NiteNumen
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: New 100 Lumen BluePoint LED Pen Light

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    219

    Default New 100 Lumen BluePoint LED Pen Light

    Browsing through the SnapOn tool catalog, I found a pen light rated at five times the luminous output of my current Streamlight pen lights. Streamlight claims around 20 lumens, Bluepoint claims 100 lumens.

    I thought you all might be interested in this, so here are some pictures and a bit of a write up.



    A comparison between my two Streamlights.

    For some reason, it comes with a silicone sheath around the end of the light. I think it is because the end of the light, near the emitter, gets very warm when left on for a long time. However, this sheath makes it nearly impossible to slide it easily into my shirt pocket. So, I removed it.





    As you can see here, the emitter is tiny. I am blown away by the output of this emitter, especially when compared to the output of my two Streamlights. The emitter in the blue point appears to be mounted directly onto the aluminum reflector (which is actually just a machined cone with a rough surface) to be used as a heat sink.



    HUGE difference in light output.




    And, just to show off:

    My LEDs:



    All my lights:


  2. #2
    Flashaholic* csshih's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Illumination Supply
    Posts
    3,918

    Default Re: New 100 Lumen BluePoint LED Pen Light

    that looks like it could be a golden dragon.... but what appears to be the reverse polarity red diode is too close to the middle.. hmmm.

  3. #3
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    417

    Default Re: New 100 Lumen BluePoint LED Pen Light

    it looks like a great penlight. It strongly resembles a sunlite penlight with the silicone sleeve that you mentioned. Then also the emitter doesn't look the the sunlites so it must be a new type. They sell theirs with a 65lumen head or a 100lumen head so they are rather close to what the bluepoint offers. Again being a snapon and bluepoint fan thy picked a good platform regardless. This seems to be a very versatile light. Also just to ask is how much was the bluepoint man asking for the light because these are 40 bucks but without the famous warranty you get with bluepoint.







    "When you do something right, no one remembers. When you do something wrong, no one forgets."
    Edison was right with dc all along...

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    219

    Default Re: New 100 Lumen BluePoint LED Pen Light

    Wow, that is the exact same light.

    The light was 45 dollars.

    On the box, it has part numbers for all of the attachments and LEDs you have shown in your post above.

  5. #5
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    417

    Default Re: New 100 Lumen BluePoint LED Pen Light

    they seem like great lights and they didnt get much attention on here due the name brand not meeting the criteria. It seems like it has the most options of any small light on here and the head getting hot is perfectly normal as this light is very small to dissipate that much power in a small package. I think the silicone sleeve is for impact safety as the lens is glass and helps a little with the impacts. Also have you tested the runtime?

    Also whats the black small light next to the bluepoint light? Type of Led, batteries brand and overall impression? Just curious...
    Last edited by ama230; 06-17-2010 at 10:04 PM.
    "When you do something right, no one remembers. When you do something wrong, no one forgets."
    Edison was right with dc all along...

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    219

    Default Re: New 100 Lumen BluePoint LED Pen Light

    Quote Originally Posted by ama230 View Post
    they seem like great lights and they didnt get much attention on here due the name brand not meeting the criteria. It seems like it has the most options of any small light on here and the head getting hot is perfectly normal as this light is very small to dissipate that much power in a small package. I think the silicone sleeve is for impact safety as the lens is glass and helps a little with the impacts. Also have you tested the runtime?

    Also whats the black small light next to the bluepoint light? Type of Led, batteries brand and overall impression? Just curious...
    No, I have not tested the run time.

    The black light is my UV led light for leak checking HVAC systems.

    I don't know anything about it other than it is very bright for a UV lamp, I would estimate it to be about 75 lumens.

    This is as much information as I can find: Link to Cornwell Tools Catalog

  7. #7

    Default Re: New 100 Lumen BluePoint LED Pen Light

    Thanks for the look! I love the recent crop of high output AAA penlights. What kind of switch is that?

  8. #8
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,908

    Default Re: New 100 Lumen BluePoint LED Pen Light

    That's definately the Sunlite Slim 2 http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...97&postcount=2

    That is actually the smaller Slim Jr., but it has the best picture of Sunlite's very own LED. It is however my understanding that the Slim 2 doesn't work too well on NiMH, which is rather unfortanate.
    What kind of self respecting nocturnal being cannot see in the dark, one way or another?

  9. #9
    Flashaholic* csshih's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Illumination Supply
    Posts
    3,918

    Default Re: New 100 Lumen BluePoint LED Pen Light

    aaahh! indeed! then in that case it is a cree die

  10. #10
    Flashaholic* Chrontius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,117

    Default Re: New 100 Lumen BluePoint LED Pen Light

    Quote Originally Posted by csshih View Post
    aaahh! indeed! then in that case it is a cree die
    Wait, Sunlite buys Cree dies and uses their own phosphor?

  11. #11
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    562

    Default Re: New 100 Lumen BluePoint LED Pen Light

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrontius View Post
    Wait, Sunlite buys Cree dies and uses their own phosphor?
    well, cree does make like 1/3 of all blue (meaning white) and green led dice for the entire planet, mostly for other companies to put their own phosphor dope on.

  12. #12

    Thumbs up Re: New 100 Lumen BluePoint LED Pen Light

    Quote Originally Posted by ama230 View Post
    it looks like a great penlight. It strongly resembles a sunlite penlight with the silicone sleeve that you mentioned. Then also the emitter doesn't look the the sunlites so it must be a new type. They sell theirs with a 65lumen head or a 100lumen head so they are rather close to what the bluepoint offers. Again being a snapon and bluepoint fan thy picked a good platform regardless. This seems to be a very versatile light. Also just to ask is how much was the bluepoint man asking for the light because these are 40 bucks but without the famous warranty you get with bluepoint.







    THANKS!! Where? When can I get one of these?

  13. #13
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,908

    Default Re: New 100 Lumen BluePoint LED Pen Light

    Quote Originally Posted by csshih View Post
    aaahh! indeed! then in that case it is a cree die
    Where'd that come from?
    What kind of self respecting nocturnal being cannot see in the dark, one way or another?

  14. #14
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    417

    Default Re: New 100 Lumen BluePoint LED Pen Light

    Quote Originally Posted by tsask View Post
    THANKS!! Where? When can I get one of these?
    http://www.powerledlighting.com/

    they have all the variations and accessories.
    "When you do something right, no one remembers. When you do something wrong, no one forgets."
    Edison was right with dc all along...

  15. #15
    Flashaholic* Ryanrpm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fallon, NV
    Posts
    850

    Default Re: New 100 Lumen BluePoint LED Pen Light

    I love the Sunlite brand.....perhaps this Bluepoint light is Snap-On's name placed on a Sunlite light.

    Anyways, in my prior days on this forum, I placed a few reviews of Sunlite lights....here is a few if you all are interested. I heavily use the Utility and the 8w. The Slims have had their use until I kept losing them!

    Sunlite Slim 2

    Sunlite Slim Jr

    Sunlite 8wFP

    Sunlite 16wFP

    Sunlite FP80

    Sunlite Utility
    My Sunlite Reviews: 8wFP, 16wFP, FP80, 8w Utility Head, Slim Jr., Slim2.
    My "High Output Thrower" Review

  16. #16
    Flashaholic* 276's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,550

    Default Re: New 100 Lumen BluePoint LED Pen Light

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanrpm View Post
    I love the Sunlite brand
    Surefire,Inova,4Sevens,Fenix,Olight,Malkoff, AEX25,Xeray50,Polarion Aybss Dual, AElight 30-50 watt,Wiseled tactical 2000,Peak, Lupine Wilma TL, .......

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •