• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Problems with GDuP

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased this GDuP (March 2010) to power the Cree XR-E in my TnC Keylux AA light. I tested the assembled driver briefly and I get only two levels. Output measured 10mA and 250mA respectively. Looking at the specs this doesn't seem right. :thinking:

As advised I took extreme care when soldering. The driver isn't potted yet. Wayne, do you have any idea what can be wrong?

fyrstormer

Banned
Do you get two modes, or two modes and an "off" mode? If the latter, make sure you've run the calibration routine by flicking the light on/off/on about 15x, until the emitter starts pulsing.

I've bought a few high-output GDuPs from TSS recently, and they have a new calibration routine that checks each of the three modes to make sure they're in-spec. I think this is a much, much better design and I hope all GDuPs will be able to use this new programming going forward. In the meantime, you might want to buy/exchange for a high-output GDuP to get the new programming.

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear about your GDuP frustrations Freddy :sigh:

Have you received any help from Wayne concerning this issue?

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Agreed, try recalibrating. Did you fully complete the calibration sequence that started when you first applied power to it? It can be confusing sometimes as one might think the sequence is not fully complete & the user cuts it short.

I've had some GDuP that acted funny during the calibration. Once I completed the calibration I would get two levels of light & level that just momentarily flashed then no output until changing to the next mode.

I forget exactly what I did to get by this but it was either calibrating with either a primary or li-ion or it was cutting off the calibration sequence short before that last phase of ramping.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not certain if that is the new UI or the old. If you cycle it more than 15 times does it enter calibration ramping the light up down?

If it does I would let it completely calibrate and see if you get three levels.

You could be getting two levels with a near dead battery. The GDuP might be self resetting itself on high when the light is powered up the load on the battery could make it drop down and the processor resets. This will auto-cycle to low and you might think there were only two levels.

Make sure you are using a fresh battery and all battery paths are sufficient to carry the battery current. A poor ground wire connection can make the voltage as seen by the GDuP to be very low under heavy loads and this will cause the auto-cycling from high to low.

You might see a brief high and then low if it is auto-cycling due to low battery.

Wayne

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Calibration... hmmm... :thinking: Didn't know about this calibrating thing... :thinking:
To start calibration I have to switch the light on/off/on 15 times? :eek:
How does one see calibration has been started? :thinking:
Where can I read more about this calibration thing?
Thanks for helping me out my friends. :thumbsup:

fyrstormer

Banned
With the older UI, you blink the light 15 times and then leave it on, and the emitter ramps up/down/up/down in brightness a few times and then changes to a steady brightness. With the newer UI, as far as I can tell, the microprocessor checks the calibration every time the light is turned on, but without the obvious up/down/up/down ramping.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Calibration... hmmm... :thinking: Didn't know about this calibrating thing... :thinking:
To start calibration I have to switch the light on/off/on 15 times? :eek:
How does one see calibration has been started? :thinking:
Where can I read more about this calibration thing?
Thanks for helping me out my friends. :thumbsup:

Freddy, there's some info in post number 2 here. :wave:

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks much fyrstormer, Wayne and Will! :bow: :thumbsup:
I'll keep you guys updated. :wave: