Now electrical measurements // Mac EDC SST-50 output measurements

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

Thought I could share.
This is a comparison between a Haiku XR-E and Mac's EDC from fourth run.
The Haiku High level was taken as a reference (100% mark).

You will note how Mac's medium is as bright as the haiku's high...

image20100619143234.jpg

Edit : version used it a titanium 2800mA warm tint.

---------------------------
Electrical measurements.

I don't think it has been stated anywhere whether the converter was actually providing regulated output at all levels but I have found that it is not.

Using a bench power supply and lux meter, I started from 4.2V of input voltage (= a fully charged RCR123) and went down, watching lux reading. I noted the following :

Low : Unregulated. 50% of 4.2V's light output is reached at 3.47V. At 4.2V the current draw is approx 0.11A (0.46W), at 50% the current draw is 0.05A (0.17W).

Med : Unregulated. 50% of 4.2V's light output is reached at 3.51V. At 4.2V the current draw is approx 0.84A (3.53W), at 50% the current draw is 0.38A (1.33W).

High : Unregulated. 50% of 4.2V's light output is reached at 3.31V. At 4.2V the current draw is approx 2.75A (11.55W), at 50% the current draw is 1.25A (4.14W).

Now, using a new and freshly charged IMR cell, I noted these input current draw :
- Low : 0.10A
- Med : 0.67A
- High : 2.21A

Obviously 2.8A to the LED is probably never reached. I pretty much expected that the "burst" level would not regulated on the 2800mA version but finding all the levels are unregulated was a surprise. I don't know why but I did assume all levels would be supposedly regulated.

No big deal but definitely something one might want to know.

Last edited:

bobjane

Enlightened
Re: Mac EDC SST-50 output measurements

Which Mac EDC driver are you measuring?

Also, how do they compare in terms of throw/usable distance?

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm, I've got both in my apartment Haiku XR-E & both the warm & cool 2.8 SST50 EDC. I'm at my house (300 miles from my apartment now) right now - next week I'll do a visual check. I've used my Haiku and the warm EDC at work & both are certainly "adequate".

I just received the cool SST50 EDC light engine / pill. I had 2 warms & Lisantica wanted to try the warm so we swapped. I haven't tried that at work yet, been EDCing my Ti PD XPG this last week. It is also adequate.

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast

Which Mac EDC driver are you measuring?

Also, how do they compare in terms of throw/usable distance?

I forgot to state : I have the warm 2800mA version.

Both lights were running on new and freshly charged IMR cells.

bobjane

Enlightened

Hmm, I've got both in my apartment Haiku XR-E & both the warm & cool 2.8 SST50 EDC. I'm at my house (300 miles from my apartment now) right now - next week I'll do a visual check. I've used my Haiku and the warm EDC at work & both are certainly "adequate".

I just received the cool SST50 EDC light engine / pill. I had 2 warms & Lisantica wanted to try the warm so we swapped. I haven't tried that at work yet, been EDCing my Ti PD XPG this last week. It is also adequate.

A comparison between the Haiku XR-E and cool 2.8 SST50 would be great.