Surefire Saint Minimus Parasitic Drain

mbw_151

Enlightened
I would like to know if there is any parasitic drain in a Surefire Saint Minimus. I've searched and didn't find anything. My Saint does not seem to have the equivalent of a "lock out tailcap" so that I can guarantee that it doesn't go flat if there is drain. I bought this for emergency so I would like it loaded and ready to go, but if it's going to drain the battery while stored I'll need a different plan.

WDR65

Enlightened
I am returning mine to Surefire today to get that checked out. When I recieved mine the battery was dead in the package and it was still sealed. That made me wonder and when I first had another dead battery in it after about a month with little use. I thought that perhaps I hadn't turned it all the way off, but I've been very careful since and have had to replace about three batteries.

I expected problems considering this is their first foray into headlamps, but the circuitry was not one of the problems that I thought would occur. Overall though I still like the Minimus.

DaveG

Enlightened
I was just about to order a Minimus,now I am not so sure.Is this battery drain problem a common trouble with the whole line or just a few units.

WDR65

Enlightened
DaveG,
I'm not sure. I haven't run across another post that I can remember mentioning it and my dealer hadn't heard of the problem either. I don't think its common because there are people on here who have had theirs a lot longer than I have and I believe someone would have noticed by now.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
My very small sample size (one) has had the same battery in it since the first day the minimus was available. I have only used it on very low, or short burts of brighter, and the battery is still fine.

This tells us....very little, but if there is a drain, it is not a terrible one.

csa

Enlightened
I don't have any noticeable battery drain either. It's nearly unmeasurable even with good equipment.

red02

Enlightened
Isn't there a way to disconnect the wire from the battery pack or the LED assembly?

paulr

Flashaholic
I just checked mine and found it draws 32 uA (0.000032 amps) when switched "off".

That would drain a battery in about 5 years (1400 mAH), or alternatively, after 2 years your battery is 40% depleted. That isn't great but I'd say it's tolerable for a light getting any regular use. I'm in the process of getting an issue sorted about a light with much higher drain. For the Minimus I'd just leave the battery outside the light if you're storing it. If you need lignt instantly in an emergency your first go-to light would probably be a handheld light anyway.

mbw_151

Enlightened
Thanks for the help. I guess I'll have to store it with the battery removed like my spare HDS. I love the UI of the Minimus. I don't blow out my night vision like I sometimes do with my Zebras with the push button, so it's worth the extra hassle. I just wish Surefire had set these up to lock out like the C and E series lights. Maybe they'll do an update someday.

WDR65

Enlightened
I called Surefire CS to see what was up with mine and they said it had an electrical fault without going into any detail. I have spoken with other people who owns Saints and have been using them regularly and they didn't have the same problem I did. Mine would drain over two to three days and had a dead battery in it when I received it.

Surefire told me that they were replacing it, so score another point for their outstanding customer service.

derangboy

Enlightened
For what it's worth, mine does not have any measurable drain (my DMM isn't all that good). It's had the same CR123 in it since January and it still goes to full power.