Busch & Müller (B&M) IQ Cyo at 11.1Volt?

pe2er

Enlightened
My new VM will have a LUMOTEC IQ Cyo front light.
175qpe.jpg

The standard on-board battery is a B&M NiMH 4,5 Ah 6 volt one.

I Would like to convert the on-board electrical system to 11.2 Volt and use a LiPo battery. This is mainly because of the alarm that needs 12VDC to operate.

According to the manual, the Cyo can only be supplied with 7,5 Volt maximum. Doe anyone here have experience with what i inside this light? What would be required to have it run on a 3 cell LiPo?

Erwin

panicmechanic

Newly Enlightened
According to the manual, the Cyo can only be supplied with 7,5 Volt maximum. Doe anyone here have experience with what i inside this light? What would be required to have it run on a 3 cell LiPo?

Erwin

Just remove all the weird stuff inside and hook it onto an 1Amp current regulator, for instance this one from pcb-components. Dimming could then be done in three steps by switching the sense resistors (the one for 350mA soldered to the board, the switch will add other resisors in parallel). Or, choose the version with integrated dimmer.
Do not try to feed more than 7,5 Volts into the original parts, something will burn. But maybe this VM light is already modified to work at 6 Volts? A standard CYO @ 6V DC does not eat a lot of current.

BTW, this reflector (at least the first generation CYO's) works nicely with the XP-G...

pe2er

Enlightened
Thanks, that was what I was looking for :)

Dimming is not required. There are two small "Daytime Running Light" LEDS above the IQ Cyo.
ledknipperlichtvoor.jpg

I Doubt that they modify the IQ Cyo for 6 Volt. They even wire the LEDs for the turn indicator without driver :drool:

panicmechanic

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, that was what I was looking for :)

Dimming is not required. There are two small "Daytime Running Light" LEDS above the IQ Cyo.

You're welcome :)
Well, then you might get away cheaper with a bunch of these for different light applications in your Quest. Read the comments on that DX page about changing the output.
More on Busch&Mueller Electronics here, if you're interested.

pe2er

Enlightened
Simpler is better :D

Yes, I need some drivers for the other LEDs as well, so thanks for the tip. Thinking of operating it from two voltages initially (6V and 11V1) and then convert lights from the lower to the higher voltage one-by-one. I Know it might be easier to modify it all at the same time, but that would take too long - I want to drive it as soon and as much as possible :)