Newbie: Best home defense flashlight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coclimer

Newly Enlightened
I'd like direction for a handheld light, used with a handgun, in the home, at night. I figure "something bright, floody, easy to hold, and it needs a very fast and simple switch", LED, approx 5-7 inch, 65 lumens min, AA or CR123, cap-switch (although both cap and slider in the same light would be nice), $50-$100, flashlight would get me in the ballpark.

Would like to avoid side-bar discussions and only discuss hardware, kind of like:
- Fenix TK-11
- Eagletac P20C2
- Olight M20 S
- SureFire G2L and 6PL
- 6P host with a M60F or Malkoff MD2 with a M61

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:

rebelproud

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to give you the best advice that I can possibly give.

Set your alarm for 2 a.m. to stimulate you being suddenly awoken by the sound of an intruder making their way toward your bedroom. Now, take that 100 + lumen flashlight of yours and shine it at the doorway of your bedroom. Be prepared for pain, loss of your own night vision, and temporary blindness. You're not going to be able to see a thing. And, if you were in a real life situation, you will have just tipped the odds largely in favor of your attacker.

That is not to say that there are not situations when you could use a weapon light. There are indeed plenty. But, you must practice as you train, and you must know when to use it and when not to use it. I would recommend a good filter to keep on it at most times for being startled in the middle of the night, and to pop the filter off if you are already awake, alert, and you are deciding to investigate or clear the house.

My bed stand light is a surefire kroma set to low red. Anything brighter or whiter destroys my night vision and temporarily blinds me. I would not use a weaponlight coming out of a dead sleep unless it had an equivalent filter on it. And, I would take into consideration the tactical disadvantage of advertising my position if I were not using the light properly, according to the tactical demands of the situation.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Hi there, and :welcome:
To start with, you might find this thread very interesting.

Just an FYI, "home defense" is a tricky topic around here, you might want to have multiple lines of research:
  • Flashlight with characteristics X, Y, & Z
  • Techniques on using a flashlight with a handgun (I've seen some good threads on CPF, the one I linked to above is the first one I came across which appeared to be satisfactory.)
Have you thought of looking into a low-light handgun training course such as this one?
(In case you're curious, here's a link to a related review that GreenLED did a while back.)

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
These threads never go well but I wish you the best of luck.
I'd want something bright, floody, easy to hold, and it needs a very fast and simple switch.

Egsise

Banned
I've searched here on CPF for home defense flashlights, but get discussions on lights mounted on handguns.

I'd like direction for a handheld light, used with a handgun, in the home, at night. .
Prepaid cellphone.

Or any other light source will do to mark you as target.

shipwreck

Enlightened
I'd recommend the Eagletac P20C2 Mk II. I think I paid $68 shipped for it. I liked it so much that I also ordered the tactical version for $84.

However, I find the flood capability on the P model to be a little better. And although the "T" throws a little further, it's not by much. I was SUPER impressed with the 300 lumen out the front output of the P20C2 Mk II (400 lumens actual).

For the money - $68, it's a fantastic deal on the P20C2 Mk II. You can also change the setting to 60 lumens, and get 13 hours of of it instead of the 1.7 hours at the 300 OTF lumens.

I haven't seen a higher lumen output from a name brand flashlight for that amount of money anywhere else.

coclimer

Newly Enlightened
...Have you thought of looking into a low-light handgun training course such as [URL="http://www.oregonfirearmsacademy.com/courses/nightfire.htm" said:
this one[/URL]?

Thank you Kestrel for the site to that school. I never knew so much could be discussed about flashlights! I've lurked for awhile and am gaining an appreciation for the subject. The search ideas you suggest is appreciated; I'll try them.

Thanks Sgt. LED. "I'd want something bright, floody, easy to hold, and it needs a very fast and simple switch." I'll screen on those attributes.

And thanks shipwreck. I'll study the Eagletac P20C2. P for flooding sounds good (per Sgt. LED) and being inside a house, I won't need much throw.

daf3m

Enlightened
I've searched here on CPF for home defense flashlights, but get discussions on lights mounted on handguns.

I'd like direction for a handheld light, used with a handgun, in the home, at night.

I figure an aluminum, LED, approx 5-7 inch, 65-200+ lumens, AA or CR123, cap-switch (although both cap and slider in the same light would be nice), $50-$100, flashlight would get me in the ballpark.

Kind of like:
- Fenix TK-12 or 11
- Fenix LD20
- Fenix TA20
- Tenegy look-alike of the Fenix TK10

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Guns and MUI are not good idea..so have a look on TK11 - 2 modes low-high, cr123 with good throw and spill(R5) .

coclimer

Newly Enlightened
Guns and MUI are not good idea..so have a look on TK11 - 2 modes low-high, cr123 with good throw and spill(R5) .
Thanks, daf3m (is that your password?). Sgt. LED said to keep it simple, too. I searched "MUI" and got "Mechanical User Interface" and a little about "Piston Drive". I gather that all means, keep it simple.

