PK Design Lab
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 108

Thread: Ryobi 35W, 18V HID

  1. #61
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    LI, NY
    Posts
    115

    Default Re: Ryobi 35W, 18V HID

    The reply that I got from Ryobi is that there are no known problems that they know of or that have been reported except by me. (I'm kinda doubting that one.)

    They say it's possible that I just got three bad ones. ( Yea, and I gotta bridge for sale here in NY cheap...any takers)

    I was travelling, so the three bad lights were from three different Home Depots in three different cities. Lucky me just happened to buy the only bad P716's in each store.

    Oh well, I saw a good price for some scratch an dent Epsilon EP-71's in the maketplace. I just might have to try those.

  2. #62

    Default Re: Ryobi 35W, 18V HID

    What kind of batteries are you using DEEUUBEE? Lithium or Ni-cad

  3. #63

    Default Re: Ryobi 35W, 18V HID

    Damn you guys, everytime I enter to this forum, I end up buying buying all the new toys you put on here.

    and I think its a no brainer for me to buy this HID spotlight also, I already own the Stanley but I have 6 18v batteries and over 7 ryobi 18v tools.

    Time to use the credit card again hehe.

  4. #64
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: Ryobi 35W, 18V HID

    I got mine from Home Depot and tried it on 12 volts yes it does work on 12 volts! Ive been through 2 Wally World Stanlies one with the dimmer and one without both had bad ballasts! The sardine can ballast Stanley uses is crap because they pot it with this rubbery substance that actually traps heat.The Ryobi has a alumminum ballast case that dissipates heat well and is built of higher quallity.The Ryobi I have also has a softer startup witch is better for for all three Battery Bulb and Ballast!The Ryobi also doesn't seen to overdrive the bulb even at a coldstart or a hot restrike like the Stanley does.Thats a good thing! I will be posting pics soon.

  5. #65
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    LI, NY
    Posts
    115

    Default Re: Ryobi 35W, 18V HID

    OK...I broke down and bought another one.

    Forth one has to be a charm.
    I really want this to be reliable, because I have so many Ryobi One tools & batteries.

    I have to admit...Home Depot has not given me any grief about swapping them out.
    I've swapped them out at different stores and bought the forth one at a different store also. Maybe I got a bad run of luck with the first three.

    Anyone else besides me have a problem with it?

    I'm using new P100 Ni-CD's. When the Lithiums become more realistically priced, I'll switch over.

    So far I have used this new light for a week and have had no problems either continuous or intermitant use.
    If it makes it through the week I'll consider it OK.

    I'll put up the Beamshots tomorrow. I have to load them on the host first.

  6. #66

    Default Re: Ryobi 35W, 18V HID

    Buying one today also, I like that the battery is not in top like the stanley, the stanley is to heavy on top.

  7. #67
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    102

    Default Re: Ryobi 35W, 18V HID

    Quote Originally Posted by BatteryCharger View Post
    This is the only 18v lithium battery I can find on their website:
    http://www.homedepot.com/Ryobi/h_d1/...atalogId=10053

    Ironically, they have a variety of garden tools for $99 that also come with a lithium battery and charger...
    I just read the user review's from the above link... a lot of problems

  8. #68
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    LI, NY
    Posts
    115

    Default Re: Ryobi 35W, 18V HID

    OK, So far so good with the forth one. I just must have had that dark cloud over me for a while.

    Here are the beamshots comparing the Ryobi 35W to my AE xenide 20W and 35W/28W generic Chinese HID.

    If anybody's interested, I'll do longer shots.






    Fixed links - click beamshots to open full size
    Ae Xenide 20W Ryobi 35W

    Generic 28W Spot Generic 28W Flood

    Generic 35W Spot Generic 35W Flood
    Last edited by deeuubee; 10-23-2010 at 12:11 PM. Reason: fixed links

  9. #69

    Default Re: Ryobi 35W, 18V HID

    Quote Originally Posted by smokelaw1 View Post
    Wait a minute...pops in thebottom, is this part of the One+ system?
    I have a number of those tools ad batteries.....I think I "need" another!!!!
    I just saw and on inpulse bought one, $49
    have chargers and several batteries already. sorry will do my best to review his but limited lights of this style.

  10. #70

    Default Re: Ryobi 35W, 18V HID

    A great camping light I'd guess the tint is 6k, I like it close to my prius tint. might be fun to try a cooler bulb. beam isn't too tight migh need some focusing work. by far the bightest light I opwn now. was jonesing for a hid light. picked up a stanly halogen 6v spot, pretty nice light, but nowhere near this one. hope it holds up. suspect home depot will honor any issues. however if it proves too much trouble they can always drop it.

  11. #71

    Default Re: Ryobi 35W, 18V HID

    Quote Originally Posted by HIDaddict View Post
    I got mine from Home Depot and tried it on 12 volts yes it does work on 12 volts! Ive been through 2 Wally World Stanlies one with the dimmer and one without both had bad ballasts! The sardine can ballast Stanley uses is crap because they pot it with this rubbery substance that actually traps heat.The Ryobi has a alumminum ballast case that dissipates heat well and is built of higher quallity.The Ryobi I have also has a softer startup witch is better for for all three Battery Bulb and Ballast!The Ryobi also doesn't seen to overdrive the bulb even at a coldstart or a hot restrike like the Stanley does.Thats a good thing! I will be posting pics soon.
    I've been playing with mine every night, no problems, however noticed one old battery has diminished capacity. might pick up a two pack of fresh batteries.

  12. #72

    Default Re: Ryobi 35W, 18V HID

    Thought about getting one of these because I have the other tools already, however have read some bad remarks on it. Anyone else having problems

  13. #73
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    LI, NY
    Posts
    115

    Default Re: Ryobi 35W, 18V HID

    It is always possible that I got the only 3 bad ones out there at first.

    I have been using the light daily for a week now trouble free, so I have to change it's status back to "keeper"...

    The beam is plenty wide enough to light up a large area at a distance.

    I have been using it as an area light a night to finish up some after dark projects.

    I have also been using it like a flashlight instead of a searchlight...meaning lots of on and off cycling. No restart problems at all.

    It is very comfortable and balanced like using a drill. One of it's best features is that when the battery runs down, you just pop another one in.

    Unlike the Stanley that has to be plugged in and recharged...leaving you without a light for a while.

    Like I said, having a lot of Ryobi One stuff, I really wanted this to work out.

    Unlike other HIDs I have tried or read about, this one is affordable, mainstream, parts or replacement readily available, and most of all, it is one of the cheapest HIDs around.

    I'm hoping the lithium batteries go on sale for the holidays.

  14. #74

    Default Re: Ryobi 35W, 18V HID

    I picked up one of these on my way home from work this afternoon. Although I'm no where near an expert, I was pleased with it. Good price well balanced and plenty of light

  15. #75
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Central Ca
    Posts
    523

    Default Re: Ryobi 35W, 18V HID

    I just got one of these since I jumped on the one+ band wagon. Did anybody source a 4200K bulb?
    Travis

    Various Neutral Tinted Goodness.

  16. #76

    Default Re: Ryobi 35W, 18V HID

    I used mine the other day to punch down a phone board..it was on for 6 hours straight, minus battery changes. It never showed any signs of getting too hot, or not wanting to re-strike. I was using 2 of the fullsize lithiums and the one on the charger was always ready before the one in use went out. The ONLY complaint I have is the 8000k lamp does a great job at washing out the colors of phone wire, I too would like to know if anyone could source a bulb between 3500-4300 kelvin.

  17. #77
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: Ryobi 35W, 18V HID

    I get lucky and here in the upstate of South Carolina TTI(Ryobi) owns and old NCR plant and they have a refurb sale about once a quarter. I picked up one of the P716 lights for $25 bucks and it is really bright! Other cool thing is They sale kits(Drill, two large lithium batteries, charger, flashlight) for $85. They did have new batteries for $56 each. I did read one post about new battery off the shelf from HD, yes that is $89 for the large lithium battery.

  18. #78

    Default Re: Ryobi 35W, 18V HID

    Anyone use this flashlight still? I have had mine for over a year and all of the sudden for no good reason the light started strobing which with an HID light is no good. I am not sure what this usually signals so I am a little lost here. Anyone know anything that could help?

  19. #79
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: Ryobi 35W, 18V HID

    If you want to take one of these apart it's pretty simple. All you need is a #20 Tamperproof Torx bit. There's a few recessed holes that require a bit of some depth to reach but they're all the same size and all on one side. Price aside, I think it has a handful of merits above the Stanley.

    Most obviously is the size and quality of the ballast. The Stanley has it cheaply submerged in silicone with its numerous bunch of input wires. The Ryobi is a solid, clean design (plus it has variable voltages it'll work with, bulbs with standard lead disconnects, AND in the newer models it comes with a 4300k.) When I say "newer models" I'm just referring to slight variations in the design (I think you have to look for an extra Ryobi sticker on the back) and build-date where they've chosen to incorporate a 4300k.

    There's no goofy dimmer switches or semi-functioning cluster of LED's at the top. With a swappable battery, you don't need downtime waiting for a built-in SLA to charge, and it even has a thermal cut-off attached to the reflector for safety (probably in case it gets left on face down.)

    It'd be great to see these with a little additional engineering (with seals and O-rings) to make them weather/waterproof, a reliable secondary low-level light built-in (if only a forward facing LED), maybe a remaining charge indicator, and selectable intensity.

  20. #80
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arland, TX
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: Ryobi 35W, 18V HID

    Does anyone know what the bulb type is in the light? I still have the older bulb.

    I did smoke the ballast on my first one a few months after purchase. I opened up the unit and could smell something burnt and saw some soot and discoloration on the ballast.


    mm

  21. #81

    Default Are Ryobi One+ 18V HID Lamps any good?

    I was wondering if anyone knows much about these Ryobi One+ CXN180G HID Xenon lights? It is rated at 35 Watts and outputs 2800 lumens. It claims to be 8x brighter than a halogen. How well does it throw and flood?

    Also, the Ryobi CML180G Halogen Spotlight rated at [a higher] 55 Watts, but it only has a 6V halogen bulb. At a higher 55 Watts, what is it's lumen output, and how does the throw and flood compare to their HID Xenon light?

    How do these lights compare with a more conventional Nitecore TM11 Triple XM-L with 2000 lumens, and 286 meters of throw to ANSI standards?





    Ryobi CXN180G HID Xenon with 35 Watts and 2800 lumens.




    Ryobi CML180G Halogen with 55 Watts and a 6V Halogen bulb.









    I have a whole range of Ryobi products, so I find buying these HID/halogen lights potentially useful...
    Last edited by peterharvey73; 03-05-2012 at 03:43 AM.

  22. #82
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    268

    Default Re: Are Ryobi One+ 18V HID Lamps any good?

    Hi there peterharvey73,


    I actually already own both of these lights. I am only a relative newbie, especially when it comes to HID lights (I have 2 other HID lights) and I also do not have any electrical light testing equipment or a good camera (for beamshots) but I can try and answer your questions as best as I can. First off is the Ryobi CML180G halogen light and it looked great when I first saw it in the shop so I bought one but it is not very bright at all. Most of my good quality 2 x CR123 flashlights kill it, so unfortunately there is just no way that I could recommend this light. The Ryobi CXN180G HID light is however a completely different story and even though I have only used it for a couple of brief times, I must say that I am EXTREMELY impressed with it. The whole light and especially the reflector looks very well made and the lamp/bulb is a 4300k H3 and appears to be extremely well centred. It is rated at 2800 lumens but I wouldn't be surprised if it actually even more than this. The beam is a well focussed fairly tight beam and it seems to throw a VERY long way with a nice hot spot. I have also spoken to the Ryobi technicians that actually designed the light and they have told me that when using the smaller BPL1815 1.4Ah "Compact Lithium" battery the run time should be at least 30-40 minutes and with the larger BPL1820 2.4Ah Lithium battery it should be around 60 minutes plus.


