Storacell
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ryobi 35W, 18V HID

Default Re: Are Ryobi One+ 18V HID Lamps any good?

Thanks everyone for your help; I'll look into buying this one...

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by peterharvey73 View Post
    Thanks everyone for your help; I'll look into buying this one...

I truly do believe that you will be extremely happy with this light, especially due to the fact that you already have the other Ryobi One+ stuff so you will only really be outlaying under US$50 just for the light. I have some other HID's that I have paid up to A$250 for and the Ryobi is not only much better made (just look at these pictures of inside the light) but it also kills them in the performance stakes. I hope that some of my information may have been of some assistance to you and I would really love to hear what you think once you actually have the light.

Sincerely Yours
    Phil Ament

HID flashlights have some slight UV exposure concerns. The bulb glass and front glass both remove a lot of UV, so:

If you spend a lot of time around this lamp, you may feel like you have sand in your eyes. This is the beginning of UV exposure (sort of like sunburn on your eyes). I have only experienced this while working with an HID 35W lamp pointed at me, and yours may filter better.

Also, these are darn bright. Don't fire it inside or else your wife may exile you. The concentrated light alone can melt carpet.
    My biggest light-hog is my camera.

Default Re: Ryobi 35W, 18V HID

My wife bought me a new cordless drill today - i managed to convince my wife to add the Xenon (HID) one+ system light in too

I got it all home charged the batterys - plugged one into the light and fired it up
    Its a perfect partner to the maxabeam - a nice floody worklight that will still punch out a couple of hundred metres
    flashlight collector by day
    flashlight user by night

The spill is crushingly bright up close - I can practically flatten grass with the photon pressure; it's brighter than the hot spot of lesser lights.

The beam has a fairly broad corona that's effective at middle ranges - think of the longest line of sight you're likely to get in a suburban backyard, and it's plenty adequate for that. The hot spot has an effective range measured in blocks. I can trivially light up stop signs further than I can read them.

I've never run the battery (I have one large lithium shared among four tools) dry, even with the circular saw. Do I believe the published 60 minute run times? Yes I do. The biggest problem I have is it's brighter than I'd like frequently, and I don't have a diffuser nearly big enough for that crazy rubber shock bezel.

Phil, facing directly into the business end, the return wire is at more or less exactly the 3:00 position.

I've yet to try taking mine down for service, and I'm a bit gun-shy about doing so for kicks while this is still under warranty. Deeuubee had problems, there was apparently a bad batch, and I don't want to get burned. At some point, I'll probably try mounting a 120v step-down transformer and rectifier inside a dead pack, but I have no idea when I'll wear out a pack. Perhaps I'll ask the local battery refurbisher if they have one.

Unenlightened

The Ryobi one+ 18V HID lamps have high intensity beam for nice lighting in dim area which can help for the drivers at the night time.

I have a Ryobi Hid (xenon 35w)

I love it, it's a great light, especially around the house.
    i recently installed a vice on my bench, and I just bounced it off the wall behind the bench (underneath the bench) and it lit up the bottom of the bench nicely so I could see what I was doing.
    same with the i inside of the roofspace when I was putting boxes of junk up there.

As a work light it is great.

Once it's warmed up it will happily reach out across the lake near work, at least 200metres and floods a nice wide area (I was comparing it to a Maxabeam though, so I felt it was very floody, but that is in comparison to the Maxabeam's 1 degree needle of light reaching out all the way across the lake.)

The return wire shadow on both of mine has been on one side of the beam (I can't remember which side at the moment) its not a problem In use though.
    my first one had an issue with the trigger lock, causing it to turn off, Bunnings happily replaced it.

All in all, I'm very happy with it, and I would buy it again.
    I will try and get some beamshots next time I have a quiet night shift at work.

Fwiw - I have 2 of the compact lithium battery's, a drill, impact wrench, circular saw, chainsaw, jigsaw, multitool, palm sander and angle grinder along with the light.
    i bought the light originally, and bought the drill (which I needed anyway, as my old cordless was on its last legs) to get the batteries to run it, and have continued collecting tools as I need them.
    I am pretty happy with all of the one+ range that I have used
    flashlight collector by day
    flashlight user by night

I have one, but want to pencil the beam to as small as possible. I use it to hunt, and need the light to focus the light as far as possible, and to try and not have any washout around the light. I am a light n00b, so any help is appreciated. in the mean time i use it at work (mechanic) and its REALLY bright looking at stuff under a car lol

I've been looking to replace my expired B&W weedeater with one of the ONE+ cordless models and happened to notice the HID spotlight.

From what I'm reading elsewhere, there are no provisions for bulb replacement by the user and it seems prone to breakage (perhaps why the design was seemingly revised). I see in the other thread that someone opened one (presumably with an "I void warranties" bit set), but I'm not seeing any information about replacement bulbs or the like.

Looks really interesting. Suspect I'll plunk down the money anyway since the weedeater needs replacing anyway and it would be nice to have cordless power tools that work...
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

1 or 2 year warranty IIRC on these things.......

Anybody seen these in Europe (Norway)?

Seems tempting since I have quite a bit of One+

Quote Originally Posted by BillSJCA View Post
    I just saw and on inpulse bought one, $49
    have chargers and several batteries already. sorry will do my best to review his but limited lights of this style.
    still on my first one got the ;ion battery band charger charger came with the smaller lion battery. light is still going strong. only get sporadic use lion pack makes it a light weight package.
    would prefer a tighter beam. but light volume is good

I still like it for its cheap price, and decent output.

but i just built a HID hand held spotlight that absolutely SMOKES the light output of the Ryobi. i mean 5-6 times the power
    so this is now a back up to the bat-light i just built lol

Quote Originally Posted by DutchR View Post
    I have one, but want to pencil the beam to as small as possible. I use it to hunt, and need the light to focus the light as far as possible, and to try and not have any washout around the light. I am a light n00b, so any help is appreciated.

They are pre-focused but you might be able to fine tune the hot spot by adding thin washers between the bulb base and the reflector. It will either have the effect of making the center brighter or causing a doughnut hole in the beam. Either way, it's not going to be a dramatic difference. You'll just have to eyeball it while shinning the at a wall if you don't have a light meter.

I really like mine, one big improvement would be a higher quality reflector, it's a shame when everything else about the light seems to be reasonable quality, that they didn't see fit to spend a bit more on the reflector.

Norm

Flashaholic

Can anyone recommend a replacement 4200k bulb for these yet?
    <bunch 'O flashlights>

Quote Originally Posted by Kremer View Post
    Can anyone recommend a replacement 4200k bulb for these yet?
    Not sure what it is H3 ? Ebay...

Home Depot has the new P108 battery with fuel gauge (10 x 18650, P122) on sale for 2 for 1 $99 while supplies last... Very good battery (some early ones were recalled).

$49.50 each for 10 high-amp draw 18650's. These should be able to handle a more powerful ballast easily.

Unenlightened

I bought a P-716 for night hunting and quickly discovered the light was so bright it scared the game off. The light beam was also way too wide. I can live with the wide beam but not the bright white light. Has anyone know of a green or red filter that will fit this light?

Quote Originally Posted by hstansel View Post
    I bought a P-716 for night hunting and quickly discovered the light was so bright it scared the game off. The light beam was also way too wide. I can live with the wide beam but not the bright white light. Has anyone know of a green or red filter that will fit this light?
    If you find one, you might want said filter to be made from glass - there's no small amount of heat being put out by this thing.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234