The TK11 is more simple than the TK12, TK20, LD20, and TA20? It appears to have fewer modes. What I cannot tell is if the TK11 is also easier to operate. Is that why you recommend it?

shipwreck

Enlightened
I almost went with the TK11 over the Eagletac P20C2 MK 2. The eagletac does have a low 5 lumen mode, SOS, beacon and strobe - but I like that they are hidden a bit. You don't even have to get into them if you don't want to.

I think the T20C2 and the TK11 probably are very similiar in throw.

I've still thought about getting the TK11 just because I go overboard when I get into something - but for now, its too similar to what I already have. The next light I get will be a very, very bright one.

daf3m

Enlightened
Multi User Interface i suppose fits ok.
TK11 uses a straight forward clickie with momentary function .240 lumens on high (R2 emitter) with good throw or 285 lumens (R5 emitter) with good spill .I suppose indoors good spill is usefull.
You turn the head around 10 degrees and you get low which is ~65 lumens.
Also it's size is perfect for my hand .I suppose the same would be for yours.

TK20 is a warm tint flashlight but it is bulkier (2AA) and it is not so well balanced.No way to use it with a gun effectively. Same goes for TA20.

TK12 is a TK11 multi-moded(ok with some exterior differences) .But what happens if you needed on high and it is on low .Then you must follow the protocol and change mode .You lose seconds at a critical moment.

Further more i like simple things.The less chips included the better.

carrot

Flashaholic
I'll just copy my reply here from your other thread:

Look at the Quark 123-2 Tactical or AA-2 Tactical. You can set two output levels so that there is no fiddling later. One lower level for indoors and a higher output level for outdoors. It has a momentary switch as required of a room clearing light and also can click on for constant output if you so require.

cm_mtb

Enlightened
Simplicity is required for a HD flashlight. I would suggest only one mode, and a momentary-only tailcap switch. It is very easy to accidentally "click" a light on in a stressful situation when you only wanted a momentary burst of light.

Check out the SureFire G2L and 6PL. The 6P meets your criteria for an aluminum body, but the Nitrolon (polymer) body of the G2 is still extremely durable. The LED in these lights is rated at 80 lumens. SureFire recently released a LED bezel upgrade for the above lights that puts out 120 lumens. Keep in mind that these are out the front ratings, not the inflated ratings of many other manufactures.

Another option is to watch the marketplace for a G2L host (just body and bezel, with no LED), and buy a Malkoff M60 or M60L on the marketplace as well. This is a very durable and popular LED dropin.

Take into account that anything over 100 or so lumens will appear very bright after waking up in the middle of the night, and you can potentially blind yourself, not just the BG, for at least a few seconds from the back scatter of the light reflecting off walls, windows, etc.

As others suggested, look into some low-light training with a flashlight.

shipwreck

Enlightened
I was using my Inova T2-MP - which was super simple with just 1 level all the times... 140 lumens. I was satisfied with its brightness until I got the Eagletacs.

However, with just the 1 level, i found it was TOO bright for indoor use when you first wake up and grab the light to see something. AFter a couple times of that, I decided to get something with at least two brightness levels. The P20C2/T20C2 MK 2 also goes from 300 to 60 by just turning the head. I leave the one in my nightstand set at 60 lumens by default.

And the one I EDC is set to 300 lumens by default.

coclimer

Newly Enlightened
Rebelproud... I missed your post above; posts have been coming fast, and I'm trying to read up on each suggestion at the same time. Appreaciate yours and others comments about the need for low light. This was not obvious to me; seemed like more was better. BTW: I hope this thread stays on track about flashlights only... and avoids the "how to clear a room" and "the castle-doctrine", etc. info.

Kestrel... I read the "Flashlight to complement a handgun" thread you recommended. Good info. Also looked at the website for classes.

Dropping TK12, TA20

Reading up on Eagletac P20C2 MK 2 now.

Reading next: Quark 123-2 Tactical or AA-2 Tactical, SureFire G2L and 6PL, then TK11.

Last edited:

petersmith6

Enlightened
i second to 6d maglite..and its eco friendly..you can hit them again ..and again..and again..as for loosing your night vision...well as Your the one with the on/off switch ..just shut you eyes when you give them a quick blast.700 lumins should bugger ther night wision up abit..

Noctis

Enlightened
I would recommend a Stanley HID. Forget destroying your own night vision, your target will be blind for life. Wouldn't hurt to keep some sunglasses next to it either:devil:.

But realistically, I hope none of you guys have family members or cats in the same house as you. If you have a big dog, I doubt the possibility of an intruder should concern you.

Still, it's interesting how nobody mentioned the Malkoff M61. The hotspot is more than enough to blind someone at close to mid range, and the spill is perfect for lighting up a room.

Status
Not open for further replies.