    About the only thing that I am not that impressed with is the fact that when you look at it from the front the return wire is in the 3 o'clock position which would mean the shadow will be at the 9 o'clock position however I do not recall noticing it very much the few times that I have used it. I would much rather the return wire be at the 6 o'clock position (shadow at 12 o'clock) but at this stage I am pretty sure that you will need to take apart the whole light to get at the bulb to rotate it. I was going to attempt this but the very high quality screws that hold it together (and there are many of them) are Tamperproof T20 Torx screws which I already have a screwdriver bit for, but due to the fact that the screws are so deeply recessed in to the body my short Tamperproof T20 Torx bit was not long enough to reach them. My local Jaycar store sells ones that should be long enough to reach (here) so I am going to purchase one shortly. I am not sure if all the lights come with the return wire like this or if they just come in a random position and I could not check some of the other lights in the store as all the Ryobi One+ boxes are all heavily glued together and there is no way to open them without completely destroying them which is something I didn't really want to do at the time as I didn't think that the store would really appreciate it. I also asked the designers the question about the return wire positioning although for some reason they could not give me a firm answer.


    The other good thing is that when the light is fitted with the BPL1815 Compact Lithium battery it weighs just about nothing and it is extremely comfortable to hold an not in the least bit tiring. Further to this and like you, I also own many other Ryobi One+ products and due to this fact I already own seven of the BPL1815 Compact Lithium batteries and I have since purchased one of their BCS618G 18v Dual Chemistry 6 Port Supercharger which I cannot recommend highly enough as I can now keep 6 batteries stored in there 24/7 and all are always fully charged and ready for use at any time. With the standard BCL1418 Mono Port charger you ARE NOT meant to leave the batteries on there once they are charged and we have actually had a couple of batteries completely ruined by leaving them on there for several days, which is something that we were initially told by Ryobi was ok to do. Thankfully Ryobi has replaced them under warranty but have told us that we MUST remove the batteries once they are charged and this is now clearly stated in the BCL1418 Mono Port charger instructions. The other good thing about the 6 Port Supercharger is that once the batteries that are stored in it are charged it completely stops any charging and it goes in to an Energy Star Qualifying energy saving "standby mode" which uses almost no power whatsoever and this mode is shown by a slowly pulsating blue light. The charger will also automatically come back on once every several days or alternatively if it senses that any of the batteries require topping up. It also has another feature which comes in handy if you are about to have a session of heavy battery usage and it is that the pulsating blue light is also a button and if you press it momentarily it will "wake up" the charger which will then go through and make sure that each individual battery is at peak charge. The only slightly down side is that it can only charge one battery at a time however if you are like me and have more than enough batteries this will not be an issue.


    Just to sum it up I really love this light and just how well it is put together and performs, especially considering the price and I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone that asked. I usually would of got to use this light much more but we recently had the police helicopter hovering very low over our and our neighbours houses for 50 minutes and shining its "Night Sun" searchlight and there were police everywhere and even though they would not tell us exactly what was happening I did manage to find out a little from one police sergeant who said to me and I quote "It is an emergency situation and all that I can say is that it is something to do with someone shining lights". Now this had absolutely nothing to do with me and I suspect that it may have been a peeping tom shining their lights in someones window or possibly even someone shining a laser at an aircraft but due to this very recent event I have been feeling a little paranoid about shining all my mega bright HID lights everywhere and accordingly I've had to keep a very low profile with my lights for the past few days.


    Lastly even though I am a relative newbie and for the above reasons I haven't yet got to use my new Ryobi One+ HID light as much as I would have liked to, I really hope that this information has been both informative and of some assistance to you and if you do have any other questions whatsoever please don't hesitate to ask or even PM me. Due to the fact that I am in Australia and as I finish typing this it is now 2.40am (my wife is gonna kill me) and I better hit the sack now otherwise I would have gone outside with all my HID lights and done a few more tests/comparisons but I will try and do this over the next day or two (police helicopters excepted) and if I can I will post some extra info. I have only got your normal sort of run of the mill automatic camera (good quality Canon Ixus though) and I have never ever attempted to take any "beamshots" or anything like it but if there is something in particular that you would really like to see then just ask me and all I can do is try my best. Once again I hope that I have been of some assistance and I look forward to your response.



