley HID but a little brighter and not quite as much throw.

hmmm.... I wonder how hard it would be to modify it to work with Makita's LXT lith ion batteries...

Greetings!
    Would you be able to provide some beamshots and/or comment on the runtime? Learning about HID only recently, does this give max output over it's runtime then shut off or does it decay immediately like the old alkaline incand?

Best regards

Quote Originally Posted by 357mag1 View Post
    My wife picked one up as a gift to me for Father's Day. I have a bunch of the Ryobi 18v tools and batteries so this is a great addition.
    It seems to be on par with the Stanley HID but a little brighter and not quite as much throw.

I noticed my Home Depot just got 'em in this week. I would love to see some beam shots. Why is it only 2800 lumen...I thought 35w HID was more like 3200+?

Very tempting, considering I'm about to spend around $200 to rebuild my broken X990....
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Quote Originally Posted by stollman View Post
    The 18v lithium battery is $89/each according to homedepot.com. With the charger that's more than twice the cost of the light!

Looking at the ONE+ batteries, I'm guessing the NiCd style are Sub C cells, in which case you could easily build a 5000mAh NiMh battery pack. That should be around a 2 hour run time...

Flashaholic

Before the HID flashlights cam out i made some of my own LED flashlights. I love them and use them more often then i could imagine!
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=218092

Since then i've upgraded them to 4 x XPG LED's and its bright. I love it because its a total flood light lighting up the entire room your working in.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by BatteryCharger View Post
    The 18v lithium battery is $89/each according to homedepot.com. With the charger that's more than twice the cost of the light!

Looking at the ONE+ batteries, I'm guessing the NiCd style are Sub C cells, in which case you could easily build a 5000mAh NiMh battery pack. That should be around a 2 hour run time...
    Twin-packs of the 18V lithium batteries were $89 each. The NiCd batteries were $39 each.

mm

Quote Originally Posted by BatteryCharger View Post
    ... thats about right. (*EDIT* I am speculating so take this with a grain of salt) I am guessing theres nothing groundbreaking or technologically advanced about the light itself. The Chinese lamps and ballasts are carry over from the aftermarket automotive industry. 35W HID kits can be bought for as low as $50, and thats for the PAIR (2 lamps + 2 ballasts). My 55W kit was $69 shipped from a USA retail location... I could have saved some $ if I bought it from overseas.

Its the Li-Io cell chemistry, charger, cell protection circuitry and field replaceable form factor that makes this setup unique.

Replacement battery packs (even at $89 / pair) are considerably cheaper than the other 35W HIDs.
    Last edited by kramer5150; 06-29-2010 at 09:06 PM.

I'm guessing $89.99 for a pair of lithium batteries is a short deal, if not already over, to get people to switch to the new lithium tools. Like I said, the website says you only get 1 for that price, and I can pick it up at the store. Doubtful the store has a better deal, though I'll check tomarrow because if I can get TWO for that price then those + the light seems like a good deal. I was already thinking about some other ONE+ tools anyway...

As far as modders are concerned, you would be better off buying old NiCd packs and rebuilding them with NiMh cells @ 5000Ah (more than twice the lithium battery) at a cost of around $75.

I think this whole move to lithium by Ryobi for the ONE+ system is a lame marketing gimmick, at only 2.4ah. You can do that with NiCd cells for way less money. Their lithium packs should be closer to 6ah given how large they are.

Can anybody confirm if normal NiCd ONE+ packs have sub C cells inside? Or for that matter, what cells are in the lithium battery?
    Last edited by BatteryCharger; 06-29-2010 at 10:33 PM.

This is the only 18v lithium battery I can find on their website:
    http://www.homedepot.com/Ryobi/h_d1/...atalogId=10053

Ironically, they have a variety of garden tools for $99 that also come with a lithium battery and charger...

Guys keep in mind a couple things:

• If you are just coming on board to the lithium system, you still need to buy a charger that is compatible with li-ion. The charger that most likely came with your One+ Ni-Cad tool kit will only charge Ni-Cad and will not be compatible with li-ion (nor NiMH for anyone wanting to rebuild a pack).
    • Any 18V One+ Ni-Cad battery will still fit the Ryobi HID, it just won't last a full hour per the li-ion time spec. Pure guess, but I'd imagine you'll still get at least 30 minutes or so on Ni-Cad.
    • IMHO it is useless to try and make a cost comparison between an extra One+ battery (regardless of chemistry) and the cost of a replacement SLA cell or any other rebuilding of a give battery pack. The lure of this setup is that you have a backup (or two) on hand and can swap out batteries in seconds. Please don't misconstrue my thoughts to think that I'm calling this a SAR worthy light.

Thanks to a tip from MM38, I picked one up yesterday. It is very bright, certainly as powerful as my plug-in handheld spotlights. The beam has a large hotspot and seems like it will suite my purposes. Like other HID's, it does take a few seconds to ramp up to full power.

Quote Originally Posted by was.lost.but.now.found View Post
    [*]IMHO it is useless to try and make a cost comparison between an extra One+ battery (regardless of chemistry) and the cost of a replacement SLA cell or any other rebuilding of a give battery pack. The lure of this setup is that you have a backup (or two) on hand and can swap out batteries in seconds. Please don't misconstrue my thoughts to think that I'm calling this a SAR worthy light.[/LIST]
    I agree with this comment... I was trying to say the same thing, but I'll just quote you instead. I am not in favor of this light, or saying this is a great product one way or another. I'm merely pointing out that it is a new option to consider.