    Sincerely Yours
    Phil Ament
    Last edited by Phil Ament; 04-06-2012 at 10:11 AM. Reason: typo

  23. #83
    Flashaholic* AnAppleSnail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    South Hill, VA
    Posts
    3,971

    Default Re: Are Ryobi One+ 18V HID Lamps any good?

    Most places have a generous return policy. Buy it, carefully unbox and try it out, then decide whether or not to keep it.

    Edit: It's been pointed out to me that opening a Ryobi box will leave it in a condition akin to having gnawed through the cardboard. You wouldn't have an easily-returnable package if you tried this.
    Last edited by AnAppleSnail; 03-05-2012 at 11:16 AM.
    My biggest light-hog is my camera.

  24. #84
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    268

    Default Re: Are Ryobi One+ 18V HID Lamps any good?

    Hi AnAppleSnail


    Whilst what you say is true unfortunately all the Ryobi packaging is very heavily glued together and it is almost impossible to open them without destroying it to some degree. The few places that I went to were very hesitant to open them and I can understand why as when I purchased mine there is absolutely no way that I would have accepted a previously opened one because from past experiences I would have automatically assumed that it had either been already used, or had some part missing from inside the box or that it was a faulty one that had previously been returned by someone else and either way I would not have wanted to unnecessarily take that gamble. I would also be absolutely flabbergasted if someone actually bought one and then tried it out only to decide that it wasn't worth and to then return it. By the way where are you guys (or girls!) located because I was under the impression that they were only available in Australia and New Zealand. Also I would be very interested to know that if someone else does either get to look at one/some prior to purchasing or even actually buys one, what the return wire positioning is in other ones of this particular light and if anyone else has attempted to rotate the lamp/bulb successfully. Once again though I will state that I really love all aspects of this light, so much so that there is every likelihood that I may even go and buy a second one for myself.


    Sincerely Yours
    Phil Ament


    P.S. The other one that I own, the Ryobi CML180G halogen light reminds me very much of one particular model of my many SureFire flashlights, the E1E. Very nice looking and well made light, total shame about the absolutely dismal output though!
    P.P.S. Written on my Apple 27" iMac i7



    Quote Originally Posted by AnAppleSnail View Post
    Most places have a generous return policy. Buy it, carefully unbox and try it out, then decide whether or not to keep it.
    Last edited by Phil Ament; 04-06-2012 at 10:16 AM.

  25. #85

    Default Re: Are Ryobi One+ 18V HID Lamps any good?

    Thanks for your speedy response Phil.
    I have a Panasonic Torch below.
    It has a xenon bulb, and it performs like an incandescent Maglite.
    The hotspot is yellow [super warm] and tiny, and the flood is super dim.
    However, it throws the hotspot a long long way!
    I purchased an $18 led 13.5mm bulb for the Panasonic 14.4V.
    Now the hotspot is brighter and pure white, but still pretty useless since the hotspot is way way too small; much smaller than an XP-G emitter's hotspot.
    Only having purchased this Panasonic torch and led bulb, do I now realise why LED flashlights must have aluminium bodies, and not plastic hosts.

    Back to the Ryobi, thanks for letting me know that the halogen is a dud; you'ed saved me a lot of money - I don't want another dud like the Panasonic Xenon Torch.
    If it is that bad, I'm not sure why it is rated at 55W, when the HID is rated at only 35W?

    About the Ryobi HID Xenon, it sounds great with 2800 lumens.
    About the 4300k tint; does it appear neutral, or warm like a traditional incandescent, or warm like a car's halogen, or warm like a car's xenon HID bulb?
    You say the HID xenon has a tight hotspot and very good throw.
    How big is the hotspot relative to a typical XP-G, XM-L, or triple XM-L emitter?
    Is the spill very bright too? Like an XM-L or triple XM-L emitter?
    Or is the spill pretty dim like a Maglite incandescent???
    Overall, is this HID Xenon meant to be a flood light, or throw light, or a combination of both?

    Also, isn't it confusing how there is a Xenon Incandescent bulb, and a Xenon HID bulb??
    It's also confusing because xenon, argon, and krypton - are all "halogen" gases, aren't they?








    Last edited by peterharvey73; 03-05-2012 at 07:18 PM.

  26. #86

    Default Re: Are Ryobi One+ 18V HID Lamps any good?

    I have the Ryobi One+ CXN180G HID Xenon light. It has plenty of power (throw and spill) and isn't too heavy. The only downside is having to buy the batteries. IF you already have the battery for something else, o for it. the light easily out throws my M3X and TK 41

  27. #87

    Default Re: Are Ryobi One+ 18V HID Lamps any good?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dougcov View Post
    I have the Ryobi One+ CXN180G HID Xenon light. It has plenty of power (throw and spill) and isn't too heavy. The only downside is having to buy the batteries. IF you already have the battery for something else, o for it. the light easily out throws my M3X and TK 41
    Dougcov, I need the light for house work.
    How well does the CXN flood?
    Does it flood like a triple XM-L, or hopefully even better like a car headlamp, or the street lights, or lights in a tennis court, or football stadium???

  28. #88
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    268

    Default Re: Are Ryobi One+ 18V HID Lamps any good?

    Hi again


    I have just found another thread (here) about this light where there are a lot of very informative posts including some beam shots and some photos of the inside of one that has been pulled apart and it all looks like very good quality. I also noticed that all the part numbers are very different in the US. One person also said that they are available at Home Depot but he also found them much cheaper at Harbour Freight (Quote: "I have found "Ryobi" tools at Harbor Freight for half of what Home Depot is asking for the same thing") although I haven't verified all of this yet. Make sure that you read right through to the end though as one person who had originally said that these lights were great and that he would highly recommend them but he then changed his mind because he seems to have had three faulty ones in a row. He then said he will not be trying a fourth but he couldn't help himself and did end up going to get another one which he has had absolutely no trouble with it and he now classifies it as, and I quote "a keeper ".


    I have also noted that there is some mention of quite a few people having problems with their Ryobi Lithium batteries. I too had a number of faulty ones that Ryobi replaced and I then started to suspect that it was actually the "single port" charger causing the problems so Ryobi ended up replacing that too although I still ended up having a problem or two, however ever since I have purchased the "6 Port Supercharger" several months ago I have had all 6 of my batteries stored in there non-stop and I have not had one problem at all. I am actually about to call one of my contacts who is in a very high position at Ryobi Australia just to try and get some more information about all of this and I will try and post any extra relevant news that I have. Once again I hope that this all helps.


    Sincerely Yours
    Phil Ament

    P.S. I just added the thread link that I originally forgot to include. peterharvey73 I hope that this information is what you are looking for and I hope that it will assist you.
    Last edited by Phil Ament; 03-05-2012 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Added thread link

  29. #89

    Default Re: Are Ryobi One+ 18V HID Lamps any good?

    Quote Originally Posted by peterharvey73 View Post
    If it is that bad, I'm not sure why it is rated at 55W, when the HID is rated at only 35W?
    Because it is a halogen incandescent. HIDs are not incandescent; they use a high voltage arc and are much brighter watt for watt than any filament-type lamp.

  30. #90
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    268

    Default Re: Ryobi 35W, 18V HID

    Hi everyone

    I have only just discovered this thread about the Ryobi HID light. I have one of these as well as about 10 other Ryobi One+ items including garden and power tools as well as several of their different model lights (Halogen, LED, Fluorescent and HID) and I just wanted to let you know what I have experienced. I too have had troubles with several of my Ryobi One+ Lithium batteries which Ryobi has now replaced under warranty. What would happen was that when some of the batteries were put in to the single port charger they would originally charge but then when I came back to get them both the red and the green charger lights would be flashing which is the indication for a "defective" battery, and once this had happened several times the batteries would either go flat prematurely or no longer work at all. After having the batteries replaced under warranty exactly the same thing started to happen again so I began to suspect that it was actually the charger that was faulty and killing the batteries so I contacted Ryobi who then decided to replace my charger under warranty. Unfortunately the same thing started to happen again and when I contacted Ryobi about it they replaced the charger once again but they told me that I MUST remove the batteries from the charger once they were fully charged and that if I "stored" them on the charger that this problem would likely reoccur. They also pointed out (in a very nice way) that the "single port" charger's instructions clearly state that, and I quote "When batteries become fully charged, unplug the charger from the power supply and remove the battery pack" so after being given this information I never stored the batteries on the charger again.

    Since then I have purchased one of the Ryobi One+ 18v Dual Chemistry 6 Port Supercharger (US Product Link, Australian Product Link) which listed in the "features" has the following statement and once again I quote "This is the first charger where it is recommended to leave your batteries on the charger without damaging the cells". Since I originally got this item a few months ago now I have had all 6 of my 1.4Ah Compact Lithium batteries stored on the charger 24 hours a day seven days a week and I have NOT experienced even one single problem. This particular charger has several wonderful features and it not only keeps all the batteries fully charged but it also "conditions" them to keep them all at maximum performance and this seems to have cured ALL my problems however I must add what I consider to be two very important pieces of information.

    1) I HIGHLY recommend this charger if you want to maximise the life of your Ryobi One+ Lithium batteries but PLEASE NOTE that even though it has ports for 6 batteries it can only charge ONE battery at a time, however most times this is not usually a problem at all.

    2) With the many Ryobi One+ tools, batteries and chargers that I have now had for the past 10 months or so I am now of the firm belief that most if not all of my Lithium battery problems have been caused by the "single port" charger. I have now tried at least 7 different ones of this same model charger and I have eventually ended up experiencing the same problems each time. I also feel that this same "single port" charger has done some irreparable damage to several of my Ryobi One+ Compact Lithium batteries that I originally purchased right at the start, but all of my batteries that have only been charged by using the "6 Port Supercharger" have all been performing faultlessly without fail. I have some contacts pretty high up in Ryobi that I am going to touch base with regarding these problems and if I have any extra relevant information I will pass this on to you.

    Lastly I do really love my Ryobi HID light so much so that I may even go back just to purchase a second one for myself. About the only thing that I do not like is the fact that the "return wire" is located at the 3 o'clock position and I had planned to open the light up to rectify this and to turn the lamp/bulb around to the 6 o'clock position so that the return wire shadow will be at 12 o'clock, which to me would make it be in the least noticeable position (correct me if I am wrong). I have also noticed in this thread that the member "Jazz" has already pulled his apart and he has included some really excellent photos that will assist me as opposed to having to open mine up "blind" so to speak. I do have several questions though that I would really appreciate an answer to, and they are as follows:


    1) For any one that either already owns one of these lights or has just had the chance to only look at one, could you please advise me as to the actual "return wire" positioning of their lights or any of the ones that they have only seen.

    2) I am presuming that it is just a matter of revolving the lamp/bulb to the correct position but has anyone actually attempted this. I just wanted to know if it is actually possible to do this or if there are any tabs or anything that may actually prevent this from being done.

    3) Can either "jazz" or anyone else that knows please tell me if I actually need to separate the two body halves to get to the lamp/bulb and if so how or what is the best way to remove the rubber bezel surround and if this is actually required to separate the body of the light.

    4) Can anyone post any actual run times that they have experienced. I currently only have the 1.4Ah batteries but I would be interested to know what the run times are for both the smaller 1.4 Ah "Compact Lithium" batteries as well as for the larger 2.4Ah batteries.

    5) I have had numerous people who are interested in buying one ask me a lot of technical questions about the performance of this light and also descriptions of the beam and what it compares like to other similar lights but being a relative "newbie" I could not really give them the proper answers that they required. Could someone with a little more knowledge/experience please post some descriptive information that I may be able to pass on to them as I (and they) would really appreciate it.

    6) I wish that someone with a lot more technical knowledge than me would pull an old "dead" battery apart with the possible view of using part of the casing to make it in to a sort of a "plug-in" lead type arrangement for use with an external power supply, whether it be just a 12v cigarette lighter plug/adaptor or maybe something else. I am not even sure that this is possible but if it is then that would make this light even far far better, and if anyone can achieve this please let me know!


    Anyway that is all for now and I really hope that any or all of this information has been of some assistance to somebody!



    Sincerely Yours
    Phil Ament
    Last edited by Phil Ament; 03-05-2012 at 10:49 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •